JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Nov 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #797 of 1,187
I was introduced to the XTC open, by my friend @vikinguy. It's the first edition. Soon after that, I sold my U12t's in order to get the v.2 closed. The XTC open is tuned "warm, but detailed." The XTC v2 closed is tuned with "warm refined tight bass w/ detailed tuning."

IMG_1612.jpeg

This is not going to be a full-out review, but I'm not just "fan-boy-ing" either. I'm 54. I've been at this a bit. In general, though I do some production for personal use, I'm a guy who greatly appreciates technicalities, but not at the expense of enjoyment. I want a smile on my face because I'm moved by what I'm hearing, but I also (not equally) love the "wow" moments when imaging and tonality reveal parts I've either not heard before, or haven't "felt" before. In my ongoing hunt for the best (for me) that I could afford at various stages of the hobby, I've owned the Stellia, Liric, 109 Pro, LCD-X, various ZMFs, Ethers, and a number of IEMs. There have been many others thrown in the mix, but really nothing more expensive than the Stellia...so no Utopia or Susvara.

That said, nothing I have EVER owned or tried has been as pleasing to my audio sensibilities as what John has pulled off with these XTCs. If I heard something in the $3000+ range that somehow beat out the tuning of these headphones, I still wouldn't choose them because of the value-performance ratio. Still, and I'm only basing this on personal experience, I believe these headphones outperform everything I've ever owned, regardless of cost. For my "all-in" for two complementary headphones, I'm still well under what I'd be at for more pop brands' best / near-best single offering. Let me add this, too. The XTC open is just as comfortable (with fuzzy pads) as the 109 Pro. While the v2 closed isn't quite as comfortable, it is more comfortable than any Focal offering (4 of them) I've owned, and certainly more so than the half-dozen LCD's (open and closed) I've owned along the way.

Now, ON TOP OF ALL THAT, the interaction with John has been just a true joy. There's something about the process of tuning that reignites a passion for music, not just equipment. So, do yourself a favor if you're in the market for a closed or open-back headphone, and start with JM Audio's offerings. You will not regret it. The worst you can do is annoy your wife with your enthusiasm, trying to convince her just how serious you are "this time" of just how good something is.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #798 of 1,187
I was introduced to the XTC open, by my friend @vikinguy. It's the first edition. Soon thereafter, I sold my U12t's in order to get the v.2 closed. The XTC open is tuned "warm, but detailed." The XTC v2 closed is tuned "warm refined tight bass w/ detailed tuning."

IMG_1612.jpeg

This is not going to be a full-out review, but I'm not just "fan-boy-ing" either. I'm 54. I've been at this a bit. In general, though I do some production for personal use, I'm a guy who greatly appreciates technicalities, but not at the expense of enjoyment. I want a smile on my face because I'm moved by the what I'm hearing, but I also (not equally) love the "wow" moments when imaging and tonality reveal parts I've either not heard before, or haven't "felt" before. In my incessant hunt for the best (for me) that I could afford at various stages of the hobby, I've owned the Stellia, Liric, 109 Pro, LCD-X, various ZMFs, Ethers, and a number of IEMs. There have been many others thrown in the mix, but really nothing more expensive than the Stellia...so no Utopia or Susvara.

That said, nothing I have EVER owned or tried has been as pleasing to my audio sensibilities as what John has pulled of with these XTCs. If I were to hear something in the $3000+ range that somehow beat out the tuning of these headphones, I still wouldn't choose them because of the value-performance ratio. Still, and I'm only basing this on personal experience, I believe these headphones outperform everything I've ever owned, regardless of cost. For my "all-in" for two complementary headphones, I'm still well under what I'd be at for more pop brands' best / near-best single offering. Let me add this, too. The XTC open is just as comfortable (with fuzzy pads) as the 109 Pro. While the v2 closed isn't quite as comfortable, it is more comfortable than any Focal offering (4 of them) I've owned, and certainly more so than the half-dozen LCD's (open and closed) I've owned along the way.

Now, ON TOP OF ALL THAT, the interaction with John has been just a true joy. There's something about the process of tuning that reignites a passion for music, not just equipment. So, do yourself a favor if you're in the market for a closed or open-back headphone, and start with JM Audio's offerings. You will not regret it. The worst you can do is annoy your wife with your enthusiasm, trying to convince her just how serious you are "this time" of just how good something is.

Man, that white cup to black grill is freaking clean!

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #799 of 1,187
I was introduced to the XTC open, by my friend @vikinguy. It's the first edition. Soon thereafter, I sold my U12t's in order to get the v.2 closed. The XTC open is tuned "warm, but detailed." The XTC v2 closed is tuned "warm refined tight bass w/ detailed tuning."

