LCD-X and XC Update
May 7, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #2,731 of 2,740
LCD-X and LCD-XC are very peculiar.
I think both can compete against LCD-5 and Utopia (Stellia for sure), sound quality is not far off.
Tuning, is not that good on either, I must admit, but resolution, low distortion and ease of drivability are way above norm.
I just EQ them, that's my only complaint.
But then again, we all have our opinions.

Ah, your talking about them EQ-ed.

May 7, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,732 of 2,740
LCD-X and LCD-XC are very peculiar.
I think both can compete against LCD-5 and Utopia (Stellia for sure), sound quality is not far off.
Tuning, is not that good on either, I must admit, but resolution, low distortion and ease of drivability are way above norm.
I just EQ them, that's my only complaint.
But then again, we all have our opinions.

I own the XC, used to own the X, and own the 5. The X and XC don't compete against the 5. They're great headphones, don't get me wrong. The XC is still my favorite closedback. But, the 5 is at a whole other level, especially in resolution, imaging, and separation.

May 7, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #2,733 of 2,740
I own the XC, used to own the X, and own the 5. The X and XC don't compete against the 5. They're great headphones, don't get me wrong. The XC is still my favorite closedback. But, the 5 is at a whole other level, especially in resolution, imaging, and separation.
LCD-5 is really good, but is it three times better?
costs three times though!
Ah, your talking about them EQ-ed.
Yes.
EQ is necessary evil with headphones. Mild smooth EQ, does not bother me.
I don't like EQ, but , so far, all needed it. All Focal, Audeze, hifiman etc. included.

May 7, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,734 of 2,740

Yes.
EQ is necessary evil with headphones. Mild smooth EQ, does not bother me.
I don't like EQ, but , so far, all needed it. All Focal, Audeze, hifiman etc. included.

EQ has its place but I like to judge them by the way they sound by themselves. If they respond well to EQ, that's excellent. But comparing headphones after EQ is getting really complex

May 7, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #2,735 of 2,740

Explain how to objectively quantify my listening experience and I'll get back to you.

May 7, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #2,736 of 2,740
Explain how to objectively quantify my listening experience and I'll get back to you.
If money was no object, LCD-5 would be my first choice.
But since I am not rich, LCD-XC will have to do. :gs1000smile:
I have to compromise.

May 7, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #2,737 of 2,740
If money was no object, LCD-5 would be my first choice.
But since I am not rich, LCD-XC will have to do. :gs1000smile:
I have to compromise.

If I could only pick one, it would be the XC, not the 5.

Taking price out of it entirely, the XC is just much easier to drive, more comfortable, more isolating, much easier to listen to in the background, and far, far less prone to making me worry about it getting damaged in transit.

May 7, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #2,738 of 2,740
As you can see in my sign.

Clear had very WOW signature. I loved it mids and overall energy. Their build quality was "bad" for me, because pads got grey after one week from my oily head.
And dont get me started on driver excursion. That was the main reason why I sold it. I had to keep eye on volume, keep eye what I listen to as I love lot of bass song, or hell even some soundtrack songs triggered the bass excursion out of "cage". I had them for 1 week, 3-6 hours per day.

Audeze LCD X are hella lot more laid back, build like a tank. Very neutral sounding. I had to EQ them, because I like more energetic sound.
I still cant understand how they did NOT disort. I got them +15db bass shelf, closed my eyes, squeeze my teeth, turn the volume up, body was shaking, yet X retained clean (really) subwoofer bass. What. This was just experiment, I listened normally them at normal volume and like 9db bass shelf to have that hefty bass, defined at normal volumes.
I had them for 3 years, 6-12 hours per day!!!
Recently sold them for IEM Monarch MK3, because I wanted some change and I couldnt had 2 different headphones because big prize (for me).

Sign says it all anyway. gg

May 7, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #2,739 of 2,740
As you can see in my sign.

Clear had very WOW signature. I loved it mids and overall energy. Their build quality was "bad" for me, because pads got grey after one week from my oily head.
And dont get me started on driver excursion. That was the main reason why I sold it. I had to keep eye on volume, keep eye what I listen to as I love lot of bass song, or hell even some soundtrack songs triggered the bass excursion out of "cage". I had them for 1 week, 3-6 hours per day.

Audeze LCD X are hella lot more laid back, build like a tank. Very neutral sounding. I had to EQ them, because I like more energetic sound.
I still cant understand how they did NOT disort. I got them +15db bass shelf, closed my eyes, squeeze my teeth, turn the volume up, body was shaking, yet X retained clean (really) subwoofer bass. What. This was just experiment, I listened normally them at normal volume and like 9db bass shelf to have that hefty bass, defined at normal volumes.
I had them for 3 years, 6-12 hours per day!!!
Recently sold them for IEM Monarch MK3, because I wanted some change and I couldnt had 2 different headphones because big prize (for me).

Sign says it all anyway. gg

+15 dB bass shelf 😂

May 7, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #2,740 of 2,740
If I could only pick one, it would be the XC, not the 5.

Taking price out of it entirely, the XC is just much easier to drive, more comfortable, more isolating, much easier to listen to in the background, and far, far less prone to making me worry about it getting damaged in transit.
For a closed back, the XC is fantastic, sure it needs EQ, but fantastic.
LCD-5 is open back! so not the same thing. It is lighter, and my ears won't sweat as quickly. It needs a lot less EQ, and is very smooth.
I have mentioned this before, I have done a very simple mod, that improves XC lower bass by as much as 6dB without penalty or EQ.
This makes EQing the treble with just a simple tone control, such as the one on Mojo2. Also, you could then just use a mobile phone to drive them, if you ever wanted to.
You can find it, here or there if you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back