K1000/Air Tight... nothing can touch, but ...
Jan 26, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I didn't end up buying the Air Tight ATM 300 amplifier - not because of the price - but rather because I honestly prefer my current setups (F1/Sig 30.2). I have tremendous respect for the Air Tight engineers, and tremendous respect for your dedication in the search for the perfect sound.

It was a great experience for me, and I thank you for inspiring me to try it.
k1000smile.gif

the F1 with the modestly priced eastern electric min max pre amp is a great match and to me bests the 300b amps I have heard but I so like the speed of the F1 and find better to my tastes to the lusher aspects of most 300b designs.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #47 of 60
tmarshl,
Yes, as you said it's a matter of tastes, as in other (all) things ...
(I hope you had enought time to compare the different amplifiers)

BUT can I ask you which tubes did you adopted on the Air Tight? Did you adopted the feedback?

I have spent near one year to tune my K1000/Air Tight setup considering tubes, power cords and IC at any price... So when I speak fo Air Tight in reality I'm speaking of a precise setup...

I can also can listen my K1000 by the Nelson Pass INT-150 integrated in a balanced way with Siltech compasse lake .75 SATT interconnect, and wow !!! But I still prefer the Air Tight sound presentation for a more "live-real" and relaxed sound, for long hours of listenig sections.

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tmarshl,
Yes, as you said it's a matter of tastes, as in other (all) things ...
(I hope you had enought time to compare the different amplifiers)

BUT can I ask you which tubes did you adopted on the Air Tight? Did you adopted the feedback? ...

I just used the tubes that came with the Air Tight ATM300 from the dealer, which included a matched pair of Western Electric 300Bs.

It is interesting for me, but my listening mood has a lot to do with the presentation I want. If I have had a hard day of work and traveling, I just want to be passive and have the music wash over me and soothe me - that is the time for the RWA Signature 30.2. Other times, I am well rested and want to be blown away - that is the time for the First Watt F1 (driven by a tube preamplifier). I am sure that many may feel this is a ridiculous extravagance, having an amplifier for two different modes of listening but it works for me.

I loved the Air Tight ATM300, and if I was to choose only one amplifier to drive my K1000s, it most certainly would be the one. Again, thank you for inspiring me to give it an audition.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #49 of 60
Nik, your enthusiasm for the Air Tight makes me so curious. How does it compare to the Cary 300 sei, which is the only amp I've heard with the K1000's? What are the sonic differences, all things being equal?

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #50 of 60
I had the Cary for a long time and I used first with my HD650/Equinox with very good result. Than I have bought the first K1000 and tried on it and I loved a lot that sound.

But when the Air Tight arrived I can't find one only parameter were the Cary is better... The Air Tight is another story, I think because on this kind of design (SE 300B) the 90 % of the sound is for the outputs transformers quality, and the Air Tight has the Tamuras...

I loved the Cary for a good relaxed sound, may be even a bit slow or not the best for detail and resolution or bass, the Air Tight has all these parameters at the highest level.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #51 of 60
Nik, thanks for your opinions regarding the Cary and Air Tight. From reading your earlier posts I understand that you like a rich warm sound for the K1000's, as well as detail and speed. Does the Air Tight keep the warmth and richness found with the Cary? What tubes did you end up liking for the Cary?
the Air Tight sounds awesome, but the added cost for Air Tight plus WE 300b's is quite a lot.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #52 of 60
After two mounts I'm coming back here to tell you that I have (finally) found the best (IMHO) amp for my beloved Grado HP-2.

I have tested a lot of amps, and now I can declare that in my setup and for my personal tastes, the EAR HP-4 with these tubes: Fivre 6sl7gt first stage and GE in the output stage, is the preferred amp.

Incredible setup !!! Hard to tell if my first setup (K1000/Air Tight) is better... I don't believe so...

The EAR HP-4 is working balanced, this is very important !!!

Best!
Nik

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #53 of 60
Intrigued by your comments regarding amplifiers and the K1000.
I am having just the same dilema at the moment - which one should i choose?

The K1000's are quite a bright headphone so i'm quite surprised on the combination of Emm Labs and F1. I understand the Emm Labs has quite a forward sound signature which might be accentuated by the K1000's + the F1 which being SS will be very clear and crisp? Is this what you mean by saying when you want real ear gripping stuff you have the F1 but for a softer presentation the Red Wine Audio?

