Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #301 of 320
Can anyone here speak to how the THR-1 compares to a Rag II?

I won a Rag II on eBay but the seller cancelled the sale... I'm looking at a Rag as it does everything I could ever want it to. However, it'd be good to know how the sound compares to the Kinki for if/when there is another listed for sale over here in the U.K..

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #302 of 320
Just received a second-hand THR-1 with about 50 hours of burn-in per the seller. If 50 hours sounds this good, I am extremely curious as to what 300 hours sounds like. Currently running the XTC Open with the Cen.Grand acting as pre-out. I have tried many amps at CanJam this year, including the V590^2 and the Niimbus 5 Pro, to name a few, and these make the best pairing with my cans (neutral bright tuned) barring the dCS stuff. The sound is effortless, pretty smooth (hopefully improves even more over time, I can already notice it), and very musical. The best part is the projected soundstage is incredibly large, way larger than the output from the Cen.Grand. These headphones only have a medium-large sized stage to begin with, but the THR-1 took it to the next level. Cannot believe this thing's MSRP is only $1298. Absolutely a steal.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #305 of 320
I have noticed a little hum in the left driver of my headphones during power on that gets quieter as I use it. Is this normal with the THR-1? Does the background noise improve over time with burn-in, or is 64 ohms 113 db too sensitive for the amp?

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #306 of 320
I've never experienced anything like that, but the left 6.5mm is supposed to be best for high sensitivity cans/iems. (I think it's the left might be right can't remember, been awhile since I used anything other than the xlr. Also note that Kinki isnt a true balanced amp it just offers xlr for convenience, the other 6.5 is supposed to be the same as the xlr (power/Sensitivity wise)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #307 of 320
I have noticed a little hum in the left driver of my headphones during power on that gets quieter as I use it. Is this normal with the THR-1? Does the background noise improve over time with burn-in, or is 64 ohms 113 db too sensitive for the amp?
Make sure you're connected to the LOW output using SE, forget XLR, I had never ever experienced any hum with THR-1

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #308 of 320
There might be a ground loop present
Make sure you're connected to the LOW output using SE, forget XLR, I had never ever experienced any hum with THR-1
It may be a ground loop issue. There is hissing with my cans but only if I turn the volume up to the max. Anything else is just a very slight buzz. I connect my laptop and DAC to the same power so I am hoping the ifi GND defender can solve the issue with the amplifier.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #309 of 320
Issue fixed! The million cables I had around the desk and in the extension strip were too noisy, so I separated them so they weren't touching each other and bought another extension strip just for the amp and dac. Turns out clean power is important for your audio equipment :)

Oct 6, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #310 of 320
Issue fixed! The million cables I had around the desk and in the extension strip were too noisy, so I separated them so they weren't touching each other and bought another extension strip just for the amp and dac. Turns out clean power is important for your audio equipment :)
Enjoy bro

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #311 of 320
Just curious. Does anyone have a comparison or know what the difference in sound is between a brand-new THR-1 and a fully burned-in one at 300 hours? I am trying to gauge how much more analog the amp could sound, currently at ~70 hours.

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #312 of 320
How prevalent is the channel imbalance on low volumes for sensitive (101 to 102 DB) dynamic headphones with low impedance (24 to 70 Ohms range)? I gather hiss may not be an issue using Low headphone output for my headphone range?

I am surely attracted to the warm sound signature from this amp but the high gain quirks seems a bit of a hassle, I see some using RCA attenuators and the preamp out also seems a bit too hot for driving power amps?

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #313 of 320
How prevalent is the channel imbalance on low volumes for sensitive (101 to 102 DB) dynamic headphones with low impedance (24 to 70 Ohms range)? I gather hiss may not be an issue using Low headphone output for my headphone range?

I am surely attracted to the warm sound signature from this amp but the high gain quirks seems a bit of a hassle, I see some using RCA attenuators and the preamp out also seems a bit too hot for driving power amps?
I do not experience any hiss issues even with my 64 Ohm 114dB XTC Opens with the low headphone output under normal volume ranges (9-3). However, if I turn the volume on the THR-1 to the max, there is quite a loud hiss present. I am using the DAC pre-out as the DAC doesn't have any line out, which may be a good thing for this amp in particular.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #314 of 320

I find it to be stellar as a preamp, it's very fast and dynamic with very low hitting bass. It makes for a wonderful pairing with fast speakers like Triangles or Focals.

For noise, I have an iSINE 20 and a full size 20 ohm planar, they pick up no noise, a Ps500e, again, no noise, my 35ohm Elegia, it always picks up noise. Doesn't matter how the chain changes, it always has and probably always will find noise, however, I'm probably using the balanced tap with Elegia where it's not impedance matched, and all noise instantaneously drops to nothing consistently as the knob is turned, I wouldn't worry about it. This amp is also heavenly with Focals. I forget the exact part, but the channel imbalance is due to the type of potentiometer used on this amp, even with something like a Moondrop Aria, it is not going to make such a difference that it should deter anyone from purchasing the amp.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #315 of 320
Long gone!
I'm just about to order HEKSE and was thinking about this amp. Could you please share some thoughts from your side on how this combo paired for you?
Especially that volume knob control, if it was not too loud for HEKSE.

Also, I'm a bit wondering why you sold the Kinki so fast. Was there some serious issue with this setup, especially in connection with the HEKSE?
Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back