Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 20, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #61,576 of 64,281
I agree with the "unnatural" definition more than with the "analytical" one. I didn't like the PR2 at all, already sold after listening to them for 10 minutes max (I'm not a burn in supporter). For me, they are just badly tuned, I am new to IEMs but really don't understand the hype for this set. Personal preferences too, of course, the more a trasducer is V-shaped, the less I like it. Actually, I wonder why there is a so huge demand for V-shaped sets...

It's actually more like a far better Hexa and it certainly was well received. Not everything is to everyone's taste. If you don't like this, move on

May 20, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #61,579 of 64,281
No but not everything is to everyone's taste, everyone has their preferences but you're pretty much slamming it because its not your preference
Everyone here, and everywhere, is just voicing his personal point of view, I do not think we really need to append YMMV, IMHO and similar verbal tics at each and every post.

May 20, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #61,580 of 64,281
I agree with the "unnatural" definition more than with the "analytical" one. I didn't like the PR2 at all, already sold after listening to them for 10 minutes max (I'm not a burn in supporter). For me, they are just badly tuned, I am new to IEMs but really don't understand the hype for this set. Personal preferences too, of course, the more a trasducer is V-shaped, the less I like it. Actually, I wonder why there is a so huge demand for V-shaped sets...
It's very source dependent. With lower-power sources I tried, it sounded off or 'unnatural', so I can certainly agree with that.
Also, there is extra energy around 4k (on my set) that I want to modify, and the amount of pinna gain in general is subjective preference and may not suit some people.

May 20, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #61,582 of 64,281
It's very source dependent. With lower-power sources I tried, it sounded off or 'unnatural', so I can certainly agree with that.
Also, there is extra energy around 4k (on my set) that I want to modify, and the amount of pinna gain in general is subjective preference and may not suit some people.

Of course, everything depending on ear canal physiology is highly subjective: It is a second layer of subjectivity, beyond personal tastes.
In my case, it is too much. Just to have a reference for my idea of 'neutrality', or natural sound in the pinna gain region: I just listen to Pavarotti voice as recorded by Decca; One of the greatest voices of all times, a sort of universal reference for 'beauty', rich of overtones and with a wonderful timbre, recorded by one of the greatest recording companies of all time in its golden age, with reference uncolored mics and without any post processing (no EQ, no compression, no nothing). I find his voice perfect for judging "naturalness" or "neutrality" in the ear gain region. This test gives me a certain confidence that I'm not fooled, at least, by poor/questionable voices, poor microphones, poor room acoustics, poor mixes, poor mastering. If his voice sounds metallic and nasal (with that typical 2k ringing, see AKG K702) I'm inclined to believe that the ear gain of the trasducer is too much for my personal, individual perception and ear structure. Of course,my ears are not yours and IMHO YMMV. Do the same test if you want, and let me know.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #61,583 of 64,281
Of course, everything depending on ear canal physiology is highly subjective: It is a second layer of subjectivity, beyond personal tastes.
In my case, it is too much. Just to have a reference for my idea of 'neutrality', or natural sound in the pinna gain region: I just listen to Pavarotti voice as recorded by Decca; One of the greatest voices of all times, a sort of universal reference for 'beauty', rich of overtones and with a wonderful timbre, recorded by one of the greatest recording companies of all time in its golden age, with reference uncolored mics and without any post processing (no EQ, no compression, no nothing). I find his voice perfect for judging "naturalness" or "neutrality" in the ear gain region. This test gives me a certain confidence that I'm not fooled, at least, by poor/questionable voices, poor microphones, poor room acoustics, poor mixes, poor mastering. If his voice sounds metallic and nasal (with that typical 2k ringing, see AKG K702) I'm inclined to believe that the ear gain of the trasducer is too much for my personal, individual perception and ear structure. Of course,my ears are not yours and IMHO YMMV. Do the same test if you want, and let me know.
That's the point, there are many dependencies to make an objective blank statement, especially about an iem with seemingly high unit variance. There's no way for me to know how your set sounds to you when listening to Pavarotti. I can only comment on my set and my subjective perspective, and for my acoustic library the PR2 is a good match.

May 20, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #61,584 of 64,281
That's the point, there are many dependencies to make an objective blank statement, especially about an iem with seemingly high unit variance. There's no way for me to know how your set sounds to you when listening to Pavarotti. I can only comment on my set and my subjective perspective, and for my acoustic library the PR2 is a good match.
I agree with all of the above, but that was not my point anyway. No problem, maybe I'm not able to explain what I mean, but it is not important. If you have no doubt that you enjoy your PR2, that's fine, it is a tool to enjoy music.

May 20, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #61,586 of 64,281
I ordered from KZTWS a couple days ago when they re-activated the discount and my pair shipped the next day. I waffled over canceling my AE order and of course I got a shipping notice for it today. :laughing: Guess I will have two pairs. Will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two pairs.

May 21, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #61,587 of 64,281
In my opinion musicology professors should choose their earphones better.

This presence region don't bother in my case

IMG_20230521_062140.jpg

May 21, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #61,588 of 64,281
For me those peaks are where it should be
Screenshot_2023-05-21-07-20-16-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-21-07-20-30-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-21-07-20-47-94_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-05-21-07-21-02-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Worst scenario is QC difference:
Screenshot_2023-05-21-07-21-36-68_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

May 21, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #61,589 of 64,281
I've briefly tested putting another layer of 500 mesh (4.2mm diameter) on the Pr2 and it changes the character a bit giving it a mid bassier tilt closer to the PR1 pro, some sheen still remains though. Bass wise it starts to lose some texture though overally i do prefer this over the leaner stock presentation.

Historically the 500 mesh mod works to reduce the pinna gain area so @agawa this could work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back