JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Oct 31, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #751 of 1,187
I have always found John to be extremely responsive so perhaps he missed your email or things are crazy for him at present. You won't regret anything you buy from him.

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #752 of 1,187
The whole 51 pages have been an interesting reading where I could find many many useful information and opinion BUT really nothing about JM editions related to Classical Music.
I am currently on the market for a dynamic headphone to use as a Reference for Classical Music, mostly Symphonic and I crossed these interesting product. I wonder what could be the right choice when it comes to this kind of music.
I would probably opt for an open XTC2 but then what are option could be more up to the task? Anyone is currently using JME with classical music?
@John Massaria what would you suggest for Classical Symphonic Music from your experienced point of view?
Thanks for any contribution, guys :)
Alessandro

ps. current amplifier is my beloved Violectric HPA V280 and source will be a SACD player (currently a Pioneer, then who knows...)

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #753 of 1,187
The whole 51 pages have been an interesting reading where I could find many many useful information and opinion BUT really nothing about JM editions related to Classical Music.
I am currently on the market for a dynamic headphone to use as a Reference for Classical Music, mostly Symphonic and I crossed these interesting product. I wonder what could be the right choice when it comes to this kind of music.
I would probably opt for an open XTC2 but then what are option could be more up to the task? Anyone is currently using JME with classical music?
@John Massaria what would you suggest for Classical Symphonic Music from your experienced point of view?
Alessandro

ps. current amplifier is my beloved Violectric HPA V280 and source will be a SACD player (currently a Pioneer, then who knows...)
I don't listen to classical, but if your hoping to hear each individual instrument and hoping to hear where the instrument is played on stage or in a studio, I suggest looking into the "scalpel" or "near scalpel" tuning. It's awesome! I listen to reggae music that has 9 piece band members that play all different instruments and it sounds like your in the jungle surrounded by sound.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #754 of 1,187
Alessandro

I mainly listen to metal and rock but do love a bit of baroque now and then. I have 4 seasons on dsd file so will listen tonight and report back. I have xtc2.5 extreme trip in warm but elevated detail and they are wonderful. Clarity and instrument separation is excellent and treble is certainly there (the clarity) but very well done. I just got in contact with John about his new reference tuning and I’m very intrigued by it.

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #755 of 1,187
I mainly listen to metal and rock but do love a bit of baroque now and then. I have 4 seasons on dsd file so will listen tonight and report back. I have xtc2.5 extreme trip in warm but elevated detail and they are wonderful. Clarity and instrument separation is excellent and treble is certainly there (the clarity) but very well done. I just got in contact with John about his new reference tuning and I’m very intrigued by it.
I highly recommend pairing the reference tuning with a warmer source that is easier on the ears. Still retains incredible detail imo.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #756 of 1,187
Alessandro

Listening test begins on my Geshelli J2 4493 Dac, my new McChanson OTC tube amp, streaming the first few on an Eversolo DMP-A6 then playing the DSD file from USB stick into Eversolo.

Ok I have just listened to Paganini's Caprice No. 24 on guitar by Marcin (flac 44.1 24 bit) and the detail and clarity is honestly faultless. Instrument separation is extremely well defined (it's not an intimate listen). Bass rumbles, treble is out there but very well controlled, Every minute movement on the string is heard to the nth degree, soundstage is amazing for closed backs.
Next - Bach's Toccata by Marcin again on guitar in PCM 48htz....sublime!!
Next, Albinoni's Adagio in G minor (one of my alltime favourite pieces) in 44.1 flac 16 bit. Been said a million times before but I feel like I'm in the audience.
Next Handel's Water music Overture Largo-Allegro in pcm 96hz. Once again everything separated beautifully, crystal clear and placed perfectly (well for my ears anyway). Soundstage on this piece is great (depth and width). A very enjoyable listen!!!

Then Vivaldi's Four Seasons Locotelli Harmonic Labyrinth - Chloe Chua with the Singapore Symphonic Orchestra in PCM 352.8 khz. I don't say this lightly but I couldn't imagine a better sound, and from a closed back. I have tried almost all TOTL hps (and there are some absolute killers out there), but this is honestly up there with them. I chose these over the Focal Stellias (when the price dropped significantly for a very brief time in Australia recently) and I am so glad I did...... clarity, separation, natural timbre, tuning is perfect for me!!!!!

