Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #31 of 320
Thanks for these comments. For Susvara, I read the THR-1 can do a better job than the Burson (to bring out the best in the Susvara). Do you know if this is true?
Both drives Susvara nicely but Kinki is having more headroom and driving it with more ease. What the Kinki shines for me is its smoothness tonality and the analogue sound, which make Susvara a real joy to listen for hours.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #32 of 320
Both drives Susvara nicely but Kinki is having more headroom and driving it with more ease. What the Kinki shines for me is its smoothness tonality and the analogue sound, which make Susvara a real joy to listen for hours.
This is great to know, thanks! :beerchug:

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #33 of 320
What the Kinki shines for me is its smoothness tonality and the analogue sound, which make Susvara a real joy to listen for hours.
Is this the case even if you don't run your HPA4 as poweramp in your chain? I.e. with just the TRH-1. I am going to order the TRH-1 soon but I need to understand if it is a good choice for the Susvara, which is why I am asking. Next year I can look at adding a reference amp to my chain but for now it would be only the Soloist and the TRH-1 if I buy it.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #34 of 320
Is this the case even if you don't run your HPA4 as poweramp in your chain? I.e. with just the TRH-1. I am going to order the TRH-1 soon but I need to understand if it is a good choice for the Susvara, which is why I am asking. Next year I can look at adding a reference amp to my chain but for now it would be only the Soloist and the TRH-1 if I buy it.
With Susvara I only use either the Kinki and the Burson as poweramp. Despite HPA4 drives the Susvara nicely, it does not do it great so I never use it as poweramp. On the other hand, HPA4 is having one of the best line amplification stage so it is quite natural for my setup.

Previously I considered getting AIC-10 as my endgame headphone amplifier but with the Kinki now, I found myself pretty close to what I need already.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #35 of 320
With Susvara I only use either the Kinki and the Burson as poweramp. Despite HPA4 drives the Susvara nicely, it does not do it great so I never use it as poweramp. On the other hand, HPA4 is having one of the best line amplification stage so it is quite natural for my setup.

Previously I considered getting AIC-10 as my endgame headphone amplifier but with the Kinki now, I found myself pretty close to what I need already.
Thanks for this. Can I ask a few questions please to understand properly as I am making some purchase decisions with this information:

1. How is the TRH-1 performing on it's own with the Susvara?
2. Did you try Soloist as poweramp and TRH-1 as pre? I am interested to know how this sounds.
3. Are you using your HPA4 in your chain with the Susvara or is it only using the TRH-1 or Soloist as poweramps?

Sorry for the questions. I hope it is ok. I want to understand these things so that I make the best purchase decision I am able to for now.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #36 of 320
Thanks for this. Can I ask a few questions please to understand properly as I am making some purchase decisions with this information:

1. How is the TRH-1 performing on it's own with the Susvara?
2. Did you try Soloist as poweramp and TRH-1 as pre? I am interested to know how this sounds.
3. Are you using your HPA4 in your chain with the Susvara or is it only using the TRH-1 or Soloist as poweramps?

Sorry for the questions. I hope it is ok. I want to understand these things so that I make the best purchase decision I am able to for now.
1. On standalone basis, THR-1 performs very well with Susvara with good dynamics, smooth and natural sound. Resolution is good (better with HPA4 as pre) and micro details is amazing.
2. Line amplification and volume control of Burson is with similar quality with the Kinki so there will be not much benefit of doing so. Anyway I expect the sound signature will be similar to standalone THR-1.
3. I am using both. HPA4 is a very good amp for Susvara. On standalone basis, I enjoy the Kinki the most with Susvara, followed by Burson Conductor 3XR and then Benchmark HPA4.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #37 of 320
20211021_220758.jpg

Pretty much my endgame here. Just got Woo WA22 and using it's as Preamp to Kinki THR-1 as Poweramp driving my Susvara.

