Ken Rockwell Audio Reviews - Ultrasone Edition 8 and Stax
Apr 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

shipsupt

Headphoneus Supremus
Apr 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 24
Thank you for posting these. I'll be reading them very soon. I did a quick look at the ED 8 review and am excited to get more in depth with it.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 24
Ehhhh I take everything Ken Rockwell says with a grain of salt. You read his 'about me' section and you'll find out that he uses his website mostly as a joke. On his photography articles some topics were stretched or downright silly. Things like using raw format is amateurish when it's the standard in the professional community. I can't say he'll be the same for headphones, I just never really trusted the guy.

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 24
"Unlike lesser headphones that need dedicated amplifiers along with their own problems, just plug these in, and you'll immediately be so enthralled with the sound that you won't take them off for a long time."

Lesser headphones?  Oh you funny!!!

"Bass is fun with these headphones. Bass finally has just the right impact and depth."

The right impact?  It's emphasized bass!!!  Not neutral at all...

The more reviews this guy writes, the more I think he's an idiot...

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 24
This guy is a complete idiot with his reviews. I don't know why he is so popular on Google. Looks like we just gave him a couple more hits to add to his growing ego.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
"Bass is fun with these headphones. Bass finally has just the right impact and depth."

The right impact?  It's emphasized bass!!!  Not neutral at all...

I think he's right about this one.  Due to the equal loudness contours, closed headphones are usually best with a bit of a smile curve because there's usually not much point in having isolation if you aren't going to take advantage of it by listening at a quieter volume.

I think he seems too impressed with the S Logic though.  Making everything sound like its behind you if you flip them around isn't some kind of black magic only Ultrasone knows.  My modded T50RPs do it and I'd bet the HD800s he reviewed earlier would do it if he tried.  Its not anything special.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 24
I think Ken Rockwell is a realist and tells it how it is.

I've read a lot of his photography equipment reviews over the years and he's never let me down. His comments on RAW I adopt, even the photo shoots I do there is little need for RAW these days. If you read his reviews you'll save a dollar or two and likely end up with the better product. A lot of these photography reviews found in magazines, DPReview and the likes have to keep their sponsors in mind.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 24
Digging up an old thread...

I guess DT880s are better than either the Ed8s and the HD800.

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/dt-880.htm

I guess he's also turned into a headophile.

In any case, if you've ever read any of his reviews of equipment, you'll see that he's extremely biased, in the sense that he only thinks of something for his applications (like landscape photography). Many things that matter to a lot of pros (due to their specific field like wedding, portraits, etc...) he really doesn't consider. Yes they are sometimes fun to read but most of the times, I am shaking my head at his narrow minded view of things.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 24
Ken Rockwell's main business is reviewing Nikon camera lenses and trust me, even Nikon users like me don't trust this guy. No reason I would trust him to review top end headphones like the HD800.

His statement below says it all:

"Forgive my simple English, but the soundstage sounds the same to me as every other headphone."

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
I think Ken Rockwell is a realist and tells it how it is.

I've read a lot of his photography equipment reviews over the years and he's never let me down. His comments on RAW I adopt, even the photo shoots I do there is little need for RAW these days. If you read his reviews you'll save a dollar or two and likely end up with the better product. A lot of these photography reviews found in magazines, DPReview and the likes have to keep their sponsors in mind.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Some of the things he says comes as a fresh counterpart to some of the silliness that has been going on around in the world of digital photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back