LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Jan 10, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,037 of 1,050
I've been using my LG G5 with the B&O DAC and using USB Audio Player Pro

But its become very dodgy lately... random USB related errors, requiring the phone to be rebooted to get the DAC to play any sound. Not sure if hardware related, or related to USBAPP (which is pretty dodgy app itself)

I was very happy with the audio quality though... but im looking at other, more reliable alternatives.

Does anyone know how the G5 + B&O compares to say a FiiO X1? Or even V10, V20, Samsung S7?
The way to cure this (it is the very tiny connector that works its way loose if your headphone jack gets caught on your pocket) is to exit UAPP and then bring up the task manager, and close the second instance of UAPP... then plug back into the jack, and all is good again.

If you get it where it says "starting hi-fi plus" and just stays there, then yes - a battery pull is the only option you have.

That being said, I've given up on it, that little connector is just too much of a PITA with the disconnects, so - bought a USBC OTH cable, and now using the Mojo again - happier times :)

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #1,038 of 1,050
Can any one confirm that the Hifi Plus Module does not require UAPP to work on other apps such as Spotify and Youtube? I recall this was a common issue when hooking up an external DAC/AMP on an android device as well as the v10.

How much of an improvement over the built-in headphone out is the Hifi plus? Using the Momentums, the built-in DAC sounds quite good to me already, and I came from an HTC M8 and I prefer the G5's builtin DAC over HTC's. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #1,039 of 1,050
  Can any one confirm that the Hifi Plus Module does not require UAPP to work on other apps such as Spotify and Youtube? I recall this was a common issue when hooking up an external DAC/AMP on an android device as well as the v10.

How much of an improvement over the built-in headphone out is the Hifi plus? Using the Momentums, the built-in DAC sounds quite good to me already, and I came from an HTC M8 and I prefer the G5's builtin DAC over HTC's. 

I have always assumed it is using the DAC, but can't say for sure.  Sounds like it to me. It is definitely using the amp.  The difference between the onboard jack and the B&O is so extreme I had to check the in depth reviews to make sure there wasn't some EQ cheating going on.  It is a massive difference to my ears.  Of course some of that depends on what you are driving.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #1,041 of 1,050
great thanks! now only if I can find a place that I can test the B&O Module before purchase to see if it works with Korean variant of the G5 (F700)

I can tell you for sure the Korean module will work with the F700 as that is the exact phone I have.  Where are you looking at buying the module from?

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #1,042 of 1,050

Yes it does not need UAPP to work, YouTube or Spotify works natively with it as does other third party players.

The sq is really good imo, competing with DAPs in the $300+ region at least. The amp is also very powerful and have no problem driving the HD650 or even the Sextett's directly. Only downside is the battery drain, I'm actually going to get another phone and use the G5 as a dedicated DAP.......

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #1,044 of 1,050
Yes it does not need UAPP to work, YouTube or Spotify works natively with it as does other third party players.

The sq is really good imo, competing with DAPs in the $300+ region at least. The amp is also very powerful and have no problem driving the HD650 or even the Sextett's directly. Only downside is the battery drain, I'm actually going to get another phone and use the G5 as a dedicated DAP.......

Excellent! I will use it for Momentum 1.0 Over Ear. 

I was previously looking to get a Dragonfly red before I got the G5 and this issue was one of the reason I almost got an iPhone since Androids have this volume obstacle when using external DACs.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #1,045 of 1,050
Terrific news, thanks! Looking from the Philippines. the b&o modules aren't so popular here but there are online stores.
From what I could tell there are at least 2 versions. The global one is not compatible unfortunately since that one is often cheap from China and HK. Direct from Korea on Gmarket global it is $150+$15 shipping

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,047 of 1,050
Mar 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,048 of 1,050
Hi everyone,

There is one simple thing I simply do not get here:
OK, they make a DAC converter that is much better than the built-in one.

But it was another function I was interested in, and I thought it had it, from the initial news I had.

a. better. speaker!!!

Why?

Because conference calls are crap on my office phone, and it works better with my mobile. And I end up always using the built in speaker to do them. And sometimes (noisy cafes, bad connection...), it's simply not loud/precise enough.

And most of all, I'm not going to carry around a bluetooth speaker, with a separate battery I will have to monitor every day, just for those cases. 1 extra cm on the phone length and use the phone battery was exactly what I had in mind.

Now that's something way more widespread as a need, than going from 90 to 100 dB in dynamic range, noise reduction etc.

So why not do it???

And most of all, why is Google silent about this???

Any reaction, people?
Thanks!

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,050 of 1,050
Has anyone got the hifi module to work with viper4android? A guy on xda said he got it to work but no one else. I can't get anyone to either confirm or deny that it will work at all so it's kinda driving me crazy. My issue with it is that my HTC Sesation, a 7 year old phone is still considerably better when paired with my Phillips Fidelios X2's than with this G5 dac. I have v4a installed on the HTC which I think helps a lot but it also has a wolfson dac built in. I think that if I can v4a to work with the g5 dac it might be very good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back