iRiver HP140 resurrected...and question on DAC
Apr 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BeatPoet

New Head-Fier
Hi

I was searching through my (gigantic) box of sundry leads and cables today and came across my old H140 and a Samsung YP-Z5. I replaced both with an ipod 80gb classic a while back for convenience's sake.

As an experiment I decided to load both of these players with the Beatles stereo re-masters - converted FLAC to lame mp3 v0 at approx 245kpbs.

I've listened to these albums countless times on my ipod in the last 6 months (aac at 256kpbs vbr), so I knew I'd instantly recognise any differences. I've upgraded to Senn IE8's since getting the ipod and had never heard either of the old players through them.

First up was the YP-Z5. And my impression? I was blown away. A complete step up in quality from the ipod. The music was both more detailed, more rhythmic, immersive, natural. Simply more "musical" in every way. I stared at the little player in my hands, almost aghast. How could I not have been listening to this? Ok the 4gig memory is a limitation and the UI is a bit clunky, but, being flash memory based it's certainly about to become my running companion.

Next up was the H140. I expected another step up, but didn't really find it. It was very similar to the Samsung, so I was pretty happy. Still a great leap over the ipod.

Having listened to them, I've decided to ditch my itunes set up and go back to the future as it were. I'm more than pleased with the SQ of the H140 as it is. However, I'd like to improve my laptop sound by adding a DAC/amp.

Is there any DAC/amp set up I could use with both laptop and H140? My budget is up to £300. I've read a few threads and the iBasso D10, fiio e5/e7 comes up a lot. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back