I had to finish with non-classical in the form of Steve Stevens (played guitar on MJ's Dirty Diana and played with Billy Idol a bit back in the day). I listened to the track Flamenco A Go Go from the same named album. These headphones are nothing short of brilliant!!!!!! The punch, slam, attack is so well done!!! SET tube amps often have some bass rolloff but on these cans, it is unnoticable. In fact bass is the standout here....... If you haven't heard this play it!! This and Polyphia's Playing God. For me, these compete easily (oranges and apples I know but talking about overall quality) with my absolutely beloved Hifiman HE1000 Stea;ths!! I asked John for detail monsters and that's exactly what I got!

Hope this helps anyway.........

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #757 of 1,187
Listening test begins on my Geshelli J2 4493 Dac, my new McChanson OTC tube amp, streaming the first few on an Eversolo DMP-A6 then playing the DSD file from USB stick into Eversolo.

Ok I have just listened to Paganini's Caprice No. 24 on guitar by Marcin (flac 44.1 24 bit) and the detail and clarity is honestly faultless. Instrument separation is extremely well defined (it's not an intimate listen). Bass rumbles, treble is out there but very well controlled, Every minute movement on the string is heard to the nth degree, soundstage is amazing for closed backs.
Next - Bach's Toccata by Marcin again on guitar in PCM 48htz....sublime!!
Next, Albinoni's Adagio in G minor (one of my alltime favourite pieces) in 44.1 flac 16 bit. Been said a million times before but I feel like I'm in the audience.
Next Handel's Water music Overture Largo-Allegro in pcm 96hz. Once again everything separated beautifully, crystal clear and placed perfectly (well for my ears anyway). Soundstage on this piece is great (depth and width). A very enjoyable listen!!!

Then Vivaldi's Four Seasons Locotelli Harmonic Labyrinth - Chloe Chua with the Singapore Symphonic Orchestra in PCM 352.8 khz. I don't say this lightly but I couldn't imagine a better sound, and from a closed back. I have tried almost all TOTL hps (and there are some absolute killers out there), but this is honestly up there with them. I chose these over the Focal Stellias (when the price dropped significantly for a very brief time in Australia recently) and I am so glad I did...... clarity, separation, natural timbre, tuning is perfect for me!!!!!

I had to finish with non-classical in the form of Steve Stevens (played guitar on MJ's Dirty Diana and played with Billy Idol a bit back in the day). I listened to the track Flamenco A Go Go from the same named album. These headphones are nothing short of brilliant!!!!!! The punch, slam, attack is so well done!!! SET tube amps often have some bass rolloff but on these cans, it is unnoticable. In fact bass is the standout here....... If you haven't heard this play it!! This and Polyphia's Playing God. For me, these compete easily (oranges and apples I know but talking about overall quality) with my absolutely beloved Hifiman HE1000 Stea;ths!! I asked John for detail monsters and that's exactly what I got!

Hope this helps anyway.........
I went back and listened to the entire four seasons and I could not be happier with these headphones (and my gear)!!!!!!

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #758 of 1,187
@saMWyz @andrewchoppa thank you for your contribution

For classical music separation is indeed important to identify/follow the different sections of the orchestra as like as timbre is really important. Detail does not have to be extreme IMHO but it is as well important and need to be clearly positioned in a as vast as possible soundstage.
That is why I would opt for the XTC2 open, it's no mistery that an open headphone could perform a bit better in terms of imaging than a closed one.
Scalpel or near scalpel scares me a bit, I also listen to a lot of "vintage" classical music when recording facilities were not at today's level so it's probably not wise to overdo about details.

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #759 of 1,187

For classical music separation is indeed important to identify/follow the different sections of the orchestra as like as timbre is really important. Detail does not have to be extreme IMHO but it is as well important and need to be clearly positioned in a as vast as possible soundstage.
That is why I would opt for the XTC2 open, it's no mistery that an open headphone could perform a bit better in terms of imaging than a closed one.
Scalpel or near scalpel scares me a bit, I also listen to a lot of "vintage" classical music when recording facilities were not at today's level so it's probably not wise to overdo about details.
Yes they will suit you brilliantly. I personally would opt for warm yet detailed for your needs.