IMG_1612.jpeg

This is not going to be a full-out review, but I'm not just "fan-boy-ing" either. I'm 54. I've been at this a bit. In general, though I do some production for personal use, I'm a guy who greatly appreciates technicalities, but not at the expense of enjoyment. I want a smile on my face because I'm moved by the what I'm hearing, but I also (not equally) love the "wow" moments when imaging and tonality reveal parts I've either not heard before, or haven't "felt" before. In my incessant hunt for the best (for me) that I could afford at various stages of the hobby, I've owned the Stellia, Liric, 109 Pro, LCD-X, various ZMFs, Ethers, and a number of IEMs. There have been many others thrown in the mix, but really nothing more expensive than the Stellia...so no Utopia or Susvara.

That said, nothing I have EVER owned or tried has been as pleasing to my audio sensibilities as what John has pulled of with these XTCs. If I were to hear something in the $3000+ range that somehow beat out the tuning of these headphones, I still wouldn't choose them because of the value-performance ratio. Still, and I'm only basing this on personal experience, I believe these headphones outperform everything I've ever owned, regardless of cost. For my "all-in" for two complementary headphones, I'm still well under what I'd be at for more pop brands' best / near-best single offering. Let me add this, too. The XTC open is just as comfortable (with fuzzy pads) as the 109 Pro. While the v2 closed isn't quite as comfortable, it is more comfortable than any Focal offering (4 of them) I've owned, and certainly more so than the half-dozen LCD's (open and closed) I've owned along the way.

Enjoy man. These scale up so well too. I added a Schiit Freya N preamp and the enjoyment level went up even more. The right source is key :beerchug:

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #800 of 1,187
Just unboxed my new XTC-c 2.5 Trip’s in Brazilian black wood.

Tuning described by John M as “Slightly warm, Refined bass with detailed tuning.”

Really impressed so far, further review and images to follow as soon as I can work out how to upload em 😂
these are on my wishlist for next year.
my XTC open is easily the most enjoyable headphone i have had to date.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #801 of 1,187
Now I have found the ability to add files and images I’ll sort a few out and give some initial feedback on the XTC-c 2.5 Trip’s.

Build quality.
If I am honest, you can tell these are hand finished and not a “Production” set of phones from one of the big players, that is not to say the finish is poor in any way! The fit and the finish is superb but on close inspection you can see the work that has gone into making these a bespoke set of headphones. For me that’s a bonus not a negative. For those of you that want a B&O type build then these may not be for you.

One of the attractive elements of these headphones is the opportunity to get a set built the way you want!!…. And that’s exactly what you get!…

I must say the process of ordering and then being walked through the build is superb and once again goes towards making this feel like a true custom experience and gives you the confidence that you are going to get something to be treasured at the end of it.

John and I must of exchanged in excess of 50 messages, which considering the time difference (UK - New York) meant John was definitely pulling some long days and going above and beyond to ensure the spec was nailed down and expectations were met.

So, build experience… spot on!!
Customisation and accessories…
What can I say, the level of detail given to each aspect is beyond reproach and once again John walks you through the stages, giving a good selection of options.

Personally I was happy to go with the recommended pads but because I wanted to use the headphone in three differing scenarios (Lounge, on main system, desk top and then mobile) I wanted three very different cables. I am not so much interested in what the cable was going to add or detract sonically, that’s not my thing and not a rabbit hole I want to discuss!) but rather differing lengths and termination types.

John was absolutely able to accommodate and if I am honest gave me what was a frankly ridiculous deal on the cables.

Having completed the build and spec and then the accessories… the item was dispatched…

Full tracking information provided and I must say the servcie from ups was trouble free. The headphones were in my hands in a matter of days and to the hour they predicated.

There was an import fee to pay but was gentler than might of been and easy to pay online so I didn’t have any issues with the items being taken back if having to pay on the door.

Upon arrival, there was a minor problem of how to unpack the parcel!!!! John does know how to pack!!!!… feck me 😂… you may want to consider the purchase of a sharp and robust pocket knife to gain entry into the packing!!

If there is any packing tape left in New York I would be surprised!!!

So as you can imaging the unboxing was an impatient affair but resulting in the contents being delivered in perfect condition!!!

The “Pelicase” type container is perfect for the job and is reassuringly robust giving your pride and joy the protection they deserve whilst not being so heavy as not to be of use.

So overall the purchasing experience and the delivery has been second to none and has exceeded expectations.

So what do they sound like!!!

Well if I am honest I am not so comfortable talking about that… yeah I know a cope out, but when I read headphone reviews I hear a language used that I am simply not capable of reproducing… I cannot describe with that sort of elegance what it is I hear. I cannot conjure that level of sonic imagery…

I will give this area some more consideration and post more…

Impressions to date…
They sound as good as hoped and better than I expected…
I have grade GS1000’s, Meze 99 classics, sennheiser ie900’s and b&O H95 as my comparisons. (Plus many many others over the years but these are my current users :) )

Sources
Lounge
Roon
AVM CS 8.3 Ovation

Desktop
Roon
Burson playmate 2 vivid v6 op amps

Mobile
Astell&kern SR 35

Across all these setups I am experiencing sounds I have not heard before, so the detail and resolution is there!!… which is the tuning I wished for. Bass is crisp… impactful and non intrusive… heavier than I would have imagined but because of its definition its is not imposing or detrimental in any way.

