iRiver iHP-140 with 128GB SSD
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #151 of 165
@raptus Funny you should ask as I did this very upgrade only this week on my 12-year old iRiver iHP-140. There are three steps to the procedure.

1. Install Rockbox on your stock player (remembering that if you ever want to reboot into normal iRiver firmware you simply hold the record button when powering on). Once installed make a copy of your current hard disk, *especially* the hidden .rockbox folder.
2. Install the battery (quite tricky to do properly - I did it the cheating way by cutting the old battery wires and splicing the new battery wires to it which saves having to take the whole motherboard out).
3. Install the new SSD. I bought the 128GB KingSpec 1.8-inch IDE CF 50-pin SSD Solid State Disk (MLC) which doesn't need any adapters it just plugs straight in.

In the above process step 1 is easy. The only tricky bit is that you can't install Rockbox without a copy of your iRiver firmware, and you must install Rockbox to be able to see the bigger disk sizes and allow FLAC support.

Step 2 is extremely fiddly to do properly as the battery connector is under the motherboard so you have to take it out. As I said I cheated by splicing but the wires are very short and thin so it's best to solder them rather than twisting.

Step 3 is the easiest but you have to do it last. Once disks are swapped simply boot into normal iRiver firmware by pressing record during power on, format the disk to FAT32 (you may have to download a free tool for Windows to do this), copy your files back and then reboot into Rockbox.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #152 of 165
Hi Systems!

I've been using rockbox for several years, that's why I need more storage now (FLAC). :)

Thanks for your help. Did you wrap the soldered wires with some kind of insulation?

Cheers

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #153 of 165
Hi,
Yes I wrapped the splices with a tiny amount of electrical tape.

The guide I used was here up to step 8 (photo links don't work any more):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/434921/iriver-h120-with-80gb-hdd-guide

All you need is a T5 screwdriver, a tiny bit of electrical tape and steady hands.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #154 of 165
OP here. Delighted that people are STILL rocking the older iRiver players and modding them. They were an absolute classic for sure.

And me? Well... I'm still SORT OF listening to an iRiver every day, only it's got the words 'Astell' and 'Kern' on it...

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #155 of 165
Thanks for the info in this thread. I'm researching the same upgrade.
I've had someone tell me that SSDs slow down quite a lot if they are too full or if too many files are deleted (without wiping it completely?). I googled about ssds and it seems there's some validity.. Have any of you guys with ssds in your playeThanks for the info in this thread. I'm researching the same upgrade.
I've had someone tell me that SSDs slow down quite a lot if they are too full or if too many files are deleted (without wiping it completely?). I googled about ssds and it seems there's some validity.. Have any of you guys with ssds in your player noticed it slow down over time? Or if the drive is full? Thanks for any help in advancer noticed it slow down over time? Or if the drive is full? Thanks for any help in advance

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #156 of 165
Hi again.

I've just installed a new KingSpec 128 GB but it shows only 118 GB, both in Swissknife and under Windows. I'm not likely to reach the full capacity anytime soon but I'd like to have what I paid for at my disposal. Did I miss anything in the process? After replacing the disk with the SSD I connected the device to the computer, switched it on the normal way (not using the record button to initiate the original iRiver firmware). Then I just saw a message on the iRiver's screen that it's in the USB connection mode. I have Rockbox 3.13 (bootloader v. 6).

Any ideas? I bought the SSD on Amazon from MemoryC.

Cheers

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #161 of 165
This isn't gigabytes versus gigabits though. You're both correct, it's just that the description used in this particular post is wrong.

Yup, I got the terminology wrong but wanted to post the explanation. I've encountered this before, as have many others, and the question gets asked a lot.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #163 of 165
Hi
Looking for some advice with a problem with my iRiver H140. I fitted a 128gb ssd (Kingspec) drive a couple of years ago (did the same to my iRiver H340 as well. New batteries in both and both had been previously Rockboxed. Really happy with everything. However recently the H140 has developed a weird fault! Some tracks sort of speed up (bit like fastforwarding for a few seconds) at exactly the same spot. The same tracks play perfectly when the H140 is booted back into the original iRiver firmware.
I've swopped drives between the two players and the H140 does exactly the same but the H340 works perfectly, I've also reformatted the drive and it does the same thing in the H140 but not H340.
Currently I'm using the H140 with the iRiver firmware (EU 1.66 version) but I'm really frustrated by the lack of gapless playback, limited formats and all that wasted space on the drive - I've reached the 9999 song limit in about 56gbs, which is about half my collection.
Has anybody any ideas or is it time for the H140 to be retired?
I've Googled this for a couple of weeks but can't find any mention of it. Because f the swopped drives and the fact that the songs play fine in the original firmware I'm assuming that it is a problem with Rockbox or the H140.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Simon

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #164 of 165
Hi guys,
sorry for the offtopic, just wanted to drop the question here and maybe we can go on in private or in the original topic I started (so I'm sure that other h140 users will read this...)
Has anybody of you came across the following issue? my aged (13 years old) ihp140 only works (perfectly) if I plug the battery charger. The following happens:
-  as soon as I connect it to the battery charger it switchs ON automatically (that's strange as it has never done that, it's not supposed to get on when plugged). The green light is blinking irregularly.
- then if I switch it off (when plugged) it never switches on again. I have to disconnect and reconnect the charger to have it getting running again as menitned above.
- if I unplug the charger from 220V it shuts down.
The battery charger is ok, I tested it and all output ampere and volt are there...

I tried resetting it while plugged, I tried formatting it, I have replaced the battery with a brand new one and left many hours under charge but the behaviour is still exactly the same.

Any clue/suggestion?

Julia

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #165 of 165
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back