Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 31, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #29,791 of 63,975
The picture from @Slater just reminded me I forgot to share my non intrusive ZS6 BA plug result.

I used poster putty to block off one BA. I didn't think to ask Slater if the goal was merely to block sound, or freeze the BA.

I am happy to say I like the effect. The treble volume has been tamed but the character of the iem is still unaffected.

It is reversible, but I will leave it blocked off.

So when the new models are released and the prices drop for the ZS6 during the ZS10 land rush, this helps to tame the biggest negatives, and if you don't like the results, putty is easily removed.

I always have room for 1more ZS6.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #29,792 of 63,975
Too much neutral in this discussion group that is not neutral. The EDR2 are not even remotely neutral, they have a highly elevated bass which contributes to a v-shape. The ZS5 are also not neutral. Neutrally tuned earphones below $100 are rare. The textbook example of a cheap, neutral earphone are the Fostex TE-02. Most members here would throw them in the garbage bin claiming they don't have bass - that's neutral...realistic sounding. The classic premium neutral earphones are the Etymotic ER•4S and ER4 SR.

I stand corrected! Let me rephrase, to my ears with smaller tips, EDR2 has pretty even levels of highs, mids, and bass. Definitely not neutral.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #29,793 of 63,975
Are you implying that if you ordered a mic version you won't get a braided copper cable? I was worried about that so I ordered the non-mic

Nothing but praise for the ZS10 so far.... I can't wait until a fellow head-fi member gets theirs so we can confirm the hype.

From the pictures it seemed to imply the mic version is also a braided cable, but nobody has received them yet (my taobao seller says non-mic is available on day 1, mic version need 3 more days to ship out) so we can't confirm yet. Other sites seem to imply the braided copper cable is a special freebie with the first batches of ZS10, though I suspect (and hope) it's going to be the new stock cable for ZS10 and other new launches from now, coz the old sticky rubber stock cable has earned nothing but complaints.

I'll get mine hopefully next week, if not then I'll be traveling for a week so it'll have to be the week after next. Fingers crossed!

Update: my seller confirms the mic version stock cable is also a braided cable!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #29,794 of 63,975
Too much neutral in this discussion group that is not neutral. The EDR2 are not even remotely neutral, they have a highly elevated bass which contributes to a v-shape. The ZS5 are also not neutral. Neutrally tuned budget earphones are as rare as British dentists. The textbook example of a cheap, neutral earphone are the Fostex TE-02. Most members here would throw them in the garbage bin claiming they don't have bass - that's neutral...realistic sounding.

HifiChris writes on head-fi: "The TE-02 is very neutral sounding and might be too sterile and boring for many – however, if you want to try a fairly neutral IEM for little money, this one could be for you."

The classic premium neutral earphones are the Etymotic ER•4S and ER4 SR.

Audiophiles are looking for frequency response curves close to the Fostex TE-02 one.

Maybe the edr2 are not neutral, but balanced: while their FR is not flat, none of their frequencies is so elevated to overshadow the others (or so recessed to be overshadowed by the others).

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #29,795 of 63,975
If anyone finds any Japanese reviews for the ZS10 hit me up. I can translate it into understandable English :)

I noticed some people posted Japanese reviews for the ZSR a while back from twitter, but I don't use Twitter

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #29,796 of 63,975
Is this the braided KZ ZS10 cable everyone is referring to?
upload_2018-3-31_14-41-27.png

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #29,798 of 63,975
The price of the non Mic version was higher than the Mic. Wich made me think that the non mic was braided and the mic was the usual cable.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #29,800 of 63,975
Maybe the edr2 are not neutral, but balanced: while their FR is not flat, none of their frequencies is so elevated to overshadow the others (or so recessed to be overshadowed by the others).
Possibly, but apples are apples and oranges are oranges.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #29,801 of 63,975
I saw this on the official kz store on AE:
HTB1h861bHZnBKNjSZFKq6AGOVXal.jpg

I have no idea if I'll get the cable since I didn't order from the official store. I went ahead and ordered a non-KZ 2 pin upgrade cable to go along with the ZS10. If I get the upgrade cable, great. If not, no worries.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #29,803 of 63,975

Users who are viewing this thread

Back