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #760 of 1,187

I wouldn't let the scapel or nearly scapel tuning moniker scare you. I have a pair of original XTC-Closed with nearly scapel tuning and listen to a lot of crappy-sounding jazz and rock recordings and love every minute of it. They still have that warm, full, midrange body, sweet highs, bass-prominent signature. Way more than my Kennerton Rognir Planar or RAAL SR-1b ribbon phones, which would probably indeed scare you with their faster, more detailed, spacious, more lightweight sound signature, especially with my Benchmark HPA4 solid-state amp that exacerbates these tendencies. I often reach for my XTC-Cs when I need their bass foundation on certain recordings that don't sound right without it.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #761 of 1,187
I remember John telling me when I first bought these XTC Opens that they scale extremely well the higher up you go. Well, I upgraded to a vintage Audio-gd Reference 5 PCM1704UK DAC (this thing is 13 years old but don't let the age fool you), and it is literally like finding the next level of reference sound. The best way I can describe it is HD800 levels of detail and soundstage without any of the fatigue, allowing the reference tuning to shine. :gs1000smile: <- Me right now

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #762 of 1,187
I have 3 different XTC models. XTC Closed OG beryllium driver (near scalpel tuning), XTC Open beryllium driver (warm with elevated detail tuning), and XTC2 open beryllium driver (warm and detailed tuning). I think my favorite all around headphone sound is the XTC Open w/ warm and detailed tuning. It is very detailed, but if you would like to hear everything crystal clear, get the XTC Open with near scalpel tuning. The XTC Open is still the cheapest model he sells at the moment and probably the best in my personal opinion. If you want super wide soundstage, get the XTC2. But the most fun headphone that I own is the XTC Open. I have a few headphones that cost over $3,000 that are not as fun sounding as the XTCs.
Do you still stand behind your thoughts in the OG XTC open vs the XTC2? Wondering what the trade off is for a slightly bigger soundstage other than the extra money.
The best value seems to be the Exotic Wood XTC as it comes with 2 cables and the premium earpads. Once you build the XTC2 to similar spec its quite the jump in price.
I’m looking at the Beryllium 64 ohm with new reference tuning. Thinking the perforated leather pads.
Really hoping for a great all rounder with large accurate soundstage.
Cheers

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #763 of 1,187
I have the OG XTC-Closed and was listening to Thin Lizzy's Renegade this morning, one of the highest-energy rock-out songs I know of with a big drumkit. The XTC-C brings a bass impact absolutely crucial to this song which doesn't have the same bass underpinning on my otherwise more detailed Kennerton Rognir Planar and RAAL SR-1b phones. This song provides a reminder of why I got the XTC phones in the first place.

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #764 of 1,187
I'm still waiting to order a set of XTC 2.5. My 2023 Burson 3X GT finally came loaded with the SP2 power modules. I plugged in my ZMF Atriums and the left channel was out I spun the volume wheel to turn down to unplug it the amp began distorting uncontrollably, before I could unplug, the ZMF was done! I'm the second person with an issue with the 2023 model. So beware, I returned it believe me when I receive the replacement I'll plug in some inexpensive phones and let it run for a few days. Anyone considering the Soloist beware on startup. I asked if the new Voyager would be more stable, I received no reply...
Non related but cheered me up a little, a US manufacturer comped me a new pro Alto sax to try:relaxed:

Nov 12, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #765 of 1,187
I'm still waiting to order a set of XTC 2.5. My 2023 Burson 3X GT finally came loaded with the SP2 power modules. I plugged in my ZMF Atriums and the left channel was out I spun the volume wheel to turn down to unplug it the amp began distorting uncontrollably, before I could unplug, the ZMF was done! I'm the second person with an issue with the 2023 model. So beware, I returned it believe me when I receive the replacement I'll plug in some inexpensive phones and let it run for a few days. Anyone considering the Soloist beware on startup. I asked if the new Voyager would be more stable, I received no reply...
Non related but cheered me up a little, a US manufacturer comped me a new pro Alto sax to try:relaxed:
Man, if this happened to me I would definitely be asking the amp manufacturer for compensation for an out-of-the-box failure destroying my headphones. If they refused I would be returning the amp for full credit and get something that is more reliable. I am sure you are disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back