Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 13, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #60,557 of 64,211
Found some graphs for the PR1 Pro and started playing around with AutoEQ.
Measurement is from ianfann, target is HBB.
Check out that FR all the way up to 5kHz. No wonder why I like it so much.
The AutoEQ takes the spice out of the treble and gives a very balanced response across the entire graph
Screenshot 2022-12-08 005104.png
it takes off the coldness from the PR1 Pro, a bit off the treble and adds some warmth

in lots of tracks it's just subtle but the most common change is that the highs are tamed a bit and the feeling of coldness is gone

thanks a lot for the EQ !

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #60,561 of 64,211
Anyone else with the PR1 Pro noticing a better soundstage and imaging over the PLA13/PR1 Hifi? It doesn't make sense and shouldn't really be possible if it's the same driver, but that's what im perceiving (no A/B test though).

Definitely, the Pro sound stage and imaging are better than those of HiFi.
Hifi are noticeably less sensitive and correspondingly feel more dampened with the direct hit to the stage, transparency and layering.

At the same time, the stage on few other larger-driver planars is more spacious in comparison, e.g Dioko by perhaps a little bit, and Muse Power significantly - one of the most spacious IEM that I have (treble is rich and does require some attention).

Overall, relative to other planars that I have and quite a few of other IEMs in the $50-100 range, PR1 pro feel solidly competitive at $70-80.

Above average. Instruments are easily pinpointed in complicated Metal passages. One of the best KZ's I've heard to date, and it had me engaged the whole time while listening last night.

The PR1 HiFi is the cleanest and best KZ I've heard to date. I put it up against my AS12 and, while the AS12 is an 8.5 out of 10 in my book, the PR1 is definitely next level and an easy 9.5 on said level.

PR1 HiFi's separation, imaging and soundstage are surreal.

I purchased the PR1 HiFi because I wanted the all metal shells as opposed to the PR1 Pro shells but the way you guys are talking I will definitely have to order the PR1 Pro because I can't imagine it sounding better than the PR1 HiFi.

FYI, I'm the guy that won't typically spend in excess of $70 or $80.

20221214_235432.jpg

A few questions, though.

I was originally going to order the AS16 Pro because I'm a huge fan of the sub-$20 CCA Lyra and the AS16 Pro is reportedly a more dynamic and more refined Lyra. I can order both the AS16 Pro and the PR1 Pro but any feedback from someone who has both would be appreciated. Would the AS16 Pro be a worthy addition to my collection (I've been collecting since the ED9 was released) or is the PR1 Pro a tier up and in a class of its own at its price?

In addition, I found that the CCA HM20 sounds a great deal like two of my KZ favorites from yesteryear. The HM20 sits right between the ED8 (which has more extension in the sub bass) and HDS3 (which has less sub bass extension but great punchy mid bass). Of course the HM20 is several tiers up but it's as smooth and engaging as both the ED8 and the HDS3.

1471261163552448.jpg

KZ-ED8-Extremely-Strong-Bass-In-Ear-Cool-Stereo-HiFi-Music-Earphone-Headphones-With-Microphone-1.jpg

My question for the KZ veterans is what about the CCA CA16. Is the sound signature similar to the ED8, HDS3 and HM20 warm and smooth presentation. The HDS3 and ED8 were long time favorites back in the day but the HM20 is top dog for that kind of presentation. Would the CCA CA16 be a worthy addition to my collection or is the HM20 a step up from the CCA CA16? If it's different enough I'll pick one up but only if it's not severely outclassed by the very good HM20.

41drQoKIUiS._AC_SY1000_DpWeblab_.jpg

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #60,562 of 64,211
The PR1 HiFi is the cleanest and best KZ I've heard to date. I put it up against my AS12 and, while the AS12 is an 8.5 out of 10 in my book, the PR1 is definitely next level and an easy 9.5 on said level.

I purchased the PR1 HiFi because I wanted the all metal shells as opposed to the PR1 Pro shells but the way you guys are talking I will definitely have to order the PR1 Pro because I can't imagine it sounding better than the PR1 HiFi.

A few questions, though.

I was originally going to order the AS16 Pro because I'm a huge fan of the sub-$20 CCA Lyra and the AS16 Pro is reportedly a more dynamic and more refined Lyra. I can order both the AS16 Pro and the PR1 Pro but any feedback from someone who has both would be appreciated. Would the AS16 Pro be a worthy addition to my collection (I've been collecting since the ED9 was released) or is the PR1 Pro a tier up and in a class of its own at its price?

In addition, I found that the CCA HM20 sounds a great deal like two of my KZ favorites from yesteryear. The HM20 sits right between the ED8 (which has more extension in the sub bass) and HDS3 (which has less sub bass extension but great punchy mid bass). Of course the HM20 is several tiers up but it's as smooth and engaging as both the ED8 and the HDS3.

My question for the KZ veterans is what about the CCA CA16. Is the sound signature similar to the ED8, HDS3 and HM20 warm and smooth presentation. The HDS3 and ED8 were long time favorites back in the day but the HM20 is top dog for that kind of presentation. Would the CCA CA16 be a worthy addition to my collection or is the HM20 a step up from the CCA CA16? If it's different enough I'll pick one up but only if it's not severely outclassed by the very good HM20.

