Lets Talk Metal
Aug 2, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #10,756 of 29,693
Quote:

This came on rotation tonight - really great doom band from RVA.  They have a new album coming in September as well!

I'm going to have check these guys out. Sounds fantastic.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #10,759 of 29,693
Quote:
The other band from this split, Cough, are also from Richmond and sound really great too! (no tracks online from the split, but here is the title track off their last album from 2010):

Good stuff, man! I love me some good doom.....one of my favorite genres for sure. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #10,760 of 29,693
Quote:
I'm a fan, but don't have an exhaustive knowledge. When I get into a band, I like getting their classics and some newer stuff.

I own and recommed:

1.  The Angel and the Dark River  from 96 (I just looked at their bio and discography on the Allmusic blog which I've found a good resource for researching bands). They went thru a doom/deth phase-The Angel is when (I think) when they incorporated cleaner vocals-mostly clean singing with a lot of violin...if you are familiar with old Tristania...that's a vague reference point-MDB has just one male vocalist vs the beauty and beast thing...epic doom suites and violin. I kind of like what I consider good doomish goth-it's in that realm. It goes w/o saying this is over the top melodramatic music. This album is beautiful though.
  2. A Map of All their Failures, from last year is really strong. Maybe their strongest newest output.
  3. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light, A Line of Deathless Kings, and  For Lies I Sire  are recent releases prior to A Map that are also solid releases.

Yeah-these are just the discs I own, but I would say The Angel and A Map...would give you a good range. I don't have thier true doom/death stuff as I prefer their cleaner singing stuff. I do like doom/deth, but MDB vocals are strong enough for me to prefer the cleaner vocals. Aaron Stainthorpe-the vocalist nails the classic melodic male bariton doom vox IMO.

Enjoy!

Cheers buddy

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #10,761 of 29,693
>:[

Read the lyrics to this song, it's just brutal

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #10,763 of 29,693
Quote:
>:[

Read the lyrics to this song, it's just brutal

It better be, with a title like that! Blood eagle is just about the sickest thing you can do to another human being.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #10,765 of 29,693
Primordial-The Gathering Wilderness and To the Nameless Dead-both essential to my collection. I haven't heard their newest release (2011 or 12). I remember reading it wasn't quite as strong, but pretty solid.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #10,766 of 29,693
Well here is my top 13 of the year so far. There are lots of best of lists, and I have not heard as much metal maybe as some, but here it is in order of best to worst.

1. Suffocation..Pinnacle Of Bedlam
2. Immolation..Kingdom Of Conspiracy
3. Dodsferd..A Cursed Heritage
4. Dew-Scented..Insurgent
5. Dodsfall..Kroneti I svart eld
6. Criminal Element..Modus Operandi
7. Amon Amarth..Deceiver Of The Gods
8. The Black Dahlia Murder..Everblack
9. Aborym..Dirty
10. Deeds Of Flesh..Portals To Canaan
11. Rotting Christ..Kata Ton Diamona Eaytoy
12. Exhumed..Necrocracy
13. Thou Art Lord..The Regal Pulse Of Lucifer

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #10,767 of 29,693
Quote:
Well here is my top 13 of the year so far. There are lots of best of lists, and I have not heard as much metal maybe as some, but here it is in order of best to worst.

9. Aborym..Dirty
12. Exhumed..Necrocracy
13. Thou Art Lord..The Regal Pulse Of Lucifer4
3,4,5,6,9.10. 13, I will listen to these.
Apart from that,  I agree with your list.

For the statesman on this thread....\m/

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #10,769 of 29,693
Quote:

9. Aborym..Dirty
12. Exhumed..Necrocracy

The new suffocation and exhumed kick ass.I need to get my hands on the new immolation as ive heard good reports.You heard the new carcass yet.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #10,770 of 29,693

9. Aborym..Dirty
12. Exhumed..Necrocracy

Sweet list! It's not mine this year but I couldn't pick a top 13 right now LOL. I have most of those, I'll have to pick up aborym and criminal element!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back