K701 thread
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #2,551 of 2,619
I just purchased some Yaxi pads which should be coming in Friday. They were meant for the Q701 and K712, but I got it out of sheer curiosity to hear they compare to the stock pads.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,552 of 2,619
That's interesting, what are they? - looking forwards to the results - I've found big differences in aftermarket/better Dekoni pads for my HiFiman He-500s, maybe similar for the AKGs ...

Strangely, I'm off to audition an Auralic Altair G1 streamer (high-end streamer/dacs is new territory - well outside my comfort zone!) and taking "ye olde k701"s as a reference - strange isn't it to use an old $300 headphone to audition an 'ex-demo' $3k streamer

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #2,553 of 2,619
That's interesting, what are they? - looking forwards to the results - I've found big differences in aftermarket/better Dekoni pads for my HiFiman He-500s, maybe similar for the AKGs ...

Strangely, I'm off to audition an Auralic Altair G1 streamer (high-end streamer/dacs is new territory - well outside my comfort zone!) and taking "ye olde k701"s as a reference - strange isn't it to use an old $300 headphone to audition an 'ex-demo' $3k streamer
They seem to be Alcantara-type pads. They're the only pads Yaxi sells for the K7 series. I'm not sure how similar the Q701 is to the K701, but the pads are supposed to smooth out the highs and give more warmth to the sound. I thought about getting Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin or Velour pads also, but decided to wait on it.

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #2,554 of 2,619
Definitely not strange at all. If it's a great headphone, it's a great headphone. :wink: Let me know about how the audition went, and how the experience was paired with the 701. I haven't tried a streamer yet.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #2,555 of 2,619
Well, I've got to say this Auralic gadget (Auralic Altairis bloody amazing sound - I thought that 'tweaking' the freq response on the RME ADC-2 dac gave good results but this new streamer unit, without any alteration in freq response, is extraordinary and also similar results with the Hifi man planars.

Mind you, this is at a rather different price point as they retail somewhere around the A$4k+ but the improvement in the sound quality is quite a surprise - the discount (thank godness!) for the superseded version makes it affordable, just!

When you add the cost of a tablet to run it and even using existing HDD, hub and cable, the sale of the other gear should help offset the cost - interesting indeed!

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #2,556 of 2,619
Well, I am ready to give my first impressions on the K701 with the Yaxi K712/Q701 Comfort Pads.

TL;DR: The sound changes from a cold, analytical sound, to a smooth, midrange-focused sound. It retains the signature 2kHz shout.

IMG_0606.jpg

Comfort
I already thought the stock pads were pretty comfortable, but the Yaxi pads, in my opinion, are even more comfortable. They're like soft pillows on your head.

Bass
The bass, mainly in the mid-bass, gets a nice boost that never gets muddy or boomy. It's clean and tight, albeit still on the leaner side. I think the bass extends a bit more too, which is nice. Remember, I haven't done the bass mod.

Lower Midrange
Along with the bass, the lower mids also gets a boost but not overdone in any way. This especially helps with male vocals, which could sound thin with stock pads.

Treble
Those mid-treble peaks on stock are pretty much gone. The high end is now on the smoother, slightly dark side, and more enjoyable on a variety of music.
This also means there isn't as much air now, though it is still present.

Soundstage/Imaging
Soundstage is not as wide as stock, but imaging becomes more cohesive as a result. One of the issues people have with AKG headphones, including myself, is that you get
the left and right image, but the center image can feel blurry. Because it's more closed in (in comparison), the center image seems more clear with Yaxi pads.

Upper Midrange
I saved this part for last, because the biggest problem with the K701 stock tuning is...still here, and probably even worse. Because the treble is recessed and not
masking the sound as much, that 2kHz peak sounds a lot more shouty than it already is. On some songs, it's not a huge problem. On others, oh boy...

EQ
This EqualizerAPO profile fixes the upper-mid shout.

Preamp: -0.1 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 2400 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 2.0

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #2,557 of 2,619
I am looking into getting an AKG 701 for gaming,

I had one years ago and liked it.

Is there a preference as to Austria made vs others.

Thanks for any info.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,558 of 2,619
As I'm sure you know the K701 is only Made in China since a number of years ago.
So if you want brand new you cannot get Made in Austria.

Is it worthwhile buying a pre-loved Austria model?
Personally no, the differences I heard could easily be explained by numerous factors.
They should sound the same within the normal unit tolerances.

