"It Might Get Loud!"
Dec 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
I have this film pre-ordered on Blu-Ray. I have checked out the website and have seen the trailers, but it didn't play in any theaters near where I live. I was wondering if anyone saw it and what your review of it would be...
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVALover5498 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just watched the trailer for this and I have to say it looks really good. I'll have to pick it up when it's dropped.
jecklinsmile.gif

-Chris-

Ditto, looking forward to it.
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 19
I have a Blu-Ray copy coming today hopefully.

For those who have seen it, is there significant musical content? In other words, will I be needing my big amp?

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Blu-Ray copy coming today hopefully.

For those who have seen it, is there significant musical content? In other words, will I be needing my big amp?

My blu-ray came yesterday and I watched the film last night. This is what I posted in the "Rate The Last Movie You Watched" thread...I might have added that the guitar theme even trumps the music aspect of the film. You must watch the deleted scenes...two or three of those scenes should have been left in the film. (Jimmy shows Jack White and The Edge how he came up with "Kashmir," The Edge plays the guitar part to two or three U2 songs solo including "Bad," (which is my favorite U2 song...) and Jack White plays a mean blues song...)

"It Might Get Loud" [8.8/10]: Difficult to rate this movie. It's a documentary that's more about the love of the guitar than about the legendary guitarists that the film features. A must see for anyone obsessed with listening to, or playing the guitar. Frustrating at times when they began a certain riff and didn't finish the song. There were a few times when Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White started to jam on a certain riff and stopped abruptly. I've never seen a film quite like it. I enjoyed it a lot, my wife not so much.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bought and watched the regular DVD and really enjoyed it.

My TV is only 780p, but I've been buying Blu-Ray for when I upgrade. I've found my BR player to upconvert, or at least serve a superior picture with all my DVDs.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 19
I'm still using a old 29" CRT, but when my DVD player breaks (and it feels a bit wonky lately) I will be getting a Blu-Ray player with upscaling functions for future proofing.

But back to It Might Get Loud, I think fans of Led Zep and generally blues based rock will find it amusing. Personally, felt the Edge felt out of place of a few blues based jams, but overall, all three guitarists come across nicely. Very interesting documentary.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 19
The part where Page asks Edge whether he is sure about the chord in the U2 song "I will follow" was amusing too lol. In terms of getting 3 big name, instantly recognisable guitarists to ensure maximum viewer appeal across different age groups and musical tastes, I think the choice of these three guitarists was quite well done. I enjoyed the biographies of the players most of all. Maybe they can do another one with Keith Richards, Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The part where Page asks Edge whether he is sure about the chord in the U2 song "I will follow" was amusing too lol. In terms of getting 3 big name, instantly recognisable guitarists to ensure maximum viewer appeal across different age groups and musical tastes, I think the choice of these three guitarists was quite well done...
biggrin.gif

I thought that the comment by Page that you mention was either a bit of guitarist/ego, good-natured ribbing, or it was in response to or leading to that part where The Edge discusses how he modified, I believe it was, an E Chord. (I forget whether The Edge made that comment before the comment you mention or not..). I know the point of the three guitarists that were chosen for the film is one that can be debated endlessly. I noticed that Jimmy Page was the associate producer of the film. I bet that he had some say as to who the other two guitarists would be. I had a thought that Jack White was chosen because he's kind of like the young "blues/purist" side of Jimmy Page. The Edge might have been chosen because he's the technologically experimental side of Jimmy Page. (they mentioned how Page was instrumental in the development of the distortion/fuzz box, they briefly discussed his use of the violin bow, and they demonstrated the theramin in the closing credits and in the deleted scenes...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, felt the Edge felt out of place of a few blues based jams, but overall, all three guitarists come across nicely. Very interesting documentary.

I love all three of the guitarists that were featured in the film and I definitely agree that there were times when The Edge appeared somewhat uncomfortable with the other two. I have read interviews with the various members of U2 and they frequently discuss that when they began as a band they really couldn't play. I think that there may still be some deep-seated insecurity there. Of course, there can't be many guitarists that wouldn't experience some insecurity being on stage trading riffs with Jimmy Page.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 19
I liked the Edge's comment about not finding Spinal Tap to be funny.

Fpr a documentary, there was a lot of good music in it. I've senn it 3 times, and really like it. 9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back