JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #826 of 1,183
Has the frequency response of the XTC2 Beryllium 300 ohm been independently measured by anyone?
each set are custom tuned so measurements will be based on that

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #827 of 1,183
each set are custom tuned so measurements will be based on that
Yes, I could be wrong but I dont think there is such thing as a “stock” XTC. They are all custom.

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #829 of 1,183
Such gorgeous wood!

Attachments

• IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4589.jpg
    IMG_4589.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4588.jpg
    IMG_4588.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4592.jpg
    IMG_4592.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4588.jpg
    IMG_4588.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4585.jpg
    IMG_4585.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #831 of 1,183
Yeah that is a heck of a deal

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #832 of 1,183
I weighed my XTC-Closed 1.0 original phones with beryllium drivers and they weighed 11.4 oz (324 grams). They are definitely the lightest phones I own. In fact, the Arctic copper cable I have weighs more than the phones and I have to be careful that I don't allow the cable to pull the phones off my desk onto my floor.

Hopefully others can weigh in here, pun intended, with the 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5 XTC-C versions.
The beryl open back is very lightweight. The biowool open back is heavier than the beryl.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #833 of 1,183
John is finishing up my pair and I'm really excited! Can't wait!

Attachments

• IMG_4633.jpg
    IMG_4633.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4631.jpg
    IMG_4631.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #834 of 1,183
Very nice!

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #837 of 1,183
Enjoy ing my XTC 2.5 love them finally my wife don't complains about she can still hear them
:-D same here... closed backs only !! :)

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #838 of 1,183
Have had 3 rounds of the Biowool warm and detailed back to JM so far.

1st version: Very good overall would choose it over many headphones and has always been the best for extreme all day long listening. It put the soundstage out farther with massive bass more than a Z1R in quantity overall. Never thought the bass was too much, but certainly at the very limit. Unique timbre/texture and an ability to make huge dynamic shifts instantly in tones ect.

2nd version: Sent it back for a retune. After a while of experiencing different tunings/2^5 magic/setups made one wonder if it could be improved. It came back noticeably more lush in the mids, an improvement for me overall for sure. Stayed non-fatiguing as heck just simply better overall. Bass remained massive but at some point noticed when using the leather pads bass could be a bit boomy. Fuzzy pads easily disspelled this. Love how the mids sound with leather pads, sometimes it sound like listening through a tube with those a little bit but can also be very good.

3rd version: Dropped the headphone from about counter height onto carpet. The wood cracked on the left cup and the headphone still worked. At a certain point the right connection quit working. The headphone had travelled quite a lot and been abused no doubt. Off to the headphone doctor it went. JM for a very nice price completely replaced both entire cups with choice of wood (got amazing new version of red wood) and re-measured the drivers, turns out one was somewhat mismatched or damaged and he found a donor driver right away and got a spectacular match, tweaked the bass and tuning accordingly. JM was saying the match and quality was EXCELLENT and improved in transparency from before so I was excited knowing without a doubt these would be amazing.

First impressions: Off the bat physically speaking it's like having a brand new headphone. I was disappointed initially sound-wise though with the leather pads it was still too boomy on some songs to use the leather pads (I'm sensitive to boominess, others would not necessarily mind). I'm very used to my 2^5 (it's also unacceptably boomy to me with too many ports open) and must note I'm also experimenting with a new DAC so I was a bit thrown off at first but I could see some nice pieces of cleanness and transparency in there. It sounded like listening through a tunnel a bit which I've seen with these pads before (the imaging is so precise it will show you what pads are doing). I swapped out to fuzzy cutout and the headphones absolutely popped and melded to perfection like I've never heard them before (they were also not boomy at all with fuzzy in #2 version). THIS biowool is SO GOOD now. It's the first time something has me swapping out the 2^5 easily since I got the 2^5. Imaging is clean, precise and transparent zero boominess with bass at the perfect level of controlled but massive. SO transparent, just liquid sound while revealing even the finest textures with the R2R DAC + jot 2 and digital (weiss DAC204) with tube amp. More 3D and realistic than before and these headphones are certainly well into the next level, couldn't be happier. I am jealous I have to share these with my dad already.

IMG_5293.JPEG

IMG_5295.JPEG

IMG_5300.JPEG

IMG_5299.JPEG

**Edit** I must add these things are PERFECT. The swap to fuzzy cutout is a MIRACLE level pad swap in this case.
**Edit #2** After a few hours later of listening. I must say my system has a part to play in my awe lately as it’s tuned better than before as well. But these things are no doubt phenomenal, what am I listening to, these are blowing me away. Equal in magic to the 2^5 in a completely different way and are as unbelievably special to me already. I could pretty much tell this fairly quickly after I swapped pads. Biowool will forever be considered a truly special thing to me. I truly appreciated it before but this is different now. These are worth without a doubt much more than their cost to me and are simply irreplaceable.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #839 of 1,183
While we all realize this is one man's opinion, it's pretty cool for JM Audio brand.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #840 of 1,183
Just recieved my open back xtc and I’m very happy with them. I am not an audiophile and il new to the headphone game I’ve always used buds and iems.
Someone in one of the forums recommended audio to tune the headphones to my liking which is bass heavy and after talking to them back and forth I pulled the trigger and am happy with what he put together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back