Introducing the xDuoo TA-66 OTL Tube Amplifier - Now Available on Apos Audio
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #91 of 117
Interesting, because I found some comments below on YouTube "Z Reviews" TA-66 video saying that N62 is 6AX7 tube equivalent and can be directly replaced with 12AX7 tube.

My understanding was that there are equivalent tubes that exist but these are two different form-factors, and if you want to use a 12AX7 tube you need an adapter, which for me in Canada seem to go for 20 bucks or so a piece

But I could totally be mistaken, I don't know a ton about tube amps yet

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #93 of 117
It crossed my mind since I have Schiit Magni Heresy,
which is not in use at the moment, so I could use it as a pre-amp for TA-26S.
I did it, and man, that thing has so much power now that I can drive Sennheisers barely touching the volume knob :)
I can't even max the volume on Magni; I am keeping it at 12 o'clock, and at 12 o'clock, the TA-26S is already loud.
When I max the volume on Magni, I am at 8 o'clock on TA-26S already on high volume..insane :)
I could say that sound got better, but I will leave it on the volume impressions...for now :)

It can be done the same with TA-66.

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #94 of 117
Would anyone know if I can use a PSVane CV181-II that I have here at home on the TA-66? I think it is compatible with 6n8p. Or is there an adapter that I can use to take advantage of this valve that I have at home? At the same time I wonder if anyone has already tested it with the HD800s.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #95 of 117
Would anyone know if I can use a PSVane CV181-II that I have here at home on the TA-66? I think it is compatible with 6n8p. Or is there an adapter that I can use to take advantage of this valve that I have at home? At the same time I wonder if anyone has already tested it with the HD800s.
CV181 and 6SN7 may be compatible with 6N8P, but the power tube on TA-66 is Chinese 6N5P, which has a different voltage and about 20db less gain, so it may not work at all, or if it does, you will need to turn the volume WAY up.

-Ed

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #96 of 117
CV181 and 6SN7 may be compatible with 6N8P, but the power tube on TA-66 is Chinese 6N5P, which has a different voltage and about 20db less gain, so it may not work at all, or if it does, you will need to turn the volume WAY up.

-Ed
Ed, Thank you very much!! I wanted to take advantage of the great quality of the CV181-II, but unfortunately I won't be able to do so. Does the TA-66 with stock tubes already sound decent and with quality? Or would it be important and necessary to change the tubes from the start? I think I'm going to buy the TA-66, but if you have any tips on good tubes to pair with it, I could take the opportunity to buy it along with the amp.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #97 of 117
Ed, Thank you very much!! I wanted to take advantage of the great quality of the CV181-II, but unfortunately I won't be able to do so. Does the TA-66 with stock tubes already sound decent and with quality? Or would it be important and necessary to change the tubes from the start? I think I'm going to buy the TA-66, but if you have any tips on good tubes to pair with it, I could take the opportunity to buy it along with the amp.
I actually bought aftermarket tubes for mine at the same time I ordered my TA-66, and I installed them immediately without listening to the stock ones since I had not heard great things in general about Chinese 6N5P tubes. For the preamp stage, I had great experiences with Voskhod Rocket tubes in the past with a tube preamp, and they make a 6N2P-EV, so I ordered one of them. The Chinese 6N5P power tube is compatible with Russian 6H13C or American 6AS7G, and in doing some research on these tubes, there’s a company called Atma-Sphere that builds over $100,000 tube speaker amps using 6AS7G tubes, so I bought the one they use in their MS3 amplifier, the SED winged-C 6AS7G.

-Ed

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #98 of 117
I actually bought aftermarket tubes for mine at the same time I ordered my TA-66, and I installed them immediately without listening to the stock ones since I had not heard great things in general about Chinese 6N5P tubes. For the preamp stage, I had great experiences with Voskhod Rocket tubes in the past with a tube preamp, and they make a 6N2P-EV, so I ordered one of them. The Chinese 6N5P power tube is compatible with Russian 6H13C or American 6AS7G, and in doing some research on these tubes, there’s a company called Atma-Sphere that builds over $100,000 tube speaker amps using 6AS7G tubes, so I bought the one they use in their MS3 amplifier, the SED winged-C 6AS7G.

-Ed
Great, Ed!! I'll take a look at your recommendations. Thanks!

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #99 of 117
Ed, Thank you very much!! I wanted to take advantage of the great quality of the CV181-II, but unfortunately I won't be able to do so.
If the volume is the only problem, I wrote above, with the pre-amp, TA gets an insane volume.
I can test HD800S when my TA-66 comes, soon...but I don't see why it wouldn't be OK.
I have several Sennheisers and they all sound good with TA.
If TA-66 is warmer than TA-26S, then it would be an even better pairing than TA-26S.

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #100 of 117
If the volume is the only problem, I wrote above, with the pre-amp, TA gets an insane volume.
I can test HD800S when my TA-66 comes, soon...but I don't see why it wouldn't be OK.
I have several Sennheisers and they all sound good with TA.
If TA-66 is warmer than TA-26S, then it would be an even better pairing than TA-26S.

Cheers!
I see that the TA-26s uses the 6N8P in the preamp section.
In this case, I could easily use the CV181-II.

When Ed spoke above, I wasn't too worried about volume.
I was more reluctant because of the different voltage... I don't know if it could cause any problems.
(Sorry, I'm still a beginner in this tube world)

I saw the Zeos review (p.s.: I don't really like his reviews. I think they don't help much, but unfortunately we still have few reviews of the TA-66) and he compared it with the TA- 26.
He liked the TA-66 better.
If the sound of the two is similar when listening to the HD800s, I think I would go for the TA-26s just to be able to use the PSvane CV181-II that I already have with me and I really like the sound of this tube. And the price difference between the two is still within the limit for me.

I'll look forward to your impressions of the TA-66 + HD800s.

But on the TA-26s, do the HD800s sound good?

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #101 of 117
I was more reluctant because of the different voltage... I don't know if it could cause any problems.
Haha...I am the same...I have no clue about tubes at all...learning just right now, too,
I commented on the volume because Edward Ng wrote that lack of volume might be a problem. :)

I like Z...

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #102 of 117
I see that the TA-26s uses the 6N8P in the preamp section.
In this case, I could easily use the CV181-II.

When Ed spoke above, I wasn't too worried about volume.

I saw the Zeos review (p.s.: I don't really like his reviews. I think they don't help much, but unfortunately we still have few reviews of the TA-66) and he compared it with the TA- 26.
He liked the TA-66 better.
If the sound of the two is similar when listening to the HD800s, I think I would go for the TA-26s just to be able to use the PSvane CV181-II that I already have with me and I really like the sound of this tube. And the price difference between the two is still within the limit for me.

I'll look forward to your impressions of the TA-66 + HD800s.

I use quad Psvane CV181-T MkIIs in my Freya+ preamp in my speaker chain and I agree, they are amazing tubes!

-Ed

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #103 of 117
Hmm, at the moment, I still haven't listened to HD800S. I did it with HD820, and it sounds great, but it's not perfect in the bass section.
But that also depends on the music you are listening to.
I will try HD800 in a few days when I get new tubes...then I will know more.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #105 of 117
I wanted to ask yesterday...why do you have to wait that long?
Today, I got an e-mail from the store I have ordered TA-66 and that delivery is delayed until the end of May. :)
The same store I have bought TA-26S from.

So, it seems, this time, I am going to wait, either. :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back