ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #5,041 of 5,047
I've been using the ISN Neo 3 with my Cayin RU6 dongle and my Pixel 7 Pro phone for a while now. With a couple of other phones the background noise made the RU6 unusable, but the pairing of the Neo 3 with the RU6:and Pixel 7 Pro is stunning. The Neo 3s are my goto at the moment. The staging with this combination is fantastic and the tone and timbre of the Neo 3 is organically natural. With the RU6 even the bass is plenty. How in ***** name can those micro drivers produce such a big organic sound like they do. Amazing ISN magic!!! 😅😂🤣 I love my ISN IEMs but the Neo 3s are legendary already.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #5,042 of 5,047
Spent most of the day listening to my EST50s and just switched over to the Neo3s. Wow, the EST50s are just tremendous flagship IEMs, but the Neo3s offer such a fresh, vibrant sound it is really captivating. These little suckers are truly the IEM of the year for me. Easily the best planar implementation I've ever heard. Clarity, body, coherence, detail, and staging are all waaay up there. The bass is detailed, textured, and accurate, if not just a hair too subtle in terms of authority. But wow what a gem the Neo3 is. I wonder how many people pass it over because of its price, thinking it's just another generic mid-grade IEM. It's not. It's a dynamite sounding IEM at a relatively low price. Very engaging sound, with enough crispness in the sound to draw you in, but then it follows up with enough detail and solid imaging with a much larger soundstage than you would ever expect.

I agree with @dharmasteve that these are legendary. Or at least they should be. They definitely deserve more recognition for just how terrific they sound for a "simple" hybrid. A true example of tuning genius.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #5,043 of 5,047
TSMR FEAT (1 Knowles BA treble X 1 Knowles BA mids X 2x8mm DD bass)
HiBy R3 II DAP
ISN T-OCC cable
Penon Liqueur Series Silicone Eartips

Going on 7 days of solid burn-in made a huge difference, FEAT review in a day or two.......and ISN T-OCC review to follow, if I can still function? :)

Imagine the price of quality playback is getting fairly low cost.
The HiBy R3 II DAP at $179.00
The TSMR FEAT at $239.00
And the ISN T-OCC cable at just $119.00
DSC_0274.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_0271.jpegce.jpeg

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #5,045 of 5,047
Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
May 13, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #5,046 of 5,047
May 16, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #5,047 of 5,047
https://penonaudio.com/penon-os849.html $99.90
https://penonaudio.com/penon-gs849.html $99.90
https://penonaudio.com/penon-gd849.html $99.90
https://penonaudio.com/Penon-OCC849.html $99.90

Penon OCC849 Single Crystal Copper HiFi Audiophile IEMs Cable
Type-4 Litz configuration

Description

6n single crystal copper silver-plated cable
8 strands, single strand is 49 cores, a total of 8 × 49.
The plug contains 68% copper
The solder joints is silver – contained tin
Carbon fiber metal splitter and CNC integrated slider
Cable length: 1.2M

The OS849, GS849, GD849 and new one the Penon OCC849. Where in early 2018 the first of the series the OS849 cable was released. As such it was 68% Crystal Copper and a 32% silver core. Versatile and thick, really there was nothing like it at the time that came with an IEM. 6N purity with 8% silver in the copper wire plating. 49 stands and 8X49 stands in total so that’s how they got the name. The original OS849 cable costs $99.90 and provides a grand service and noticeably different from this new OCC849 cable. Where the original OS849 becomes more airy into how it deals with sonics, not being weighted down by the 63% copper plug of this new OCC849. I mean really there is a use for both, have a darker IEM that you want to gain stage expansion really both the OCC849 and the original OS849 do that. The difference is the OCC849 is more heavy gaining lower midrange details and added heft. Still there is nothing at all wrong with what the original does. In fact it was amazing how well rounded of a cable the original was, never coloring the sound, but moving forward to add definition and stage over most included cables. Later in my review I will go over more details about how these two cables are different. Yet there is a good feeling finding a cable Penon released in early 2018 that still performs grand arranging the details and stage to make any modern day IEM shine. Really it is almost like pure silver in how it adds energy, yet balanced to the fact that it is a copper/silver plated cable really in the end. That simply means we don’t have to worry about the OS849 ever getting too hot or bringing too much energy to out listening.

The GS849 and GD849:
These came after the OS849 and while still the build of the original OS849 brought new flavors of density due to the metallurgy make-up. The GS849 is a hybrid cable while still versatile it contains 18K Gold which adds density and thickness in comparison to the original OS849.

I used the Penon Volt today for testing as the volt is incredibly balanced, not too dark or too bright anyway. Yet it is revealing enough to easily show the character of each cable and how they are different. Now the best part about today was that there were never any fires to put out, or dullness to try and add clarity too. As such it was simply different flavors of good. Now that will not always be the case with other IEMs, but at least today it the Volt was always correct and even sounding, yet there was a specific character from each cable which in the end shined through!

In fact yesterday it was a little daunting to think I would compare all four cables and need to note how they performed, when in reality this write-up ended one of the easiest things to do. Like almost changing the EQ on your stereo and reporting in how each setting sounded.

The GS849 is still 18K gold plated OCC copper and the other half is silver plated OCC copper making 8 cores of 49 stands each thus 849. So it is simple in playback……..here we are offered a denser playback and owning slightly more weight than the original OS849, yet not the total warmth and copper sound of (maybe) the plug……….but whatever is doing it, the OCC849 is just a tad warmer despite the GS849 added note weight and density. Where to really get into this mess, the GS849 has a new and different midrange. A kind of beautiful imaged midrange, which showed a more vibrant color than the original OS849, yet still more airy and flying slightly higher, as not as grounded as the OCC849. Yet this may be my favorite cable of the bunch. I know you were thinking I was going to say this new OCC849 was best, and it may be with other IEMs…….but today with the Volt this takes the cake. And they really are all very different.

The GD849:
More 18K Gold! Coming out in September of 2020 it was a few years later than the original OS849. Here we are witnessing a cable with weight and authority, kind-of still vivid, but less on the vivid scale. Like the ISN GC4 there are very specific reasons you may want to included this cable, or if the ESTs in the Penon Volt are too hot for you……..which would make you a different outsider, but it could maybe happen…….then you may want to use the GD849 with the Volt. Because remember the Volt is so well rounded that none of the outcomes today were bad, just that each held a new and different tone slightly which could maybe go in order?

Volt uses:
  1. GS849
  2. OS849 tied to 3. OCC849
And finally last the GD849

Your results may very depending on IEM in use, DAP, ear-tips and personal preference.

Cheers!

The Penon OCC849:
DSC_1766.jpegwxd.jpeg

DSC_1765.jpegxw.jpeg

DSC_0053.jpegs1w1x.jpeg

DSC_0041.jpegsw.jpeg

DSC_1763.jpegxw1wx.jpeg

The OS849:
DSC_0029.jpegw.jpeg

The GS849:
DSC_0034.jpegyes.jpeg

And finally the GD849 with all of its bling: