Koss Portapro Thread
Oct 16, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 1,313
Good one dude! So the seller's making... like .... $2??? LOL!
orphsmile.gif

[Edit] Admittedly, I was just trying to joke around with this post. Hope Krames isn't offended by it.

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #32 of 1,313
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Try the Radio Shack pad mod... it puts some distance between your ears and the driver, reducing the bass. You can safely turn the volume up a little bit and enjoy clearer treble and midrange.

Which Radio Shack pad mod??

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #33 of 1,313
Get the regular-sized foam pads from The Source (Radio Shack) and stretch them to fit the Sportapros. The stretching will cause the contact patch to create a bowl, since the outside edge of the Sportapro driver is too big for them. They are still comfy and I have noticed a significant difference in the sound quality.

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #34 of 1,313
The most excellent Portapro2 (top, right)...

port1.jpg

Now are those ugly? I think they are retro, but attractive... goes well with a retro Discman
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #35 of 1,313
My first hi-fi aware purchase was the portapro, and I've been smiling ever since. I've never encountered such great sound(stage) at this price range. Yes, I've since moved to Grado-60, and now the portapro sounds a little muddy in comparison. But as others have mentioned, that soundstage still isn't beat. IMO, portapros are perfect for decently ripped (around 198) MP3 tracks. You've lost some detail, but the portas usually don't notice anyway. And yet you still get that great warm sound. Just a great can.

On another note, I've worn them so much that I may have damaged them. One of the pads popped off and I have to put it back on periodically. Also there is a slight rattle on some bass notes that wasn't there before. Anyone else experience this?

Oct 16, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #36 of 1,313
These were also my first set of "real" headphones (note the nick, heh). I bought them about four years ago when the Fry's stores decided to markdown their stock of Koss phones. They were going for $19.99 and I decided to buy it on a whim. Coming from Sony street-styles and generic headphones, these were such a step up! In fact, I really began to enjoy my music more because of these headphones.

A couple weeks later, I went to Fry's again and they had put all their Koss stock in a cart. The Portapros were marked down to $9.99 and there was an open-box pair of Sportapros that was priced at $1.99! I went ahead and picked up the Sportapros and a couple of spare Portapros.

I'm still on my first set of Portapros (until the HF-1's are open for sale again), and just recently, the foam pads began to come apart. The Sportapros are my daily use cans with my iPod since I got them.

Oct 29, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #38 of 1,313
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
amped koss pp is even better
so impressive
rolleyes.gif

IMO the Portapro is, in fact, impressive. You'd never expect a pair of cans about the size/shape of typical stock/free headphones to sound this good. I think the only competitor in its class is the Senn PX-100, and Portapro was there first.

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #39 of 1,313
Quote:

Originally Posted by malthis
Also there is a slight rattle on some bass notes that wasn't there before. Anyone else experience this?

Often it's usually a small piece of hair that made its way onto the driver's surface. Remove the pad, pop the cover plate off and blow out anything that may be there. If you still get the rattle, then ........... I may have solved the mystery. I have some beat to hell KSC35's. Worn in is an understatement. The drivers were actually hitting the cover plate on strong bass notes causing some vibration sounds. I took a sharp exacto knife and trimmed the inside plastic to fix the problem. I took pictures and everything but I'm just too damn busy to post them up. Maybe in a month or so I'll make a thread showing my mod.

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #40 of 1,313
an update on my Porta Pro, after passing the 48 hours burn-in mark.

impact! they finally have some kick. the highs have really come around, which is great. it helps to give it a better balance. the bass got a tiny bit more refined, but still feels a little "large". the mids still sound more recessed than I'd like(which results in a lacking performance in deeper male vocals I find), but I'm really happy with the Porta Pro now.

almost everyone with a pair complains about losing a few hairs, but seriously - use a strip of tape to hold the already adjusted size in place. it might not be effective if you fold yours up to put inside the travel bag, but I just have it around my neck anyway.

I think I'll pick up some extra pads and make the holes in the middle.

Oct 31, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #41 of 1,313
Fewtch, I hear you talking about these mods to your PortaPro's, What are they? I hear you talking about the earpads and a 75ohm mod. Could you please tell me exactly how to do these mods? I have some PortaPro's coming via UPS tomorrow,"which should have been here Friday"!darn-it! Anyhow I was recommended to these cans as they suppose to work well with the PA2v2 which I just bought and received this Wed. the amp works "o.k." with my Shure E2c's but as you stated I guess the PortaPro's really come alive with this amp. - Thanks - Sushi

Oct 31, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #42 of 1,313
Sorry, I didn't read the 2nd page of this thread, I was asking a question that was kinda already answered, as far as the earpad mod goes I guess you put a 1/4 in. hole in the center right? Now someone has to explain the 75ohm. mod. Thanks - Sushi

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #43 of 1,313
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushimoto
Sorry, I didn't read the 2nd page of this thread, I was asking a question that was kinda already answered, as far as the earpad mod goes I guess you put a 1/4 in. hole in the center right? Now someone has to explain the 75ohm. mod. Thanks - Sushi

The 75 ohm "mod" isn't really a mod... it's just using an adapter with 75 ohm resistor on each channel, to increase impedance of the headphone. Supposedly, this reduces bass and makes the frequency spectrum more even, but of course you'd want to amp the phones if you do this.

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #44 of 1,313
Thanks Fewtch, on the advice - where do I get an 75ohm adapter? - Sushi

Nov 1, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #45 of 1,313
As I'm writing this I am listening to the PortaPro's with my PA2v2, and I have to say they go nicely together which Gary at Electric Avenues said they would - Thanks Gary. Well I have to say the PP's are bass heavy but with a little adjusting with the equalizer on my DAP I am able to pull some of that bass out, while still being able to keep the mid's and highs comfortable. I'm sure with a little burn in time they might even sound better "so I've read", overall I'm pretty impressed for the price they are definately worth it. I'm sure I'll enjoy playing with these for awhile. I can definately see this is going to be a long "and expensive" road of a few different amps and phones, but what the heck as long as your having fun right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back