Koss Portapro Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #601 of 1,313
  Here is a question: do the red, black, and white editions come with volume control? Kind of a big deal since those cables tend to break very quickly.

I am talking about these editions:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005I4987E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

No Volume control. Only the KTC version has volume control and mic while the iPortapro have a mic and no volume control.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #604 of 1,313
Someone goofed.  Did you complain to Koss?

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #606 of 1,313
I modifyd my Portapro by changing it with the Sennheiser PX200 earpads (at E-bay, 4 for around € 3) and using the quarter mod.

Whow! The highs are much clearer, the bit muffled sound disappeared, and the lows are less bouncier and much more enjoyable. The sound has opened a lot. Koss: your product is really an all time greatest hit, but with a few simple modifications it's even more amazing!   

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #607 of 1,313
Finally found the prefect pair of earpads for sound.

The Ear Zonk - Replacement Grado Headphone S Cushion

Though, for looks... I think the blue version would have better.

Con's
- They will make you look even more crazy wearing them
- They can get a little warm on the ear
- Not able to fold up as well

Pro's
- You will look awesome wearing them
- The distance from the driver is perfect
- They will keep your ears warm in the winter

The best way to put them on is to pop off the driver.

Look, I made a flower!

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #610 of 1,313

Really?  I wore mine through one of Chicago's Coldest winters and did not have any issues.  

Yeah. Maybe that is only my personal experience. But I had 4 Portas, for the last one which I use  I replaced wires from cheap skullcandy iem.
I think maybe not only cold air, but something else make wires like sticks. 
I always wear it on streets.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #613 of 1,313
Yes, out of the box they are quite bass heavy which makes hip hop and r&b sound quite good. Some people find the bass a little boomy but putting a slightly thicker pad on can help to tame it.

Great, which pads do recomend? I read on here that Gardos will work, I find them comfortable. Also, will the PortaPros work well with the Fiio E11K?

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #614 of 1,313
Great, which pads do recomend? I read on here that Gardos will work, I find them comfortable. Also, will the PortaPros work well with the Fiio E11K?

I just bought some cheap, generic 50mm foam pads for them. Grado pads can work as well as sennheiser hd414 or px100/200, it all depends how much you want to spend. They don't really need amping as they sound find out of anything.

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #615 of 1,313
I've had Koss Protapros for years and love them, but I figure some of you guys will have multiple headsets and have a question for you since this seems like the best thread for a relevant answer. I'm thinking of finally delving into the more expensive headsets and am a bit confused about open headsets. I know that Koss Portapros are open, but do they have the same amount of leakage as say Beyerdynamic DT 990's? I currently wear my portapros at work every day and there really is no leakage at the volumes that I listen to my music (I need to be able to hear if someone comes into my cube). Are high-end open headsets similar? From reading around about the leakage I'm worried that these things (DT 990's and similar) will practically be as loud to everyone else as they are to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back