LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #1,891 of 1,904
Has anyone had to replace the mesh metal screen on the nozzle? If so, what do you purchase to replace what's on the nozzle from the factory, and is it as simple as just dropping it into place? I ask because when cleaning mine the mesh popped loose. I popped it back into place and put the ear tip back on, so all is fine now, I just worry the next time I remove the ear piece to clean that it may pop loose again and disappear.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #1,892 of 1,904
Has anyone had to replace the mesh metal screen on the nozzle? If so, what do you purchase to replace what's on the nozzle from the factory, and is it as simple as just dropping it into place? I ask because when cleaning mine the mesh popped loose. I popped it back into place and put the ear tip back on, so all is fine now, I just worry the next time I remove the ear piece to clean that it may pop loose again and disappear.

I recall reading they are standard 5mm (I think) mesh with a perimeter of adhesive that holds them in place.

If they stuck back down you are probably fine.

Replacements are cheap off AliExpress.

One thing to consider, I well known S12 tuner indicated that the more coarse/open mesh/grill of the S12 Pro does effect the tuning so you would want to get a similarly more open mesh/grill.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #1,893 of 1,904
I recall reading they are standard 5mm (I think) mesh with a perimeter of adhesive that holds them in place.

If they stuck back down you are probably fine.

Replacements are cheap off AliExpress.

One thing to consider, I well known S12 tuner indicated that the more coarse/open mesh/grill of the S12 Pro does effect the tuning so you would want to get a similarly more open mesh/grill.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully it stays put and that is that.

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #1,895 of 1,904
I have an issue with the S12: on one of my ears the hook is creating tension on my ear, so they get uncomfortable after 10-15 minutes. Can I just take a hairdryer and warm up the cable and try to bend it a bit different?
Well, here's another one who is dissatisfied with the too small radius of the heat shrink in the S12 Pro. I hope in future revisions of the S12 Pro the heat shrinks will be replaced with better ones (not so thick and rigid), and the rounding radius will be at least slightly increased. BGVP DMA uses higher quality heat shrinks (thin and soft), with an adequate rounding radius.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #1,897 of 1,904
They are stupidly expensive, especially compared to the price of the S12 but I had them on hand for another IEM so I tried them on my S12 Pro.

Pentaconn Coreir tips work very nicely to my taste giving the sound a little extra airiness without detracting in any way.

Fit is also very good for me but on some IEM they are a uncomfortable after a couple of hours, seems like the metal inner core can press the silicone into the ear canal depending on the insertion angle and depth.

Not sure I would suggest buying them just for the S12 but they are worth trying if you have other IEM they might be worth trying on as well.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #1,898 of 1,904
They are stupidly expensive, especially compared to the price of the S12 but I had them on hand for another IEM so I tried them on my S12 Pro.

Pentaconn Coreir tips work very nicely to my taste giving the sound a little extra airiness without detracting in any way.

Fit is also very good for me but on some IEM they are a uncomfortable after a couple of hours, seems like the metal inner core can press the silicone into the ear canal depending on the insertion angle and depth.

Not sure I would suggest buying them just for the S12 but they are worth trying if you have other IEM they might be worth trying on as well.
I haven't gotten into tip rolling yet, but I'll keep these ind mind for when I'm ready to start that journey 👍
I want my chains done before tweaking the minor stuff, which I assume tips are.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #1,899 of 1,904
I haven't gotten into tip rolling yet, but I'll keep these ind mind for when I'm ready to start that journey 👍
I want my chains done before tweaking the minor stuff, which I assume tips are.

Yeah sort of.

Tips can have a profound effect if there is something fundamentally wrong but my experience is that between tips that fit well and seal well they are mostly fine tuning. Sometimes foam will be significantly different to silicone and sometimes there is no obvious difference. To my ear foam tips suck the authority out of the S12 Pro bass which makes them overemphasised in the treble and all out of balance.

That said, I personally place much more importance on tip selection than the DAC and amplifiers despite that isn’t a popular opinion here.

Also, I see so much talk about cables like they are absolutely a legitimately important tuning consideration but I have never, not once, found any definitive difference in sound caused by a cable unless it was genuinely faulty. I don’t think our recollection of sound is good enough to make a genuine comparison between cables in the time needed to swap them. I have seen a few people try and measure frequency response differences between cables but the results are always within the limits of the test accuracy and the explanation of why they apparently hear differences is that the frequency response doesn’t show everything that effects what we hear, I am not convinced.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,900 of 1,904
Yeah sort of.

Tips can have a profound effect if there is something fundamentally wrong but my experience is that between tips that fit well and seal well they are mostly fine tuning. Sometimes foam will be significantly different to silicone and sometimes there is no obvious difference. To my ear foam tips suck the authority out of the S12 Pro bass which makes them overemphasised in the treble and all out of balance.

That said, I personally place much more importance on tip selection than the DAC and amplifiers despite that isn’t a popular opinion here.

Also, I see so much talk about cables like they are absolutely a legitimately important tuning consideration but I have never, not once, found any definitive difference in sound caused by a cable unless it was genuinely faulty. I don’t think our recollection of sound is good enough to make a genuine comparison between cables in the time needed to swap them. I have seen a few people try and measure frequency response differences between cables but the results are always within the limits of the test accuracy and the explanation of why they apparently hear differences is that the frequency response doesn’t show everything that effects what we hear, I am not convinced.
We have very similar opinions on a lot of subjects, which makes me even more interested in trying out rip rolling 👍

May 1, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #1,902 of 1,904
@LETSHUOER Support

Perhaps it’s worth trying to make sound tubes and meshes out of plastic, as Sennheiser did in their popular IE 600 model? 🤔 Maybe this will help avoid the formation of condensation on the sound tube grille? The advantage of this solution is that most of the body remains made of metal, and plastic sound tubes do not spoil the appearance in any way simply because, as a rule, they are equipped with tips. I am sure that Sennheiser did this for a reason, out of nothing to do or to stand out from the competition. Another surprising thing is why only the Germans thought of this? 😯 Once again I admire the Sennheiser engineers and give them a standing ovation :clap: Chinese companies definitely have a lot to learn from them 😉

It’s 2024, where is this guy come from?

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #1,903 of 1,904
And yes, if the engineers of all these Chinese companies knew about this problem, it is not difficult to guess that they would try to do something about it (for example, they would make sound tubes and meshes from plastic, as in the Sennheiser IE 600). But since no one does this, it means no one knows about the problem. And if all these companies know about the problem of condensation formation, but none of them thought of at least making sound tubes and meshes out of plastic, then this only once again confirms that there really are no smart engineers there.
Who’s that “Vlad Koon” guy? Gee-whiz. If he had preference of materials for his iems. Just buy what you wanted.

What kind of people would asked company to change their product just for your liking? “Absurd, bizarre”

Is this “Vlad Koon” for real?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back