Is there a better amp than Ferrum for HE1000V2?
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ricco275

100+ Head-Fier
I just got the HE1000V2 and love the precision and clarity and wide soundstage.

I’d like to improve the well known weak points mainly the bass presentation and the low engaging feeling.

Is there a better amp than the Ferrum combo to achieve that?
Would a Lavricables grand silver cable help or is there a better option?

Many thanks for your valuable advice.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 13

I’d like to improve the well known weak points mainly the bass presentation and the low engaging feeling.

Personal preference here, but the Gold Note DS-10 and the HeadAmp GS-X Mini are worth checking out with the HE1000 series Headphones.

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 13

“Low engaging feeling”?! As Duke Ellington wrote: “It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing.”

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 13
“Low engaging feeling”?! As Duke Ellington wrote: “It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing.”
Ah! Let’s say relatively low engaging. I love the HE1000v2 but vs the Elite is certainly low engaging. We could start saying the Elite is a fun headphone and the HEK is not of course. I would like to have the dynamic (as in more contrast between treble and bass) of the Elite in the HEK.

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 13
Personal preference here, but the Gold Note DS-10 and the HeadAmp GS-X Mini are worth checking out with the HE1000 series Headphones.
Thanks. GSX was on my radar. Does it emphasis the bass more than Ferrum?

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks. GSX was on my radar. Does it emphasis the bass more than Ferrum?
I tried the Ferrum once but barely recollect how it sounded with any of the Headphones I had available. So I'm not qualified to answer that. But I'm currently listening to my HE1000se using the following chain Windows 11 PC-->Qobuz-->Roon-->TEAC UD-505-->HeadAmp GS-X Mini (High Gain). Spent the last 3 hours listening to random songs. I'd say its a rather engaging sound. The GS-X Mini does add a hint of warmth and heft to the music. As always your mileage may vary. If you can demo the GS-X mini with your gear I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

For context I also haven't heard anything connected to the GS-X Mini that I didn't like. I have pretty much tried Audeze's lineup, DCA's Stealth, Expanse, Aeon 2 Noire, Hifiman Arya SE, HE1000se, Susvara, Focal Clear, Clear MG, Celestee, Stellia, Abyss AB1266 Phi TC, Meze Empyrean Elite, Sennheiser HD800s, HD820, and all the IEMs in my signature with the GS-X Mini and Various DACs (Gold Note DS-10, TEAC UD-505, Weiss DAC501, Chord Qutest, and T+A HA200)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 13
From my experience, you need time to get used to headphones, it doesn't matter if it's a burn or a brain burn, in reality you need it!
Actually headphones that initially made me say 'wow' after a while I no longer liked them and headphones that initially sounded anemic and dry came to life! And the enjoyment of them is for a long time,
Take your time patiently and don't panic,
There were times when I would buy equipment, listen for five minutes, not enjoy it, and then buy another, more expensive one...usually it ended in disappointment,
When I grew up I realized that it takes time to love good things and it takes getting used to,
Sometimes you see people say about a certain product that it's amazing, etc. and then you buy it and don't understand what the fuss is about,...
And it's not because you were lied to, that's just how it is, you need time and patience,
Of course there are times when it really isn't to your taste, but you can't judge from a short listen,
ferrum is an excellent amplifier, the difference between it and more expensive amplifiers is in subtleties,
Not necessarily that a more expensive amplifier is what matters to you,
This is my personal opinion only, and this is my experience

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 13
From my experience, you need time to get used to headphones, it doesn't matter if it's a burn or a brain burn, in reality you need it!
Actually headphones that initially made me say 'wow' after a while I no longer liked them and headphones that initially sounded anemic and dry came to life! And the enjoyment of them is for a long time,
Take your time patiently and don't panic,
There were times when I would buy equipment, listen for five minutes, not enjoy it, and then buy another, more expensive one...usually it ended in disappointment,
When I grew up I realized that it takes time to love good things and it takes getting used to,
Sometimes you see people say about a certain product that it's amazing, etc. and then you buy it and don't understand what the fuss is about,...
And it's not because you were lied to, that's just how it is, you need time and patience,
Of course there are times when it really isn't to your taste, but you can't judge from a short listen,
ferrum is an excellent amplifier, the difference between it and more expensive amplifiers is in subtleties,
Not necessarily that a more expensive amplifier is what matters to you,
This is my personal opinion only, and this is my experience
Fully agree on the principle. I was wondering if based and consolidated experiences there were good advice on amp and cables to be a good pairing with the HE1000v2 and improving its bass.
Will give time to the Ferrum anyhow. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 13
Why did you change HEK with elite?
I did the opposite. I am moving from Elite to HEK.
I like the Elite very much in terms of engaging sound, stock tuning and design. But I find the HEK more precise, accurate, true. At least based on how I listen to music of course. I listen to rock blues and jazz.
The HEK is certainly not perfect for me but I think it’s less of a compromise even if I almost hate it’s aesthetic, namely the tall metal band, I don’t dare looking at me in a nearby mirror when listening to music with them.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 13
Fully agree on the principle. I was wondering if based and consolidated experiences there were good advice on amp and cables to be a good pairing with the HE1000v2 and improving its bass.
Will give time to the Ferrum anyhow. Thanks.
To @gadus ' point, spend at least 300 hours of listening time before you opt for something else. There may be changes in sound due to mental adjustment, actual burn in, or even your mood on a particular day when listening to music. Either way, demo any prospective gear if possible and enjoy your music. Hopefully, you will find the right solution that is most pleasant to your ears. Enjoy the music!

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 13
Had you tried current focused amplifier like Bakoon line of amp or Audio-GD or Questyle? They worked really really well with Planar.

I recently got a Bakoon HPA01 from a headfier here and love how it added excitement and liveness into the Abyss Diana Phi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back