JVC HA-FX850: Has my hearing deteriorated or improved?
Oct 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Aero Dynamik

1000+ Head-Fier
First some background. Suffering from a hearing impairment on my left ear and tinnitus I don’t always feel completely confident about my own hearing. To hear as well with my left ear as I do with my right ear, the left ear needs about 28% more sound pressure level, and my left ear tinnitus sometimes interfere with frequencies in the mid-range, sounding like a car horn (kazoo) when listening to a sine wave, especially at low volumes. So, what am I doing on Head-Fi among audiophiles that can hear a difference between ALAC and FLAC? 
rolleyes.gif
 Well, I certainly can’t hear any difference between ALAC and FLAC, but I’m not deaf, and at least I’m able to pass Philips’ Golden Ears challenge, and I do enjoy and can clearly hear the different signatures of my various headphones.

So, for a few weeks now I’ve been listening to and enjoying my latest acquisition; the JVC HA-FX850, an absolutely fantastic phone for so many reasons; one of them being its resolution which IMO is absolutely top notch. I’d say it is at least on par with or perhaps even better than the resolving capabilities of the legendary Etymotic Research ER-4S! The problem is that I’ve started to notice more and more distortion while using the FX850, and I can’t quite figure out or be absolutely sure if it’s because I’ve improved my hearing abilities (with the "help" of the FX850), or if the distortion I hear comes from “old age” (I’m 52 years old) and worsen tinnitus. I should mention I hear the same distortion with my ER-4S but not quite as much.

This is where I’d really like to ask for your help! What I want you to do is take your FX850 (or most resolving IEM) and listen to the following two tracks (just click the links) and see if you hear what I hear:

Peace on Earth by Mike Oldfield: At 00:01:06 and 00:01:15 the choir sound like it’s blowing into a kazoo for a fraction of a second. Well, that is, to my ears.

Giorgio by Moroder by Daft Punk: At 00:04:21 and 00:04:33 I hear a lot of distortion. I ‘don’t know how to describe it, but if it is not in my ears you’ll definitely hear it. It could actually be an intentional effect, but it doesn’t sound good to my ears anyway.

So, what do you think? Are these "distortions" coming from the recordings and are being revealed/aggravated by the FX850, or are they in my hearing/brain, or perhaps a bit of both?

I'd really appreciate your input and thoughts! Thanks!

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 11
Can't say anything about the first, but I do know the 2nd song and the part you mentioned (short keyboard part, correct?) does indeed have some distortion. That and the mastering was a little weird there, so no, your ears are not the problem

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 11
Can't say anything about the first, but I do know the 2nd song and the part you mentioned (short keyboard part, correct?) does indeed have some distortion. That and the mastering was a little weird there, so no, your ears are not the problem

Thank you very much for your input!

Did you listen to the first track (Peace on Earth)? If at all possible, I'd really appreciate if you could take a listen to it!

Well, good to know! Yes, the short keyboard part! Funny they kept that, but maybe they liked "the rawness" of it... (I didn't!)

Again, thanks!

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 11
First example - dom't quite follow you there
Second example - sure enough, it is distorted

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 11
  Yup. I hear distortion at all 4 spots you mentioned. Wow, you have attention to detail. The first song is very quick and hard to pick up, but its there.

Phew, that is certainly a relieve to hear (provided you don't suffer from the same hearing problem I do
wink.gif
 but you seem confident enough)! Thank you all very much for helping me out with this!

You may be interested to read and possibly (hopefully) reply to this post that I just wrote in the "The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)" thread.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 11
  I can confirm the weird vocal on 1:06 and 1:15 in the first recording, and the distortion on 4:21 and 4:33 in the second recording.

Edit: I was using a JVC FX-850.

Great, and thank you very much! Having some hearing problems these things make me paranoid. Now we are at least three people who hear it so that is very comforting, i.e. these distortions are (most likely) not due to my (our) hearing but to the recordings.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 11
I confirm all those distortions as well using JVC HA-FX750s.  You do indeed have a keen ear there.  The first song was very difficult but I finally got it.  I too have semi-hearing loss and suffer severe tinnitus in my right ear (ever so slight in the left) and I am extremely sensitive to high pitch sounds (usually emanating from electrical components) and have trouble hearing certain voices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back