Excellent gaming headphone IMHO.

PS Build quality (important for gaming) is the same too. In fact the current models might even be slightly better put together!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #2,560 of 2,619
As I'm sure you know the K701 is only Made in China since a number of years ago.
So if you want brand new you cannot get Made in Austria.

Is it worthwhile buying a pre-loved Austria model?
Personally no, the differences I heard could easily be explained by numerous factors.
They should sound the same within the normal unit tolerances.

Excellent gaming headphone IMHO.

PS Build quality (important for gaming) is the same too. In fact the current models might even be slightly better put together!

Thanks for the info :)

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #2,561 of 2,619
Just pulled out my K701 a couple days ago and have really been enjoying it with the QS amp. I think they “like” warmth and texture to go with the transparency they already have.

I will throw out a couple comments to the questions that have been recently been asked here. These are Austrian with the “7 bump” headband, don’t know the year they were new. They have the steeply angled earpads, providing a fair amount of narrow front - wide rear spacing when on the head while still sealing well. I’m not a gamer, but might guess this would be beneficial stage-wise for that hobby. For music, it’s nice separation without seeming unnatural to me. AKG, of course, did this before many other companies, for example Senn with their chassis and Audeze with their angled pads. The other that comes to mind when these were new is Stax Lambdas with the angled driver so many years.

I don’t know if they still come with angled pads or if such pads are available. I did have a K712 a few years ago and it had even depth pads all around.

Anyway, enjoy the K701s folks!!

Attachments

• 1B8BE8B3-A62D-4045-9A89-689AE54EB5E5.jpeg
    1B8BE8B3-A62D-4045-9A89-689AE54EB5E5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1185EFFE-A750-4FEB-83BB-E6F1FF53A532.jpeg
    1185EFFE-A750-4FEB-83BB-E6F1FF53A532.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 94150A54-6B6C-4E99-9DD6-5AF592434128.jpeg
    94150A54-6B6C-4E99-9DD6-5AF592434128.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #2,563 of 2,619
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #2,564 of 2,619
Just pulled out my K701 a couple days ago and have really been enjoying it with the QS amp. I think they “like” warmth and texture to go with the transparency they already have.

I will throw out a couple comments to the questions that have been recently been asked here. These are Austrian with the “7 bump” headband, don’t know the year they were new. They have the steeply angled earpads, providing a fair amount of narrow front - wide rear spacing when on the head while still sealing well. I’m not a gamer, but might guess this would be beneficial stage-wise for that hobby. For music, it’s nice separation without seeming unnatural to me. AKG, of course, did this before many other companies, for example Senn with their chassis and Audeze with their angled pads. The other that comes to mind when these were new is Stax Lambdas with the angled driver so many years.

I don’t know if they still come with angled pads or if such pads are available. I did have a K712 a few years ago and it had even depth pads all around.

Anyway, enjoy the K701s folks!!
You want to try something interesting. When I had my Akg 701s(the headband on mine completely disintegrated on my old Austrian mane AKG 701s after 10 years of use) I upgraded the headphone plug on mine with the Furutech brass 1/4 inch plug and it made a pretty noticeable difference on the 701s. Much better overall sound with better bottom end and definitely worth the effort . On My akg 712s I have a Moon Audio Silver dragon cable with the Furutech carbon fiber 1/4 inch headphone plug. the 712 sounds great with the cable upgrade as well> The carbon fiber plug is better than the Furutech brass plug but ouch the price is pretty steep. For the money the Furutech 1/4 inch headphone plugs are hard to beat. You get a lot of bang for a small investment. So, try changing the stock plug on your

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #2,565 of 2,619
You want to try something interesting. When I had my Akg 701s(the headband on mine completely disintegrated on my old Austrian mane AKG 701s after 10 years of use) I upgraded the headphone plug on mine with the Furutech brass 1/4 inch plug and it made a pretty noticeable difference on the 701s. Much better overall sound with better bottom end and definitely worth the effort . On My akg 712s I have a Moon Audio Silver dragon cable with the Furutech carbon fiber 1/4 inch headphone plug. the 712 sounds great with the cable upgrade as well> The carbon fiber plug is better than the Furutech brass plug but ouch the price is pretty steep. For the money the Furutech 1/4 inch headphone plugs are hard to beat. You get a lot of bang for a small investment. So, try changing the stock plug on your
akg 701s. I know you will definitely like your Akg 701s a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back