Overall this is the most enjoyable and musical set of headphones I have owned or auditioned to date.

But don’t take my word for it…
Go buy some, then tell me how you found it :)

Well that’s enough from me…
I’ll perhaps give a further update and pictures when I’ve a few more hours listening under my belt and can find some more eloquent way to describe what it is I experience.

Overall, fantastic experience, John builds the confidence of the purchase at every stage of the process. Sonically they have exceeded my expectations and offer incredible enjoyment for what cannot be a sustainable price point!!
You can hear the pride John takes in these, and it’s warranted!

Greig.

Attachments

• IMG_6630.jpeg
    IMG_6630.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4050.jpeg
    IMG_4050.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3999.jpeg
    IMG_3999.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #802 of 1,187
More impressions to come but so far, the only thing I can say is that it's black magic.

1000016861.jpg

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #803 of 1,187
More impressions to come but so far, the only thing I can say is that it's black magic.

1000016861.jpg
Haha congrats! I totally agree!! I just love mine more and more. They just pair with everything too.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #804 of 1,187
Honestly these headphones blew me away when I first heard them. I got the XTC ².5 Euphoric Xtreme Trip. For reference I have owned, hd 650, hd 800s, Ether closed, ghjallohorn gh50, dt 1990, Stax L300, Zmf aeolous, Aryas and the list goes on, and I have to say these are amazing.

John just messaged me after placed an order, to get a sense of what I liked in a headphone, along with my current set up. I gave him my little nitpicks for the headphones I have owned and tried and he went to town tuning a pair of heaphones that suited me. For reference I really liked the Ether-C and Gh50s at the time.

To describe the sound, it has some of the biggest soundstage I have ever heard on a closed back pair of headphones. The amount of detail feels the same as the Ether-C it may be a little better. The bass is crisp punchy, has the right amount of impact, and does not bleed into the low mids at all. Sub bass is amazing it is just deep.
The vocals I feel sit perfectly ontop of that, and the highs are not fatiguing at all. It has a greatre leave of separation of instruments and it feels like everything is just layered perfectly. It is hard to describe. Every time I put them I on I am just jamming along to whatever I am listening to. Pads for the song just envelope you it is just out of this world. Pianos sound amazing and so far none of the highs haven't felt harsh to me, but the detail is still there for me

It is awesome that John is also willing to do tuning changes and fix any issues you may have with tuning once you recieve them, not that I had any though to be honest.

To add on to that John provides three different pad to use with the xtc 2.5 and serval cables of varying length, along with a pelican case. I have yet to try the other pads yet as I am enjoying the pair John recommended for now. But will eventually get around to them

But honestly for the price these are a steal. If anyone is hesitating on these they should just pull the trigger. These are stuck on my head for a while.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #805 of 1,187
I have been looking for some great closed back headphones lately. There are so many out there but if you consider my preference (dynamic, wooden cups) there are not that many great options. My reference right now is D7200 properly tuned with EQ and paired with PMA800NE. These make huge differences. Their drivers are really amazing when tuned well and given proper power, I am addicted to them.

I have been researching a lot and my shortened list included pieces like: ZMF Atrium Closed, Bokeh, D9200, Rognir Dynamic, TH900 Lawton but also something like ES Labs R10. I only heard D9200 but prefer my tuned D7200 over them. I was worried that these above might also be too small step up from the headphones I own.

In September I discovered JM Audio and their XTC. Right after reading the first few reviews I started to be very interested. Also the 2.5 cups look so close to the famous R10, I like this a lot! Just after my initial research about XTC I decided that this is my next "step up" purchase.
There are other things than just all these positive reviews that interested me too. The fact you are dealing with one guy who can tune your headphones to your preferences and that you can repeat this process is really extraordinary. Other great things such quality cable options, pads, different ohm variations and mainly John's engineering enthusiasm are the ultimate plus here. Going further the sound quality compared to price ratio seems to be insane here too.

Just posting these info here as I know there are others who are also looking into their next purchase and the XTC might be on their list right now. Perhaps my findings help them to make a decision.

So, how does the XTC Closed sound? Well, I do not know.... I wrote this article before I actually ordered them. But the good thing is that my pair is already on the way so can't wait to explore their sound. I would be happy to share some comparisons as well. By the way, I just got a Sharp HP400-H from 1974 in perfect condition. You guys might try some vintage headphones they might surprise you, vintage thread here.

Happy Listening :)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #807 of 1,187
Just received XTC Closed 2.5 yesterday, spent the whole day listening, pure enjoyment a tons of emotions.
Hard time to use any EQ that is how good they sound to my ears. I look forward to post more about them.

Extacy4.jpg

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #808 of 1,187
Just received XTC Closed 2.5 yesterday, spent the whole day listening, pure enjoyment a tons of emotions.
Hard time to use any EQ that is how good they sound to my ears. I look forward to post more about them.

Extacy4.jpg
Mine is coming on Saturday. I'm so exited.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #809 of 1,187

Extacy4.jpg
CONGRATS!!!! To the lucky ones who know about these and can believe what's possible from JM headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back