Simply ticked all boxes on resolution, dynamics, imaging, power and tonality. I am at the music paradise.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #38 of 320

Pretty much my endgame here. Just got Woo WA22 and using it's as Preamp to Kinki THR-1 as Poweramp driving my Susvara.

Simply ticked all boxes on resolution, dynamics, imaging, power and tonality. I am at the music paradise.
What a killer setup you've got... I used Elise as preamp to Kinki and damn.... There's always ways to improve an already amazing sounding system

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #39 of 320
What a killer setup you've got... I used Elise as preamp to Kinki and damn.... There's always ways to improve an already amazing sounding system
Elise is an awesome one. How does the Kinki sound with it with you D8K Pro?

Seems that the Kinki partners really well with tube pre-amp.

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #40 of 320
20211021_220758.jpg

Forgive the noob sounding question here, but why would you use a preamp in front of your headphone amp which already has a volume knob?

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #41 of 320
Elise is an awesome one. How does the Kinki sound with it with you D8K Pro?

Seems that the Kinki partners really well with tube pre-amp.
When adding the Elise's (upgraded tubes) to the Kinki it's like putting mayonnaise in a very good dish, I can't ask for more, I think the peak where I am not looking for anything else is right here, aka end game

With Elise's upgraded tubes (Psvane CV181-MK2 + RCA 6080WC) I get very big soundstage, extreme detail and realism sensation I never experienced before as I usually listen to classical music the most, specially from videogames, out of the Kinki I keep those properties + THR-1's own flavour giving even more body to bass-mid frequencies and keeping the treble tamed, which is what I value the most.

D8K Pro keeps scaling with any gear you add to the mix, amazing.

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #42 of 320
Forgive the noob sounding question here, but why would you use a preamp in front of your headphone amp which already has a volume knob?
Function of a preamp is way more than volume control. In some headphone amps the line amplification stage may not be at good quality so adding a separate preamp may vastly improve the overall sound quality. Sometimes you can achieve higher gain and lower noise with a preamp, but most important is that you can change the sound signature of a headphone amplifier as well. For example by using a tube amplifier as preamp to a solid state poweramp, you may get the sweet and warm sound signature of tube with output power and speed of solid state.

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 320
When adding the Elise's (upgraded tubes) to the Kinki it's like putting mayonnaise in a very good dish, I can't ask for more, I think the peak where I am not looking for anything else is right here, aka end game

With Elise's upgraded tubes (Psvane CV181-MK2 + RCA 6080WC) I get very big soundstage, extreme detail and realism sensation I never experienced before as I usually listen to classical music the most, specially from videogames, out of the Kinki I keep those properties + THR-1's own flavour giving even more body to bass-mid frequencies and keeping the treble tamed, which is what I value the most.

D8K Pro keeps scaling with any gear you add to the mix, amazing.
Congratulations and I also mainly listen to Classical, Acoustic Jazz and vocal. Will try some tube rolling when my newly ordered tubes arrives.

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #44 of 320
Function of a preamp is way more than volume control. In some headphone amps the line amplification stage may not be at good quality so adding a separate preamp may vastly improve the overall sound quality. Sometimes you can achieve higher gain and lower noise with a preamp, but most important is that you can change the sound signature of a headphone amplifier as well. For example by using a tube amplifier as preamp to a solid state poweramp, you may get the sweet and warm sound signature of tube with output power and speed of solid state.
Ok, I assumed more or less what you mentioned in your answer, but thanks for clarifying. One con to consider is you're adding another component and cable to the chain. I do get the gain matching thing to an extent, though that would be more important if you were using a regular stereo amp vs a HP amp. Presumably a HP amp already has gain settings. No doubt adding any preamp will alter the sound, which is subjective. I thought the Kinki was already warm? But to each their own. Thanks for your feedback

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #45 of 320
20211021_220758.jpg

This is a fantastic setup. Your news of the WA22 as pre is great news for me. I have the Little Dot MK VI+ with some excellent tubes. I will certainly test it as pre when I have my TRH-1. It looks like I will have my Susvara in early December. Exciting times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back