Linear Power supply on Mac Mini
Dec 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rsbrsvp

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Mojo Audio ultra low noise linear power supply for my mac mini.  The manufacturer claims it is around 20% lower noise than lithium batteries.  I clearly hear the difference over that mac mini with the switching power supply.

Someone claimed to me that even though the mac now has a linear power supply, the usb outputs of the mac still run on a switching power supply.  I don't understand how that could be possible.

Is that correct or is the usb output power considered linear power if I have a linear power supply on the mac mini?

I would appreciate the correct answer to this question.

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a hard time understanding that myself, as switching power supplies use AC inputs, and you are feeding a DC input into your mac mini.  I would ignore the claim and enjoy the music.

btw, I also found the dc conversion of my mini to provide a nice bump in sound quality.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 4
  Your linear PSU probably supplies 12 V but USB needs 5 V
A mobo has various components working with a different voltage.
On the mobo there are several voltage regulators and they are indeed switchers (PWM)

Thanks for the post - was unaware before it that dc voltage regulation wouldn't always be linear.  Better searches (Google) explains a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back