LCD-X vs HE1000se
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

martel80

100+ Head-Fier
I hope I won’t be steering up a can of worm here.

Im sincerely interested in both but have read awkward review on both sides.

I use my cans for critical listening (audio engineering) and want to upgrade from my Ananda Nano. Love them very much but they are sterile and could use a bit more meat and details where it really count. Nano users might understand the analogy. I also EQ my cans. My target is the Sonarwork after measurement and therefore, calibration. Nothing against people that love the consumer Harman curve but that’s not my cup of tea.

Heard that the 1000se has a very large sound stage. I’ve used the HD800 in the past and its exaggerated and it’s width didn’t work for me.

On the other hand, I’ve read that the lcd-x is more mid forward then the HE1000se. I love myself some ATC mids but some NDH30 mids representation is just over the top to me so I’m wondering if we’re talking about a very small margin here or it’s really all the way up in your face in comparison.

Also, there’s an article from Audeze that clearly state that they dont suggest for people to get heir cans EQd. That in itself is scary to me as it could mean a lot of very bad thing about their technology. ( see here ).

Anyone EQing them with Sonarwork ?

So my real question is, how’s the transient response difference on both ? Also, what are the main subjective frequency response balance between both ?

I’ve read that the 1000se is less bass forward then the stealth version but how does it compare to the lcd-x ?

I’m a bass head and love to crank it up when drunk but can’t work with v-shape cans. So it’s no use to me to have a bass boost. I’m looking for details over quantity on every aspect .

Thanks for chiming in.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 21
I want to chime in as a fellow audio engineer and having owned the HE1000 stealth in the past, with the HE1000SE on the way, which I can update after spending some time with. Haven't heard the LCD-X so apologies.

If details and critical listening is what you are searching for, I think it's hard to top the HE1000 for the price, especially current prices.

It's the Hifiman "house sound", so neutral bright, slightly recessed mids. I think the stock sound is reference-like and would still be relatively "sterile" compared to other house sounds.

Ironically all this talk of "neutral bright" is kind of an oxymoron if you're in pro audio. They are bright - at least the Stealth is out of the box, a bit sibilant for modern mixed music (pop, hiphop).

Once EQ'd however, just awesome to listen to...

As for using them for mixing/mastering work, they can be an awesome tool. Soundstage is nice and wide, micro details and separation/layering/imaging is pretty effortless which comes in handy.

At the end of the day, you probably know this but it comes down to truly knowing how your gear translates, regardless of if it is perfectly flat or slightly colored.

Anyways, I'm more of a studio monitors guy myself when it comes to work, but these hifi headphones can serve a purpose.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 21
I want to chime in as a fellow audio engineer and having owned the HE1000 stealth in the past, with the HE1000SE on the way, which I can update after spending some time with. Haven't heard the LCD-X so apologies.

If details and critical listening is what you are searching for, I think it's hard to top the HE1000 for the price, especially current prices.

It's the Hifiman "house sound", so neutral bright, slightly recessed mids. I think the stock sound is reference-like and would still be relatively "sterile" compared to other house sounds.

Ironically all this talk of "neutral bright" is kind of an oxymoron if you're in pro audio. They are bright - at least the Stealth is out of the box, a bit sibilant for modern mixed music (pop, hiphop).

Once EQ'd however, just awesome to listen to...

As for using them for mixing/mastering work, they can be an awesome tool. Soundstage is nice and wide, micro details and separation/layering/imaging is pretty effortless which comes in handy.

At the end of the day, you probably know this but it comes down to truly knowing how your gear translates, regardless of if it is perfectly flat or slightly colored.

Anyways, I'm more of a studio monitors guy myself when it comes to work, but these hifi headphones can serve a purpose.
Thanks for the detailed answer. You covered most ground I’m after. I’m also a studio monitors guy and love my Lipinski L-707 dearly. The reason I’m after some new cans is that I’m travelling 6 months every year and need some reference tool to get my contract done. My Nanos serve me well and don’t feel ( or have never been told I’m out of the box) but I think there might be something better out there and would love to be able to simply get something better just like when I stepped up from my APS aeon 2 to my lipinski. I think the comparison might be over the top but my point is that I don’t want to go into a completely different type of flavor (ie ATC upfront midrange vs more “v shaped” monitors) but also don’t want to start from scratch with cans that give me 270 degrees of panning.

As I said before , the “wide soundstage” is really scaring the crap out of me when people talk about the HE1000se. I don’t want to end up having my mixes sound tight. The nanos are really giving me a (maximum) 90 degrees width and that’s plenty enough for me to place gage my soundstage .

