KG CFA3 headphone amp
Sep 16, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 1,794
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 1,794
Mastering the Planar:

The CFA curiosity was borne out of cursory drive. First starting with the little Transconductance which has served the Code-X well. Inspired by the rather mediocre Bakoon HPA**

Little documented under the CFA3, however, suffice to say, a true reference, and Kevin Gilmore's best dynamic amplifier to date.

I will focus on comparisons of the CFA v the 13R as I feel the other amplifiers I brought in underwhelmed. Those being the Riviera AFC-10, BHA-1 and Formula S amplifiers.

The Dynahi serves a bit redundant and there are enough words of commentary around its sound performance and comparisons there-in.

To start, the Bakoon AMP-13R is very diminutive and is quite impressive in its stature. Quick aside: the bottom heatsinks that serve as footers feel a bit clever — although its efficiency may remain in question. The design of the 13R is also very impressive with the single volume knob controlling set gain, volume, input control, power. Yet doesn't match the Acoustic Dimensions 41-step attenuator used in the CFA.

The 13R’s price tag of $6k does not lend itself to as much flattery.
However, it’s my money and it’s my bias.

On to the sound:
*I have had an difficulty discerning the SS/ZF in the CFA, as such, ZF only was employed*
The CFA provides very deep, powerful bass with absolute master control. Bass lines are clear in delineation, punch and extension. It really elevates the visceral quality of the Abyss to at least a step above. Mid-bass is presented in balance and again control as there is no bleed into the mids.

Mids feel rather neutral, clear, lacking some richness — not so mid centric and really a little dry.

Aside: this characteristic perhaps attributed to the Linear System v Toshiba. I may, if motivated-inclined investigate swapping the Linear for Toshiba*

The Abyss also does not serve as the sweetest sounding driver, to be clear.

Treble has beautifully detailed and extended range. I might say a little crystalline sparkle — although I might also prefer to avoid a floral language. Here, too, perhaps dry/harsh. I like this lack of warmth in trade of what I will personally regard as natural realism.

The 13R is, in contrast — struggling. Bass presence feels forced and in context I mean delineation is more blurred — softer (not bloomed.) The control is missing as it doesn’t present enough powerful control. The visceral body is simply missing by about 1 1/2 steps below.

Mids are presented with a softer touch, less voluminous, less bodied. A little centric and a little warm and relaxed. I can’t say I love this. I do not.

The treble is smooth, very smooth but again, lacks the control I seek. Extension up top is cut off and detail is a bit congested. This amplifier does not feel swift-footed as I'd say marketed. There is a very passive nature to the sound of this amplifier which I feel simply blunts what the Abyss can offer that no other can match.
If I may, the 13R feels a bit in character to the ECP 3F — to give a fair picture. A soft house-sound.

The CFA feels like the Dynahi to N. Less warmth and impresses upon more delivery. Better control of space and bass. A more lively and dynamic house-sound.

Long Live the Cult of Gilmore. Leave your politics at the door.

Up next Eddie Current 6L6 ultra-linear. And perhaps a cooked Copenhagen if I can bribe Doug of ECP Audio.
IMG_20200921_124521.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 1,794
Thank you for the impressions. Better bass than a Dynahi?! I'm a bit surprised you didn't like the AFC10, which I thought was a wonderful amp. The CFA-3 seems like a very impressive amplifier though based off your description, probably not the one for me. Time to set aside some pennies for an ECP amp I guess!

Sep 22, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 1,794
Better bass than the SuSy Dynahi. More bass definition, more punch. Dynahi carries a little warmth which many find pleasing though.

The AFC-10 is ok. Softer sounding even than the 13R. As a matter of preference, it simply didn't meet my criteria for good sound. Talking that nth degree.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 1,794
Its sound quality is dog crap for the money. Welcome to commercial gear. :laughing:

For that directive, I have a lot of faith in Doug's designs. He can play with gain options, to give you drive for any load.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 1,794
I've yet to hear a hybrid that I felt was a great middle-ground of the two. It's one reason I've decided to pursue an EC 6L6 ultra-linear, however, discussion of the CFA/hybrid peaked some interest as well.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 1,794
Its sound quality is dog crap for the money. Welcome to commercial gear. :laughing:

For that directive, I have a lot of faith in Doug's designs. He can play with gain options, to give you drive for any load.

Essentially why I almost exclusively go for DIY amps. It's crazy the kind of quality you can get for far less.

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #26 of 1,794
Yea. Don't forget your Abyss at the door!

Your welcome though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back