Klipsch IMAGE earphone review
Feb 19, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #91 of 118
I feel bad posting a negative when there is a lot to like about the IMAGE so here's a more full opinion from me.

The usual high end stuff is included such as a nice case and airplane dual prong adapter. Have to say I still use my Sony MDR EX71 felt bag because it's just big enough for my Zen and buds and fits in a pocket easier. Construction seems first rate. The wires are a bit stiffer than those with the super-soft rubber coating but I suspect this means it will last.

All that computer analysis of silicone ear canal molds paid off and Klipsch nailed the eargonomics at least for me. They are very easy to put in and get a good seal with using the standard oval gel tips and they stay in well enough so you can even take them to the gym, ride a bike etc. if you can keep the wires under control so they don't tug.

They're small and very comfortable and I quickly forget I'm wearing them. Maybe the only thing I have to watch is actually putting them in a bit too far as a holdover from struggling with other IEMs, so I'm careful to wiggle and tug a little as a last step but otherwise it's as easy as pop them in and pop them out. You can fool with the sq some by messing with the seal.

On to the sound. My first impression that has stayed with me is - wow what nice bass. This was the last thing I expected from the little guys but it's deep, smooth and articulate with maybe the Klipsch mid-bass hump in there somewhere. My favorite kind of music to listen to with these has wound up being heavier rock like Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed and enjoying some power bass like never before.

Detail is superb. I would say these are very fast IEMs but I would love to hear what other people think. I can just about count how many snares a snare drum has with these. Echos abound, bass drum echoes like you've probably never heard before. Seperation and dynamic range are great as you'd expect.

Isolation is what you'd expect with the single flange oval buds. Maybe 10-12db or so?

Soundstage. Here is another small detraction. Soundstage is immediate but curiously closed as another poster mentioned. I have a bunch of true binaural recordings (made with two microphones the same distance apart as your ears) and most headsets place you right into the middle of the sound so you can hear glasses clinking behind you for example. I'm not getting a great soundstage of these recordings with the IMAGES. Again as the other reviewer noted it's definitely not a 360 degree sound, but it's ok and not really a problem.

Treble. As I noted the treble seems a little harsh to me. I first noticed it as again another poster pointed out, some vocals are bright and centered and just get into your head too much. A CD I like to use as a female vocal standard is Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy where you can listen for how natural and distinct the intertwined two vocal and lead guitar parts are (example: Good Enough). Distinct with the IMAGEs yes, natural - not quite. The vocal treble can be improved a little with eq (+1k and -2k) and making sure your seal is good but I'm looking forward to hearing if Shure tips or others can soften it some more.

So that's where I am with the IMAGEs. I'm having my little problems with them but also loving the comfort, portability and overall great sound and they're definitely staying in my ears.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #92 of 118
Just got my Images and loving them with either the medium tips they came with or the medium flanges. Both are quite comfortable. The sound is like my Ety4p on steroids or HGH. Just exactly what I was hoping for. And soundstage to die for--using 5.5g Imod with portable amp, that is.

OK now the question: I read in these threads about burn-in. Do these guys change character after so many hours??? In other words, do they burn-in?? Or will they sound the same after 100+ hours as they do now???

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #93 of 118
Welcome to the Image club! It's so hard to take mine out of my ears ...

I was going to update my review with burn in so here we go. The treble I was complaining about softened up nicely over time - I'd say after roughly 30-40 hours. I tend to not believe in burn in but my ears (and comparison with well burned in Atrios as a benchmark) tell me otherwise and it has been a significant change. The treble is great and transparent these days. Sarah McLachlan just sounds breathy now.

I haven't found tips I like better than the single oval gel tips. The Atrio big foamies are a nice second though, they can be smooshed on even though most tips this size like Shure Olives do not fit.

Two other comments I would add are for the high and low end. The bass is just the way I like it but does not have the physical sensation of bass like the Atrios do - if that's what you like. Classic armature vs. dynamic I guess. In a related thought the Images are probably cutting out somewhere above 20Hz (maybe 40 or so) but don't have a really good way to test this. Also the highs are certainly rolled off a little. I haven't tried an amp yet and that may be a factor, but I am getting one to try. These are picky, minor comments though - I am thoroughy impressed by these little things.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #94 of 118
dr dougie: thanx for the comments. I am a firm believer in burn-in just because the developers of all these electronics tell me their products need burn-in; altho I don't see this fact from Klipsch. (and here I think about ray samuels' amps, xin amps and the portaphile, so if it's true with IEMs I don't know) Still, good to hear they might transform themselves a bit. Must try Sara since I'm a big Krall fan,

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #96 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by diab0lik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought armature iems don't need burn in?

It seems that tnmike1 is generalizing about electronics needing burn-in. I believe the general consensus is that micro-armature IEMs do not benefit from burn-in. Of course, it won't hurt to burn them in either.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #97 of 118
No, Tnmike1 was responding to Dr. Dougie's comment about the Images changing sonics after 30-40 hrs and that his ears had told him something had changed. I am totally unclear about burn-in with these IEMs--some say its a fact others don't according to the way they're built.

and yes, I believe in burn-in when the developer tells me--as does ray samuels, cesar of Portaphile, etc--that it will take manyhours for the amps to burn in. All that stated, I haven't heard the Images need it, so was wondering whether it was a fact with the Images

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #98 of 118
Prof Thump of Klipsch said their IEMs don't benefit from burn in.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #101 of 118
Apr 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #102 of 118
Having them for several months now, I also give them two thumbs up. They are by far my favorite IEMs, even after trying SE530s, Denon c700k, and Custom-3s.

So darn comfortable, and I absolutely love the sound signature.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #103 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having them for several months now, I also give them two thumbs up. They are by far my favorite IEMs, even after trying SE530s, Denon c700k, and Custom-3s.

So darn comfortable, and I absolutely love the sound signature.

I've gone for the SA6's -and I'm defo very psyched about my choice!- but I have to admit, that the images always held a particular charm and allure for me. The major deal breaker was reportedly terrible microphonics. As you seem to love this item, could you give me your take on how bad you've found the microphonics? I'm guessin not too shabby in your experience
wink.gif
but if you could expand. Cheers.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #104 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soozieq, Have you tried ordering the Image directly from Klipsh. The list on them is $350.

I am in love with these headphones.

Have you heard them through an amp. If so, does the sound improve a lot when paired with an amp?

When I had them, I used the Images with either my Portaphile or Tomahawk with a 5.5g Imod. I thought they were too "bright" andat the time were comparing them to Triple Fi and Sleek. That said, though, others tell me they get really better with a tubey-sounding amp like Xin's products. Bushguy especially likes his with his Reference. So don't know. If I could find a reasonably priced Xin amp, or the Millett Hybrid, might retry them but with my two amps didin't like them as much as the Triples. Just too "sterile" without the fullness or warmth of Triples.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #105 of 118
What portable amps are you using with the Image??? I'm told by several people that they really shine with a tubey-type amp like Xin's or Millet. Just wondering what everyone's choice is to get great synergy out of these IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back