JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #586 of 641
I noticed noise when using USB to connect computer to DAC. Noise disappeared when connected using optical. Atom sounds better now.

Noise is not present on the Violectric HPA 200 and the Questyle DAC's built in HPA though. They must have some built in noise filtering the Atom doesn't.

It's a $100 amp so it not a big issue to me.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #587 of 641
I noticed noise when using USB to connect computer to DAC. Noise disappeared when connected using optical. Atom sounds better now.

Noise is not present on the Violectric HPA 200 and the Questyle DAC's built in HPA though. They must have some built in noise filtering the Atom doesn't.

It's a $100 amp so it not a big issue to me.
Interesting. I'm going USB into my DAC and RCA from DAC to Atom and it's clean and quiet.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #589 of 641
I'm interested in upgrading my atom amp with a SCHIIT MAGNI HERESY. The only reason I want to do that is on paper (according to ASR measurement), HERESY has 2w output at 33 ohm while atom amp has a 1w output, and HERESY has a metal body instead of plastic one (better electromagnetic shielding perhaps?). Has anyone done a A/B testing on those 2 budget amp for objectivists?
Yes, as stated already, a side grade. However, I have compared these two amplifiers extensively. You may hear improvements with some headphones and degradation in sound with others. I have compared them with many headphones. Which headphones are you going to be using with it?

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #591 of 641
hd6xx, k712/hd800
With the AKG K712 I preferred the Schiit Magni Heresy slightly over the JDS Labs Atom.
With the Sennheiser HD-6XX preferred the Schiit Magni Heresy slightly over the JDS Labs Atom.
I do not own the Sennheiser HD-800.
So, not entirely a side grade. Yes, you will hear a slight improvement in sound.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #592 of 641
With the AKG K712 I preferred the Schiit Magni Heresy slightly over the JDS Labs Atom.
With the Sennheiser HD-6XX preferred the Schiit Magni Heresy slightly over the JDS Labs Atom.
I do not own the Sennheiser HD-800.
So, not entirely a side grade. Yes, you will hear a slight improvement in sound.
Thank you for the information.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #593 of 641
Thank you for the information.
You are welcome.
If you want a better value upgrade amp, look for a used Beyerdynamic A20 on eBay for $200. Much better sounding than the Schiit Magni Heresy and definitely an upgrade in sound quality. The sound stage on the Beyerdynamic A20 is wider than any amplifier I own. There is one right now on eBay with $20 shipping with option to offer. Perhaps offer $180? They pop up about once a month.

May 1, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #594 of 641
Does the Atom have enough power to drive the following headphones properly:

DT990 Pro
HD660S
HD600
HD650
HE400
T50RPMK3
Grado SR225i

??

Is there a headphone it can NOT drive ? if so, which ones ?

May 1, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #595 of 641
yes, hd6XX all of those in low gain it works great, the t50 maybe you need high gain, but plenty of power. and great sound. the plastic outside is the only worse thing, that is why it is cheaper, but you even get an aux analog extra input, that is great.

May 1, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #596 of 641
Does the Atom have enough power to drive the following headphones properly:

DT990 Pro
HD660S
HD600
HD650
HE400
T50RPMK3
Grado SR225i

??

Is there a headphone it can NOT drive ? if so, which ones ?
The JDS Labs Atom will drive all of these headphones properly. Now, if you want to squeeze the best sound out of them, you will need to spend $200 to $300. But, if you are at a $100 budget you should be fine with the JDS Labs Atom or a Schiit Magni.

May 2, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #597 of 641
I haven't heard DT990 or the Grados, but among the rest the only one I'd really say needs more juice is the T50RP. I didn't have my MK2 long before sending off to Modhouse, but that probably doesn't drastically alter power handling.

May 2, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #598 of 641
I have a creative x7 and it can drive t50rp very well....would you say that Atom is an upgrade to x7 ?

Does it make sense to buy Atom , when I already have x7 ?

Is there an amp in this price range that has more juice than Atom and x7 ? (Atom and x7 have the same power)

May 2, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #599 of 641
I haven't heard DT990 or the Grados, but among the rest the only one I'd really say needs more juice is the T50RP. I didn't have my MK2 long before sending off to Modhouse, but that probably doesn't drastically alter power handling.
The best $100 amp for the DT990 is the Monoprice Liquid Spark. It tames the highs and gives violins, french horns, and trombone some serious texture on the Beyerdynamic DT family of headphones.

May 2, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #600 of 641
I have a creative x7 and it can drive t50rp very well....would you say that Atom is an upgrade to x7 ?

Does it make sense to buy Atom , when I already have x7 ?

Is there an amp in this price range that has more juice than Atom and x7 ? (Atom and x7 have the same power)
That Fostex T50RP is a fantastic headphone! It sounds better than it's big brother the T60RP.
Too many people making baby steps with audio upgrades. The JDS Labs Atom is a great amp if you really must stay at $100 budget. The Schiit Magni amps have the most power for the Fostex T50RP at the $100 level. However, if it were me, I would save up $200 to $300 for an amp that will make a much greater upgrade impact. For the Fostex T50RP you could get a SMSL SP200. It drives them notably well with serious impact. However, that pairing does suffer with a slightly narrow sound-stage. But, then again it is an amp that can be found used under $200. If you plan on running other headphones, the SMSL SP200 is not a good choice. For driving a variety of headphones, save up for a better all around headphone that will play with many headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back