Thanks in advance.

KZ AS16Pro is very good release It falls short of Audiosense DT600, but not by as much as you would think, given the price difference! It has very good bass for an all BA set with a slightly warm tuning that is pleasant to listen to for extended periods. Still clean with none of the bleed associated with warmer DDs.

CCA CA16 was another good IEM, unapologetically warm. Smoother and less fatiguing than CCA C10. Not the prettiest shell, but very comfortable. I haven't heard the HM20 to compare, it has pretty similar configuration but with separate sound tubes and updated drivers.

I have both and they get used in regular rotation (although not as much as some other sets). :L3000:

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #60,563 of 64,211

A few questions, though.

Thanks in advance.

Nice to hear that you enjoy PR1 HiFi. They are great.
Pro are definitely more clear to my ears. KZ removed some extra bass and largely left the treble intact (while provided the foams for the treble averse :))

Now, AS16 pro are quite complimentary to planars.
If one values coherence and timbre - PR1 pro can be considered a good step above AS16 pro. Then there are BA resolution and separation in AS16 pro that planars are yet to match.

I love AS16 pro - for me, they can be best described as a great hybrid of good old AS10 and AS16 - nice bass, great resolution, while with BA timbre and some granularity (that I realized I like to hear in many genres, e.g. violin solo).
20221215_084625.jpg

AS12 are harder to compare, since I am of the impression that earlier and later versions were significantly different (I have two of most of them, KZ all-BA pokemons :wink:)

AS12 BA bass stands unmatched to me. AS16 pro are not far in bass and definitely more refined in mids and treble IMO.

Also with AS16 pro one can have all the fun with impedance adapters.
18 Ohm is supposed to deliver the tuning originally meant by KZ.
36 Ohm brings the sound signature closer to original AS16 to my ears (progressively drier more contained bass and more emphasized treble).
I read recently that someone enjoyed AS16 pro with 75 Ohm impedance adapter - should be some warm DAP.

Little to add about CA16, since I do not have any comparisons that you've mentioned.
To me CA16 are uniquely warm and resolving, one of the few DDs that I perfectly tolerate (the best DD-BA integration). Planars would be more in the direction of an upgrade of this type of signature/tuning.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #60,565 of 64,211

20221214_235432.jpg

A few questions, though.

1471261163552448.jpg
KZ-ED8-Extremely-Strong-Bass-In-Ear-Cool-Stereo-HiFi-Music-Earphone-Headphones-With-Microphone-1.jpg

41drQoKIUiS._AC_SY1000_DpWeblab_.jpg

Thanks in advance.

is the PR1 Hifi really metal ?

from what I read and saw, it's only metal plated plastic

the PR1 Pro appears to be an upgrade to the PR1 Hifi from my experience so far (I wanted to settle with the PR1 Hifi - but the PR1 Pro at 40 USD - haha - quite the bargain - and now I've arrived at planar land :) )

Dec 15, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #60,566 of 64,211
is the PR1 Hifi really metal ?

from what I read and saw, it's only metal plated plastic

the PR1 Pro appears to be an upgrade to the PR1 Hifi from my experience so far (I wanted to settle with the PR1 Hifi - but the PR1 Pro at 40 USD - haha - quite the bargain - and now I've arrived at planar land :) )
it have metal face plate and metal plated resin shell.
it basically gives you metallic touch feel but not the weight.

the plating somehow good enough that some that bought it insist its metal shell (even after scratching it). despite you know, its in the marketing material.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #60,567 of 64,211
Just gonna put it here
Just gonna put a "legendary" iem here
IMG_20221217_002452.jpg
IMG_20221217_002515.jpg
IMG_20221217_002525.jpg
I don't know how i have these pic either hahhaa
The name is DQs

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #60,568 of 64,211
it have metal face plate and metal plated resin shell.
it basically gives you metallic touch feel but not the weight.

the plating somehow good enough that some that bought it insist its metal shell (even after scratching it). despite you know, its in the marketing material.
Right :)

The outside layer is metal, thick enough to be hard, conductive and cold to wear.

Electroplating typically refers to thin decorative layers.

KZ does refer to "a higher-cost electroplating".
I would not trust my life to KZ promo materials, though; they had EST/MST drivers, etc.

Anyhow, I did a small cut next to the vent hole and looked under a microscope (near the cut the boundary of metal is best seen).
It is at least half of the metal outer layer with about 0.5-mm thickness:
20221216_123517.jpg

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #60,569 of 64,211
KZ PR1 Pro

Best $42 USD that I've spent in a very long, long time.

Out of the box experience is "Slap your Mama good"
Sub bass :ballot_box_with_check:
Has the lingering decay of a DD:ballot_box_with_check:
Vocal accuracy:ballot_box_with_check:
Minimal Bass bleed:ballot_box_with_check:
Power consumption, runs well on my Qudelix 5K:ballot_box_with_check:

This is a very dangerous gatekeeper, into the world of single driver, planars, for your pockets. For myself, I'm team KZ (in the planar wars), as they appear to be the standout (for using their own inhouse driver) and will be curious to see where they can take this to.

KZ PR1 Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back