Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 2, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #62,311 of 63,947
I have not heard the Chu 2, I didn't really like the original Chu, I found it a bit boring. I don't find the Krila to be harsh in the treble and the bass is certainly prominent enough for me. I also found the Krila to be tip sensitive so it might be useful to do a bit of tip rolling. YMMV of course, as usual.
Yeah I usually do. Normally use Whizzer or Spinfit but I recently also bought a box with various tips (bass, vocal, balanced) from Fiio.
I really think it is low on bass even though I am not a basshead. I have all the switches to the on position but still find the Chu 2 more enjoyable. Also never heard the original Chu. I also think the Chu 2 sounds better than most KZ IEM’s except for the PR1, DQ6 and the ZEX Pro.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #62,312 of 63,947
I have the KZ Krila and the Moondrop Chu 2 and I find the Chu 2 better sounding and overall more enjoying. I think the treble on the Krila is to harsh and the bass is to recessed. The Chu 2 doesn’t have these issues.
I have the switches in UUUD configuration. This gives a 3db bass boost and skirts the 1.5db treble reduction, as per this chart:

1691020504248.png

The Krila is my first BA IEM of any kind - in fact the sole reason I bought them was to hear BA treble - and while I can hear the BA sound signature, I don't think the treble is too harsh, even with that switch turned off.

EDIT: For clarity because I confused myself.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #62,313 of 63,947
I have the switches in UUUD configuration. This gives a 3db bass boost and skirts the 1.5db treble reduction, as per this chart:

1691020504248.png

The Krila is my first BA IEM of any kind - in fact the sole reason I bought them was to hear BA treble - and while I can hear the BA sound signature, I don't think the treble is too harsh, even with that switch turned off.

EDIT: For clarity because I confused myself.

The last switch did nothing

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #62,314 of 63,947
Aug 4, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #62,316 of 63,947
The Krila really scales well. I'm currently using my Hidizs AP80 Pro X via line out with a Fiio cable to my Fiio A5 with a TRN silver plated copper cable. There is more authority in the bass and a clean, smooth treble. This is with switch setting 1110. The sound is now more musical yet retains the technical abilities as well.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #62,318 of 63,947
been gone and away for so long after I got my endgame IEM...
my favorites still CCA CA16 and KBear Berrylium in the lower and mid tier...

anything that blew past these two?

Aug 6, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #62,319 of 63,947
The new AZ20 Earhooks look great. Qualcomm Lossless BT 5.3.
I wish they went with a standard 2-Pin though. I can't use my best IEMs with that recessed connector.
I hope they release a standard version at some point, because I can't find other earhooks with specs like this.

No LDAC? They're nearly the same price as the Fiio UTW5. I'm not very knowledgeable about the specs, but what is good about the AZ20?

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #62,320 of 63,947
No LDAC? They're nearly the same price as the Fiio UTW5. I'm not very knowledgeable about the specs, but what is good about the AZ20?
Newest Qualcomm Bluetooth chip
Should be capable for LDAC but possibly some licensing issues with KZs.

uniquely it have programmable DSP in it. Tough whether KZ decided to build app for it, is still a question

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #62,321 of 63,947

Driver count wars backed off a bit after KZ "scandal". Planars are definitely worth checking out, some of the best bang for the buck. Truthear, Tangzu and 7Hz made big entries into the budget market. Double DD and banks of switches seem to be FOTM. Beryllium is less popular and more DDs are using LCP or composites. Cheap BAs seem to be improving as well. Just read back a couple of hundred pages!:ksc75smile:

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #62,322 of 63,947
Driver count wars backed off a bit after KZ "scandal". Planars are definitely worth checking out, some of the best bang for the buck. Truthear, Tangzu and 7Hz made big entries into the budget market. Double DD and banks of switches seem to be FOTM. Beryllium is less popular and more DDs are using LCP or composites. Cheap BAs seem to be improving as well. Just read back a couple of hundred pages!:ksc75smile:

Found my end game with Aure Elixir and stopped buying IEMs lol... worth every single penny...
Trying to get a shortcut, since I will be in charge of getting very good IEM for our musical team.

Any recommendations, great neutral IEM, preferably W-shaped sounds that do not break the budget, possibly low tier but mid to high-tier killer.

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #62,323 of 63,947

+1 for the KBEAR!

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #62,324 of 63,947
Aug 6, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #62,325 of 63,947
@Nimweth how are you doing my friend... lol it's been such a long time... I was surprised, nothing much going on with KBear anymore
Fine, thanks for asking. I am still active, and have been writing some reviews on Audiosolace. My latest ones are Fiio FD11 and FH11. Recently bought the Krila, very pleased with this, but no idea if it challenges $1000 IEMs! My most expensive is the KBear Believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back