LAiV Harmony R2R DAC Impression and Reviews
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

tassardar

500+ Head-Fier
Notices this local brand selling a full R2R DAC.

LAiV Harmony

0E2A4782.jpg

My initial impression was its pretty good when it comes to soundstage, atmosphere, bass impact. Things just sound bigger and well spread out while having some additional top smoothness that reduces sibilance for me when testing with Austrian Audio Composer.

Will probably be using it for the next few days and do a full review. Done a unboxing and initial impression of this DAC. Only compared it with a M17 but the next time I'll setup my Hugo TT for a proper comparison.

And it's really solid built. I actually kinda like touching it haha.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 87
My initial test with comparison to my TT makes it more of a preference to choice while against portable solutions, the Harmony is an improvement. More listening to be done before I finish up my preview.

But that said I think this is a really well designed product. In the build department I think it looks and feels even more premium then similar priced products

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 87
I just saw this yesterday on a talk with John Darko and Srajan Ebaen. Very interesting. I think the main competitors in this price range would be the Holo Spring and the Denafrips Venus. But for sound Srajan preferes it to the Terminator+. The video was even called "Move over, Denafrips"
I'm curious how this will develop. I really do like the formfactor and design. Not such a fullsize brick.
For me things I dislike or miss are:
Spikes? Really?
No native DSD (but if it sounds better anyways, who cares)
No volume control. Sigh. Hp-pre amp upcoming...

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 87
I think this one will require LAiV to reply. Let me see if he got a response

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 87
Also just heard about this on the Darko pc. Intruiged. Obviously twice the price of a Cyan2, so, as already mentioned, more in the ballpark of a Spring, but with a smaller form factor (which would be the decisive factor). Hopefully someone will make that comparison.

Sadly, the look (gold spikes!?) is actually more of a turn-off for me…

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 87
I will likely be able to compare to a cyan 2 in 2 weeks time but if it’s say versus a Hugo TT, it has a tighter bass, a touch less depth, it is more mellow, alittle warmer, bigger sounding, smoother in the mids and the highs but less immediate.

I only have R2R dongles and it’s definitely better than those, mainly in sound stage and overall smoothness and control.

Don’t think it answers anyone question if compared to a denafrips or holo audio, both of which I’ll probably get access in 2-3 weeks time.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 87
I am a bit unclear, is this a new offshoot brand from Vinshine made in the Denafrips factory?
Highly unlikely. Totally different approach and production methods.

Also just heard about this on the Darko pc. Intruiged. Obviously twice the price of a Cyan2, so, as already mentioned, more in the ballpark of a Spring, but with a smaller form factor (which would be the decisive factor). Hopefully someone will make that comparison.

Sadly, the look (gold spikes!?) is actually more of a turn-off for me…
Srajan already reviewed it and according to him it's far better than that. He compares it to his Cen.Grand DSDAC, Sonnet Pasithea and the Terminator+.
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/laiv-audio-harmony-dac/

I agree on the spike feet. I hope they are detachable. Not so much for the gold color as the risk of damage to my unique (Einzelstück, dh mein Meisterstück) rack. Also the added height is not convenient.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 87
I just saw this yesterday on a talk with John Darko and Srajan Ebaen. Very interesting. I think the main competitors in this price range would be the Holo Spring and the Denafrips Venus. But for sound Srajan preferes it to the Terminator+. The video was even called "Move over, Denafrips"
I'm curious how this will develop. I really do like the formfactor and design. Not such a fullsize brick.
For me things I dislike or miss are:
Spikes? Really?
No native DSD (but if it sounds better anyways, who cares)
No volume control. Sigh. Hp-pre amp upcoming...

Hi ]eep, this is Weng Fai from LAIV. Thank you for your interest in Harmony DAC. The spikes are detachable!! :blush:

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 87
Hi ]eep, this is Weng Fai from LAIV. Thank you for your interest in Harmony DAC. The spikes are detachable!! :blush:
Hi there. Thanks a lot for checking in here! So instead of the gold spikes, would there be another option supplied or would I basically need to put sth else below? It would most likely sit on my US5 so definitely needed to be 100% scratch/dent free to the surface below.

Also, what’s the dimensions with and without feet?

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 87
Hi there. Thanks a lot for checking in here! So instead of the gold spikes, would there be another option supplied or would I basically need to put sth else below? It would most likely sit on my US5 so definitely needed to be 100% scratch/dent free to the surface below.

Also, what’s the dimensions with and without feet?
435074_0f6806ba07404684bf019756f8e637c2~mv2.png

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 87
This DAC along its upcoming headamp is on top of my wish list. I've been too disoriented with portable audio, time to focus on something longer lasting.
Ie: time to settle down. Not always on the move but sit down and listen. A very good idea. In fact the only way to really enjoy and appreciate music. Not to mention that in traffic it's dangerous to shut yourself off and be distracted. Only on the commute it's a nice passtime (imho).

Yup, I wonder what price range the pre/hp-amp is going to be. And if it has 2x3.5mm 12V triggers. Because I already have 2 power amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back