K81DJ mods?
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 15
theres a blutack mod (not really liked much) and a velour pad mod (again not liked much SQ wise, but i altered the pad to make it work
smily_headphones1.gif
post coming soon.... )

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Sell them. Bloody awful head clamp torture device.

Simon

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing its headband has metal in it such that with careful bending its clamping force may be modified.

And kiss your arse goodbye as you watch the plastic around the metal crack

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 15
All I'm doing is putting the headphones around a stack of books and getting out my heatgun/hairdryer, then heating up the headband. Leaving it there for a couple of weeks should 'fix' it.

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I'm doing is putting the headphones around a stack of books and getting out my heatgun/hairdryer, then heating up the headband. Leaving it there for a couple of weeks should 'fix' it.

Well, I admit I have to admire your dedication to the cause.
After much stretching I found salvation in a slice of athletic insole fixed to the underside of the headband. This stopped me getting presure induced headaches (really, I'm not kidding here). Sadly the bass these phones produced gave me another headache so I had to part with them

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And kiss your arse goodbye as you watch the plastic around the metal crack

Good thing I only guessed. I snapped the headband of my HD580 by bending it back too far. Plastic doesn't bend so well, but metal does.

Quote:

After much stretching I found salvation in a slice of athletic insole fixed to the underside of the headband.

Very nice and ingenious solution - affix something to the headband that applies reverse pressure.

Quote:

Sadly the bass these phones produced gave me another headache so I had to part with them

I have the JBL 410 which has too much bass for its own good. I tuned it down by adding foam under the ear pads. Here is my thread about this mod.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 15
I got the k518 and I think its the same. For me its not the clamping pressure its the length of the band. The band is hurtin' my noggin lol. For the pressure what I did is clamp it on top of the computer and the pressure is not that much.

Can the band be replace with something longer? I guess the possibility is low.

How much do you think a used one goes for? I only used it 2-4 times.

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from recabling and the foam removal?

The best mod I can think of is selling the AKGs and buying the Denon D1001s. While I was a long-time beliver in the K81DJs, I've now heard how much better the Denons sound, not to mention how much more comfortable.

I gave my AKGs to my kids (let them suffer) and use the D1001s for my knock-around cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back