I understand Jan Meir recommends the Audio Valve RKV tube amplifier as this helps to tame what can be quite agressive treble of the K1000's. Have you had any experience with this amplifier? I think Woo Audio also now make a 300B tube based amplifier perhaps this might be worth a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Nik,

After reading about your delight in the Air Tight ATM 300, I ordered one on approval. I am a devoted listener of the K1000s and have never heard anything better, particularly with my Stefan Audio Arts Equinox hardwire cabling.

The build quality and finish of the Air Tights was perfect. It is an amazing piece of gear. I had it in my system for three days and A/B'd it with my First Watt F1 and also with my Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2.

All of these amplifiers do a great job with the K1000s, so for me it becomes a matter of taste - kind of like comparing excellent wines. The Air Tight ATM300 produced a marvelous sound that was clear, and smooth and warm and alive all at the same time. But when it came down to deciding whether to buy the Air Tight ATM 300, I wasn't convinced.

Each of us has a different set of ears, and for me the First Watt F1 delivers such a "real" presentation through the K1000s that the hair stands up on the back of my neck. It grabs your ears and makes you sit up straight in your chair and lean into the music. It is not for casual relaxed listening, but rather for critical listening of those musical passages that truly excite you. For relaxed listening, the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 is just about perfect with the K1000s.

So, I didn't end up buying the Air Tight ATM 300 amplifier - not because of the price - but rather because I honestly prefer my current setups (F1/Sig 30.2). I have tremendous respect for the Air Tight engineers, and tremendous respect for your dedication in the search for the perfect sound.

It was a great experience for me, and I thank you for inspiring me to try it.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #54 of 60
Has no one tried the K1000 with a sub $1000 speaker amp? I am confused as to why no one uses them with speaker amps under a grand. I used a Jolida 1501 RC and it sounded amazing. The warmth of the tubes meshed really well with the k1000.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #55 of 60
The combo EAR HP-4 (with NOS Fivre 6sl7GT**)/AKg K340 can touch my reference setup K1000/Air Tight... that now goes down to the second place !!!

**The Fivre 6sl7GT are italian tubes built in Milano, they are NOS (probably 1960-70') and the very best 6sl7GT I have found for my EAR HP-4/K340 setup.

With the Grado HP-2 the Sylvania VT-229 are better.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has no one tried the K1000 with a sub $1000 speaker amp? I am confused as to why no one uses them with speaker amps under a grand. I used a Jolida 1501 RC and it sounded amazing. The warmth of the tubes meshed really well with the k1000.

I have ordered a used "Aci Titan XL" //subwoofer//. I also have a Stefan AudioArt hard-wired Akg k1000, which is driven by Headroom Home Balanced preamp and a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2. Can't wait to test with the sub
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 is also a very good amp for the Akg K1000.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My main amp with the akg 1000 is the CARY 805C with WE 300B tubes.However, I Have used a Sony de835 multipurpose amp.I was amazed at how good the AKG 1000 sounded with this amp.....not quite the "nirvana "you get with the CARY's,but for a 100$ it'll get you by until you can move up.

You don't need a megabuck amp to hear how good the AKG 1000's are.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need a megabuck amp to hear how good the AKG 1000's are.

I am certainly going to give this statement some try.
Currently running my K1000 from a Doxa 70 Signature MKII (did cost $2500 when I bought it some 11-12 years ago), and enjoy what I hear. But will look out for a dedicated amplifier, hopefully in a lower price range.

Lets see..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #59 of 60
True, you don't need an expensive amp to feel how good the Akg K1000 is. It's best to use a speaker amp, cause I tried it with a headphone amp (1/4 connection) and it's not powerful enough.
The Akg K1000's are not really headphones, they are ear speakers.

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by complin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intrigued by your comments regarding amplifiers and the K1000.
I am having just the same dilema at the moment - which one should i choose?

The K1000's are quite a bright headphone so i'm quite surprised on the combination of Emm Labs and F1. I understand the Emm Labs has quite a forward sound signature which might be accentuated by the K1000's + the F1 which being SS will be very clear and crisp? Is this what you mean by saying when you want real ear gripping stuff you have the F1 but for a softer presentation the Red Wine Audio?

I've had this exact setup, EMM labs stack direct as well as using my Dartzeel preamp into an First Watt F1 and K1000's, the F1 has gobs of current which fleshes out the bottom end of the K1000's more so that most amps out there. The presentation is quite "neutral" but I found that the F1 limits the headroom a bit. Of the three K1000's I tried, all three ended up breaking up and distorting with loud extended bass when cranked a bit. The K1k's have their limits and the F1 has enough power to actually draw the line where the K1k's driver couldn't muster the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back