On the other hand, I don’t want to buy a set of lcd-x and realizing this is just another all up in your face type of cans. If that make any sense ….

Edit: I see you also own the HE6se v2 which I’m also very interested in. How do they compare with the HE1000 stealth ? Better or worst tool for mixing ? How about mastering ?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 21
As I said before , the “wide soundstage” is really scaring the crap out of me when people talk about the HE1000se. I don’t want to end up having my mixes sound tight.

I'm very glad I can help! So as for the soundstage, I have heard some artificially wide ones, I like to think the HE1000 Stealth soundstage is just the right amount, it's like properly spacious but not exaggerated. I'll have to update you after receiving the SE and see if there's any difference.

I'll say this... and maybe this is just pride speaking :o2smile: but if I get enough time with the HE1000SE or Stealth, I'm fairly confident I could mix/master with them exclusively.

I used to be a headphone skeptic b/c of pro audio, but it's because I never had headphones like these before :sweat_smile:

(Just the typical ATH m50x / MDR 7506 for tracking vocals lol)

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 21
I'm very glad I can help! So as for the soundstage, I have heard some artificially wide ones, I like to think the HE1000 Stealth soundstage is just the right amount, it's like properly spacious but not exaggerated. I'll have to update you after receiving the SE and see if there's any difference.

I'll say this... and maybe this is just pride speaking :o2smile: but if I get enough time with the HE1000SE or Stealth, I'm fairly confident I could mix/master with them exclusively.

I used to be a headphone skeptic b/c of pro audio, but it's because I never had headphones like these before :sweat_smile:

(Just the typical ATH m50x / MDR 7506 for tracking vocals lol)
Funny enough, I was able to have “some” work done with the Sony 7506 back in the days.

I’m currently getting some job done exclusively on the Ananda Nanos so I’m confident I could use the HE1000se or LCD-X without any big surprise but I’m just tired of starting from scratch and trying to get some sense of knowledge about my cans or speakers . I’m just hoping to get a set for the next 3-4 years and be done with the subject. The journey is cool as I love researching and having conversations about my devices but I’d also love to put some quality time elsewhere and just focus on the job that need to be done.

How’s the HE6 se v2 vs your HE1000 stealth ?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 21
Haha, those Sonys are a studio staple for a reason! I guess my jab is moreso aimed at the m50x 😂

Ahhh, that is what I love about pro audio, there is a practical aspect. I fear audiophile hobby is just an excuse for me to burn a hole in my wallet, like most other hobbies.

Yeah I was going to add that if the Ananda Nano (which funny enough I'm very interested in as well) is getting the job done already, then the HE1000SE can only make your life that much easier, and get the job done sooner with more confidence what you're hearing is true.

As for the HE6se v2, stock sound signature is way more enjoyable/charming compared to HE1k stealth when it comes to simply listening/enjoying to music.

I haven't heard the original HE6 but I understand why it's endgame, and would actually complement something like an HE1k or I'm guessing Susvara quite nicely.

In this sense, the HE1k is boring. That's why I like to EQ in to fill in the mids, add some dynamics, and then tame the sibilance in the treble.

Oh yeah I wanted to mention since you are a basshead, the bass on the Stealth is incredible.

Most headphone bass I've heard just has impact, but notes seem to decay too quickly and there isn't much "information" on bass notes, 808s, bass synths.

The bass texture and information on the Stealth is fantastic, best thing I've heard in a headphone, I guess that's why I like these - maybe because they kinda resemble listening to speakers 🤣

I actually EQ down the sub-bass on the Stealth just to have an ultra clean low end with tons of punch from the added Mid bass / mids I like to EQ in.

So now I'm curious if the bass on the SE will suffice compared to the Stealth...

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 21
Haha, those Sonys are a studio staple for a reason! I guess my jab is moreso aimed at the m50x 😂

Ahhh, that is what I love about pro audio, there is a practical aspect. I fear audiophile hobby is just an excuse for me to burn a hole in my wallet, like most other hobbies.

Yeah I was going to add that if the Ananda Nano (which funny enough I'm very interested in as well) is getting the job done already, then the HE1000SE can only make your life that much easier, and get the job done sooner with more confidence what you're hearing is true.

As for the HE6se v2, stock sound signature is way more enjoyable/charming compared to HE1k stealth when it comes to simply listening/enjoying to music.

I haven't heard the original HE6 but I understand why it's endgame, and would actually complement something like an HE1k or I'm guessing Susvara quite nicely.

In this sense, the HE1k is boring. That's why I like to EQ in to fill in the mids, add some dynamics, and then tame the sibilance in the treble.

