List of High-End Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi Continued
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #46 of 256
What brand of stand are you using? I'm desperately looking for a good sectional that I can build with. I'm thinking if I can't find something that suits me I may have to build my own (or well, contract my dad to do it).

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #47 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What brand of stand are you using? I'm desperately looking for a good sectional that I can build with. I'm thinking if I can't find something that suits me I may have to build my own (or well, contract my dad to do it).

My is home grown. I purchased several sheets of 3/4 inch "Ranger Board" from the local building supply center having them cut to general shelf dimensions. I then glued two shelves together to get a thicker shelf. Then I took the shelves to a local cabinet maker who squared everything off to the requested dimension and drilled the holes for the 5/8 inch threaded rods, also from a local supply store. I purchased the Salamander threaded Mega Spikes for the bottom of the rods. I primed and painted the finished shelves before assembling everything. All told, I may have $300 or so in the unit. About the only thing I might have done differently would have been to put molding around the outside of the shelving to give it a more finish look.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #48 of 256
I'm sending payment for a Galibier Serac tomorrow. I hope it will ship by early next week. I have a Morch UP-4 arm to go with it. Pics will go up as soon as it is set up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #49 of 256
The Super Platter came yesterday so was able to get the table installed today.

IMG_0709.jpg

Still have a couple of issues to deal with. The ground on the VPI doesn't seem to be working as it is causing problems with the channels shorting out. Unplugging the DIN cable and replugging solves the problem but this is too frequent of requirement. Also have an issue with the Benz-Micro Ruby 3H cartridges magnet being so strong it pulls the cartridge against the outer ring when you set the cartridge down on the edge of the record.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #50 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Super Platter came yesterday so was able to get the table installed today.

Still have a couple of issues to deal with. The ground on the VPI doesn't seem to be working as it is causing problems with the channels shorting out. Unplugging the DIN cable and replugging solves the problem but this is too frequent of requirement. Also have an issue with the Benz-Micro Ruby 3H cartridges magnet being so strong it pulls the cartridge against the outer ring when you set the cartridge down on the edge of the record.

Beautiful looking deck, there.

Are you sure that latter problem isn't an anti-skate issue?

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #51 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful looking deck, there.

Are you sure that latter problem isn't an anti-skate issue?

Thanks

The individual from the dealer had the exact same problem with this particular Benz cartridge on another HRX he set up. He has not experienced this with any other cartridge on the table. Also, it is not an issue if the outer ring is not used.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #52 of 256
Ah, OK. I asked because a buddy of mine with a VPI deck has a similar issue and did have to fuss with the anti-skate to solve it, but if it's not an issue with the outer ring off, then what you said makes perfect sense.

I love my Benz (Wood L2) - hope you get the issue resolved with your Ruby.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #54 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, OK. I asked because a buddy of mine with a VPI deck has a similar issue and did have to fuss with the anti-skate to solve it, but if it's not an issue with the outer ring off, then what you said makes perfect sense.

I love my Benz (Wood L2) - hope you get the issue resolved with your Ruby.

I talked with Mike at VPI as well as Steve at Musical Surroundings on the issue. Basically, it is most likely the VPI outer ring is not "pure" stainless steel and the large outer magnets of the Benz Ruby makes it even more of an issue. VPI was very good and offer to have me send the ring in and they would send a replacement they would test to be sure I wouldn't have a problem with the Benz.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #55 of 256
How bout this, does it fit in here?
Its only rega bearing, in time I'll do another deck. I'm making a dual plinth out
of pine and jarrah for all the parts on this boring mdf knock up. One day it will be a record cleaner.
It's got all expensive groovetracer and iron audio and stuff on it, and underneath there is a Benz Micro Lukaschek PP1 T9 MC phono stage, which is awesome.
I reckon my source is high end analog enough to be here.
In a few months I will have the choice of Denon DL304, 301II, Supex 900 MKIV (!!), Supex SD900 super (!!!!!!) All 4 carts are Japanese, that wasn't planned.
Until I decide to get itchy about that rega bearing and plinth limitations, I am perfectly happy to only spend on....carts, cans, amps, mc stages, ....everything else, really.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #57 of 256
C'mon, people, pweeease rate my system, the one just up there^^^.
It's all I've ever owned.
You should hear Paul Mcartney's voice in Eleanor Rigby on the Love album through my still new DT990 pro 250 ohm.
And of course the 650s, my techno cans.
I used to think my sennheiser HD 650s were the be all end all everything cans, but now my dt990s play metal and grunge and a lot of other pop really nice, great detail, hey.
But Michael Jackson "Thriller" album should be a mandatory listen for everyone through HD650s, through a record player like this one at least.
Noone I know understands my infatuation with real audio, it's quite simple really, low hiss, low hum, expensive headphones, highest definition outside the master room, you guys know what I'm saying?
Three bass drums at the start of "The Struggle Within", Metallica, changed the way I looked for bass. People who have heard them three drums through 650s know what I mean I hope
The only eq I need is RIAA standard.
I got this guy at work with two huge speakers in the back of his car, "real bass" he says.
Wrong.
Sorry I'm rambling, I still hope my system is high end enough to fit here.
It cost me around 5500-6000 to make so far, but I'm sure I'm getting a sound 3 times that price

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #58 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon, people, pweeease rate my system, the one just up there^^^.
It's all I've ever owned.

I've noticed quite strange combination of RA-1 and HD 650. But if you like their sound, that's all right.
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #59 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still hope my system is high end enough to fit here.

Unfortunately a Rega P3 does not qualify, as the retail price is below the minimum requirement of $1000 for the turntable only.

I am sure it sounds wonderful, and it certainly looks great....but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #60 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chartbreaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed quite strange combination of RA-1 and HD 650. But if you like their sound, that's all right.
smile.gif

Well, I realise I could've chosen something...better... to start off with NOW, I just bought the Grado blindly, not knowing what to expect. Hey, it is the Hi Gain version, the normal one simply didnt drive the 650s, so I swapped for hi gain.
it does make the 650s and DT990 sound great to me, but it's no way gonna be the only headphone amp I ever own.
One day I'll have ten, starting next with the Little dot MKIV, or III, and I have this one other amp called an L-top Pepper.
I'm only still beginning, love my new hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back