LAiV Harmony R2R DAC Impression and Reviews
May 1, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #76 of 82
One reviewer says detailed and exciting, another says warm and laid-back...
One does not exclude the other. As tassardar says: it depends on what you compare it with. An R2R sounds more natural than most sigma deltas artificial detail. Compared to Denafrips it's more lively and detailed because the Denafrips are more rounded and warm (I disagree with slow). Compared to Chord is laid back. You need to consider the frame of reference the reviewers are using.

I found r2r to sound more like how I hear acoustic live music while my SD DACs sound overly detailed and fast. I like to compare it with photoshop 'unsharp mask' filter. Overshoot of edges like from dark color to black to white to light color. That is why pinstripe shirts on video can flicker on a screen when there is movement. The way to remedy this is to put the 'sharpen' on zero. Way more natural and no flickering. That's not lack of detail because the amount of real information is the same for both. You can't invent information that was not recorded with an algorithm. You might say 'what about enhance with AI'. Yes, but you need lots more computing power for that plus the results are not real. Just like deepfake videos. If you want to fool yourself into thinking it's real thats your choice for the blue pill. Enjoy your juicy steak.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #77 of 82
@GoldenSound will you be publishing a review on this unit or will it hit Patreon first with measurements etc?

May 1, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #78 of 82
@GoldenSound will you be publishing a review on this unit or will it hit Patreon first with measurements etc?
I will have a review up yep. It'll be on patreon first then youtube a few weeks later

May 1, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #79 of 82
One does not exclude the other. As tassardar says: it depends on what you compare it with. An R2R sounds more natural than most sigma deltas artificial detail. Compared to Denafrips it's more lively and detailed because the Denafrips are more rounded and warm (I disagree with slow). Compared to Chord is laid back. You need to consider the frame of reference the reviewers are using.

I found r2r to sound more like how I hear acoustic live music while my SD DACs sound overly detailed and fast. I like to compare it with photoshop 'unsharp mask' filter. Overshoot of edges like from dark color to black to white to light color. That is why pinstripe shirts on video can flicker on a screen when there is movement. The way to remedy this is to put the 'sharpen' on zero. Way more natural and no flickering. That's not lack of detail because the amount of real information is the same for both. You can't invent information that was not recorded with an algorithm. You might say 'what about enhance with AI'. Yes, but you need lots more computing power for that plus the results are not real. Just like deepfake videos. If you want to fool yourself into thinking it's real thats your choice for the blue pill. Enjoy your juicy steak.
Interesting thoughts, I agree generally with what you say.

May 2, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #80 of 82
Interesting thoughts, I agree generally with what you say.
Tnx. It's after years of hunting for 'detail' I bought a cheap Chinese tda1543 dac after reading that's what 47labs and Audio Note used (both highly regarded by me) and stepping in to a free acoustic concert in our local 12th century church I that had an epiphany. The €45 tda1543 dac sounded a lot more like that that my super tweaked tube sigma delta dac. I found out it was all in the timing and by using NOS, no pre-echo.

I still have 2 TDA based DACs (with my own mods to the output stage). They can do 24-96 but I noticed a bit less low level resolution. That's why I upgraded to a Denafrips Ares discrete R2R. Upgraded in some regards, but it doesn't have the same 'bite' that I hear in old vinyl records.

Vinyl has always been my medium of choice as it always sounded better. If you hear how super realistic an old 50-60-ies mono record can sound like you wonder why we ever went to stereo. Or digital. That's what I hope to achieve with this dac. Or at least get closer to it. The Ares can't. Clearly not.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #81 of 82
Tnx. It's after years of hunting for 'detail' I bought a cheap Chinese tda1543 dac after reading that's what 47labs and Audio Note used (both highly regarded by me) and stepping in to a free acoustic concert in our local 12th century church I that had an epiphany. The €45 tda1543 dac sounded a lot more like that that my super tweaked tube sigma delta dac. I found out it was all in the timing and by using NOS, no pre-echo.

I still have 2 TDA based DACs (with my own mods to the output stage). They can do 24-96 but I noticed a bit less low level resolution. That's why I upgraded to a Denafrips Ares discrete R2R. Upgraded in some regards, but it doesn't have the same 'bite' that I hear in old vinyl records.

Vinyl has always been my medium of choice as it always sounded better. If you hear how super realistic an old 50-60-ies mono record can sound like you wonder why we ever went to stereo. Or digital. That's what I hope to achieve with this dac. Or at least get closer to it. The Ares can't. Clearly not.
This is why I use slow filter on my current DS for the ideal impulse response (within limitations) and I'm most likely going to bite the bullet with this DAC over the Cyan 2 because I can't be bothered to OS on the computer side (I've experienced tonality differences with 44.1 FLAC's over 96/192 that I just can't ignore anymore with early roll-off in NOS). My old roommate took my TT so i'll be getting a carbon evo and pro-ject tube phono stage :) Any cartridge recs?

May 2, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #82 of 82
I am sorry for the delayed response as I just returned from a Hifi show in Malaysia.

Thank you all for sharing the concern about taxation, I appreciate all bringing this to my attention. I apologize for any confusion caused by the information on our website. We're currently working to clarify this with all our reviewers. In the meantime, you can find more information about taxes in our shopping help section:

https://www.laiv.audio/shopping-help

Currently, we are shipping your order directly by air via FedEx to your country and we incorporate all import duties, taxes, and VAT into the total price displayed at checkout, designated as 'Tax'. It follows the VAT % for each of the countries in the EU rather than the same for all. We're in the process of setting up a fulfilment centre in Europe to simplify your shopping experience. This will include handling customs clearance, import duties, taxes, and VAT, ensuring hassle-free delivery for EU customers. However, please note that taxes like VAT are still required to be paid to your country's government. Therefore, the price with VAT included will still be higher than $2,700 even after the fulfilment centre in Europe is operational.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your understanding, and please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.
I was surprised you haven't yet added Canada to your list yet. Please let us know when you do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back