Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Jan 17, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #316 of 320
I'm just about to order HEKSE and was thinking about this amp. Could you please share some thoughts from your side on how this combo paired for you?
Especially that volume knob control, if it was not too loud for HEKSE.

Also, I'm a bit wondering why you sold the Kinki so fast. Was there some serious issue with this setup, especially in connection with the HEKSE?
Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hey, so it's been a while now since I had them, so I'll comment from my auditory recollection which is not the best in this hobby.

For me the pairing was awesome, the amp had the warmth but powerful sound that complemented the headphone really well.

I sold because I got tired of the hobby!

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #317 of 320
When adding the Elise's (upgraded tubes) to the Kinki it's like putting mayonnaise in a very good dish, I can't ask for more, I think the peak where I am not looking for anything else is right here, aka end game

With Elise's upgraded tubes (Psvane CV181-MK2 + RCA 6080WC) I get very big soundstage, extreme detail and realism sensation I never experienced before as I usually listen to classical music the most, specially from videogames, out of the Kinki I keep those properties + THR-1's own flavour giving even more body to bass-mid frequencies and keeping the treble tamed, which is what I value the most.

D8K Pro keeps scaling with any gear you add to the mix, amazing.
What video game soundtracks do you enjoy?

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #319 of 320
What video game soundtracks do you enjoy?
Final Fantasy mostly, any release but specially Uematsu's, Mizuta's or Soken's... But music classical in general where beings put their hearts and souls into the instruments

More polite as in the dynamics aren't as strong?
The Kinki doesn't hit as hard in the bass it is less tight and neutral, same for the midrange. It's not delivering the same amount of current in real time depending on the frequencies so it's like a constant vibrato with the Kinki that makes it sound really special. Dynamics are as strong, differences weren't that notorious but clearly noticeable

Soundstage is big and spacious and it is 0% bright. I had 0 hiss with it and D8K Pro using SE Low, I didn't enjoy XLR output so I cannot recommend the THR-1 for extra sensitive HPs or IEMs unless you're gonna use SE Low output

I would get another THR-1 and complement with the V281 but the V281 is the superior one 100%

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #320 of 320
Final Fantasy mostly, any release but specially Uematsu's, Mizuta's or Soken's... But music classical in general where beings put their hearts and souls into the instruments

The Kinki doesn't hit as hard in the bass it is less tight and neutral, same for the midrange. It's not delivering the same amount of current in real time depending on the frequencies so it's like a constant vibrato with the Kinki that makes it sound really special. Dynamics are as strong, differences weren't that notorious but clearly noticeable

Soundstage is big and spacious and it is 0% bright. I had 0 hiss with it and D8K Pro using SE Low, I didn't enjoy XLR output so I cannot recommend the THR-1 for extra sensitive HPs or IEMs unless you're gonna use SE Low output

I would get another THR-1 and complement with the V281 but the V281 is the superior one 100%
IME pre-amping the THR-1 with a tube amp, such as the Schiit Freya N, improves the dynamics aspect depending on which tubes you use. The special thing about the Kinki (esp. with tube pre) is that it surrounds you in sound that isn't overly sharpened and lets you focus on whatever part of the song you want (it doesn't force you to listen), all while projecting a soundstage that is fleshed out in all three dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back