Oh yeah I wanted to mention since you are a basshead, the bass on the Stealth is incredible.

Most headphone bass I've heard just has impact, but notes seem to decay too quickly and there isn't much "information" on bass notes, 808s, bass synths.

The bass texture and information on the Stealth is fantastic, best thing I've heard in a headphone, I guess that's why I like these - maybe because they kinda resemble listening to speakers 🤣

I actually EQ down the sub-bass on the Stealth just to have an ultra clean low end with tons of punch from the added Mid bass / mids I like to EQ in.

So now I'm curious if the bass on the SE will suffice compared to the Stealth...
Waow !! Thanks for that.

And when you say the HE6se v2 is more enjoyable, do you mean it’s less detailed ? Would you go as far as saying that the HE1000 stealth is more detailed and has more resolution then the HE6se v2 ?

I mostly mix urban music so over done bass frequencies would really play against me over time.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Waow !! Thanks for that.

And when you say the HE6se v2 is more enjoyable, do you mean it’s less detailed ? Would you go as far as saying that the HE1000 stealth is more detailed and has more resolution then the HE6se v2 ?

I mostly mix urban music so over done bass frequencies would really play against me over time.

Resolution: no question the HE1k Stealth and moreso SE is like 4k video and the He6se v2 is like 1080p (at least on my gear, and those HE6 expose a lot of lesser gear).

But I'd say the enjoyment is more from the stock tuning, although both benefit greatly from EQ.

And one huge advantage to the HE1000 is it takes to EQ gracefully

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 21
Resolution: no question the HE1k Stealth and moreso SE is like 4k video and the He6se v2 is like 1080p (at least on my gear, and those HE6 expose a lot of lesser gear).

But I'd say the enjoyment is more from the stock tuning, although both benefit greatly from EQ.

And one huge advantage to the HE1000 is it takes to EQ gracefully
And so does the nanos. A bit less in the treble range but nothing comparable to any dynamic drivers. When I got them calibrated, I thought to myself , those are taking EQing better than Mía Khalifa take loads .

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 21
😂 yeah expect more of the same on the HE1000, you can pretty much shape it to whatever you like. I'll update you once I've had some listening time with the SE, but the HE1000 Stealth at its current price (or refurbished) is a crazy value.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 21
Also audio engineering here. I will say this...i hated my lcd-x with sonarworks, no matter the percentage of correction. With crossfeed and no eq, it does give the feel of some ATCs without the room sound involved sort of.

Another suggestion I'm going to suggest since you said you are studio monitor guy and have Lipinskis...check out slate vsx. I bought these after my lcd-x. I was skeptical but they totally sound like you are listening to some monitors in a studio. They have ATC, PMC, Genelec, neumann, Kii, Amphion, Dynaudio, etc and other utility listening spaces (clubs, cars, phones, boomboxes) that make it very easy to work when not in a physical studio.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 21
Also audio engineering here. I will say this...i hated my lcd-x with sonarworks, no matter the percentage of correction. With crossfeed and no eq, it does give the feel of some ATCs without the room sound involved sort of.

Another suggestion I'm going to suggest since you said you are studio monitor guy and have Lipinskis...check out slate vsx. I bought these after my lcd-x. I was skeptical but they totally sound like you are listening to some monitors in a studio. They have ATC, PMC, Genelec, neumann, Kii, Amphion, Dynaudio, etc and other utility listening spaces (clubs, cars, phones, boomboxes) that make it very easy to work when not in a physical studio.
Thanks for chiming in.

I do have VSX and the platinum bundle rooms. It doesn't work at all for me. I find all the room very reverberated and cannot get any sense of details or definition in it.

It's sleeping in its package since September and I'm planing on selling it to someone that will use it as it is of absolutely no use to me.

So I think you might have answered my question. I might not be able to work with the LCD-X.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #14 of 21
The lcd-x seems very love hate. I like the stock tuning. The natural tuned in dip is where i dont want a peak, i just have crossfeed and something else on them so the soundstage is correct to my ears where things would be sitting in front of monitors.

Also, if you haven't used your vsx since the 4.0 software update or the 4.5.3 update...i suggest giving them a go before selling. Whatever they did in the rescan of all the rooms...it was massive.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #15 of 21
Also, i saw you are in Montreal. There a lot of mastering studios and tracking studios there. Before committing to a pair of Lcd-X, there has to be someone in that community that owns a pair so you could check em out. Or maybe reach out to some of the Audeze distributors in Canada to see if they could arrange a demo? I love my Lcd-x and the Vsx just do something different for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back