iPhone 7 severe issue with MFi DACs
Sep 23, 2016 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is the issue that I've confirmed with 2 different MFi DAC/Amps, the Sony PHA-1A and the Creative Sound Blaster E5. It seems like samples are dropping or something, because I'm getting clicks and pops with the PHA-1A and with the E5 I'll get some severe distortion artifacts (presumably because of the DSP between the input and the DAC).

The problem is identical between iOS 10.0.1 and 10.0.2

The problem doesn't exist when using the wireless streaming with the E5, and seems limited to strictly the lightning connector.

Has anyone else experienced the same with their MFi DACs?

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 44
I always thought MFi was a selling point......Apple needs to get their iOS together

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 44
I always thought MFi was a selling point......Apple needs to get their iOS together

iOS it just works............. only with their proprietary cables that is.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 44
Really has nothing to do with the cables. I could not care less about proprietary cables. The issue here is that when the device is having issues sending audio when acting as a USB slave. Both the PHA-1A and the E5 act as USB hosts when you connect the iPhone via a lightning cable.

I can connect the PHA-1A using the Camera Connection Kit (i.e. forcing the iPhone to be the USB host) and it works just fine.

BUT, this could be just my phone. I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue with their MFi devices (e.g. the ones I've listed or the Oppo HA-2, etc) and the iPhone 7.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 44
I am having this problem as well. Have you found any other web resources reporting this issue?

I am currently using a iPhone 7 Plus and have tested with a creative sound blaster E5 and X7. The E5 produces a scratching noise intermittently but I haven't been able to concretely produce the issue on the X7. I had no issues with the E5 on my iPhone 6 using iOS 9.3.3.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 44
Could be an iOS 10 issue. Apple's new $9 dac dongle is backwards compatible to all lightning model devices but they require iOS 10 to work. Most likely the mfi spec changed something in iOS 10 compatiblity.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 44
Could be an iOS 10 issue. Apple's new $9 dac dongle is backwards compatible to all lightning model devices but they require iOS 10 to work. Most likely the mfi spec changed something in iOS 10 compatiblity.

Then I am patiently awaiting a fix. Both public betas for 10.1 haven't resolved the issue and I submitted a detailed bug report on the problem.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 44

I think I may have a fix, for the E5 at least. Plug the phone in with the normal lightning cable or connect by Bluetooth. Open the Sound Blaster Central app. Once the app connects to the E5, go to settings and check to see if "high resolution audio playback" is enabled. If it's not, click it and see if that clears up your issue. Mine was disabled, once enabling I haven't had the issue since. Maybe there is a similar issue on your Sony. Good luck and let me know if it helps.

Update: Still getting the noise but less frequent

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 44
Same issue here. Iphone 7plus with Sony PHA-1A doesn't work well. After a while clicks are audible. Once it happens they are always at the same position of a song. Unplugging the cable and re-connecting helps for a while.
Hope an update can fix this on the iOS side!

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 44
  Same issue here. Iphone 7plus with Sony PHA-1A doesn't work well. After a while clicks are audible. Once it happens they are always at the same position of a song. Unplugging the cable and re-connecting helps for a while.

Good to hear I'm not the only one. The fact that it's reproducible helps a lot I think. Definitely puts the blame on the Apple side.

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 44
  Finally, I'd like to point out the irony in external audio devices struggling with MFi lightning when the whole point (or so they say) of removing the 3.5mm jack is to eventually improve audio quality.

Well, I certainly want to use the Lightning connector to improve sound quality.  But that is clearly not Apple's goal.  They are removing the 3.5mm jack to push folks to Beats headphones (or AirPods) playing audio over standard Bluetooth (ie. not even Apt-X or LDAC....).  Unfortunately, this is not a play towards improved audio quality on their part.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 44

A few questions:

- Is your PHA-1A identified as such by the iPhone?  I.e. when you select the output device in the iOS Control Center is it listed as "PHA-1A"?

- Is the iPhone sending the bitstream data in the native format?

I am asking because with my Sony MDR-1ADAC (which AFAIK is basically a PHA-1A integrated into a set of MDR-1A headphones), when I use Sony's included Lightning cable and connect it as designed to my iPhone 7+, the device is recognized as "Dock" (not "MDR-1ADAC" as it should be).  Biggest problem is that everything is output in only 44.1kHz.  The MDR-1ADAC supports 44.1kHz/48kHz/16-bit when connected via it's Lightning cable, but with iOS 10.0.x everything is getting sent out at 44.1kHz only.  I get this same behavior on iPad Air 2 or iPhone 5S, all with iOS10.0.3.

Interestingly, if I use the iPhone 7+'s included Apple Lighting Earpods, or if I use the included Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle, the iPhone sends out either 44.1kHz or 48kHz, whichever is most appropriate for a given source.  Yet, I cannot get it to do this with my MDR-1ADAC.

I have the feeling that there a LOT of bugs in the iOS10 lightning audio support right now.  Very frustrating...

EDIT: Just to add - I am also getting infrequent, faint clicks also in audio with the MDR-1ADAC connected via Lighting.  In fact, it was something I was suspecting I was hearing but wasn't quite sure, as it doesn't happen all that often, but now that I see others with this issue....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back