Lite DAC-83 - any thoughts?
Jan 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gh0st0

Head-Fier
I've been looking for a sub-1000GBP DAC to pair up with my LCD2r1 and newly DIYed balanced beta22 and my search has led me as far as the Lite DAC-83, although I'm finding impressions on it incredibly scarce. There's a review by John Darko on Digital Audio Review, but apart from that... radio silence. Has anyone heard one that can offer a comment, or a good alternative?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 10
I have been searching for information on this DAC for a month now. 

I do not know what kind of DAC you are looking for, but looking for a very neutral one, the only other one I found was Metrum Acoustics Octave. 

DAC-83 seems to be a very good DAC and if your price range is 1k GBP, you should not think twice, I think you will be pleased with it. I would buy it myself, but it is much more expensive than the Octave - they seem to be at a similar level of performance - and I will probably buy the Octave.

Do you have a good source for DAC-83? On AmpCity they sell it for 955GBP, but their prices are usually a bit higher than everywhere else. The cheapest I have seen it was on diyclub.biz and they sell it for $1229.

Either way, I do not think you can go wrong with this DAC.

http://diyclub.biz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=646

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 10
The Lite DAC83 has wonderful soundstaging capabilities. Neutral and even from top to bottom. To me it was slightly 'dry' sounding in the midrange (from my Violectric V200, which has a pretty rich midrange) - using a Squeezebox Touch as transport, so it depends on your preferences, and synergy with existing equipment. I would be interested to see how it sounded with a tubey-sounding tube amp.

I never heard it with a B22.

It is absolutely massive.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 10
thanks guys.

@szadzik as far as I can tell, the Octave isn't balanced, so that's out for me, I've implemented my beta22 as balanced input/output only. With regard to AmpCity, they may be a touch expensive, but they are offering a UK-based warranty and a 30-day trial period, which for me makes the extra worth it over an overseas supplier.

@Duckman SBTouch (with soundcheck's toolkit software mods and sigma11 linear psu) will be the transport via coax. I think the beta22 won't do much to colour the sound one way or the other, but to my ears, the LCD-2 sounds best with a solidly neutral source, so that may be an overall good synergy, especially if the soundstage is big and open.

I think I'll go for it - worst-case if I don't like it I can return it within 30 days. I'll also be running it out unbalanced through a Bottlehead Crack into DT770 600ohm, so that might give an impression of what it sounds like through some tubey goodness.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
thanks guys.

@szadzik as far as I can tell, the Octave isn't balanced, so that's out for me, I've implemented my beta22 as balanced input/output only. With regard to AmpCity, they may be a touch expensive, but they are offering a UK-based warranty and a 30-day trial period, which for me makes the extra worth it over an overseas supplier.

@Duckman SBTouch (with soundcheck's toolkit software mods and sigma11 linear psu) will be the transport via coax. I think the beta22 won't do much to colour the sound one way or the other, but to my ears, the LCD-2 sounds best with a solidly neutral source, so that may be an overall good synergy, especially if the soundstage is big and open.

I think I'll go for it - worst-case if I don't like it I can return it within 30 days. I'll also be running it out unbalanced through a Bottlehead Crack into DT770 600ohm, so that might give an impression of what it sounds like through some tubey goodness.

Yes, if you need balanced, Octave is out of the question.

I see your point with AmpCity. If your budget allows it. go for it. Please also make sure you post your impressions as opinions about this DAC are scarce.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 10
To the OP whereabouts in the UK are you? I ask because I have an Abrahmasen v6 which you could test if we are close enough

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 10
Have you considered the Audio-GD NFB-7?

I bought one from Amp City and love it. Comes out at just over £1000.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 10
thanks for the suggestion. That does look nice, but AmpCity list the 7.1 now for £1200. I'm pushing it with £1k tbh, can't afford to 20% over budget 
mad.gif

Quote:
Have you considered the Audio-GD NFB-7?

I bought one from Amp City and love it. Comes out at just over £1000.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
thanks for the suggestion. That does look nice, but AmpCity list the 7.1 now for £1200. I'm pushing it with £1k tbh, can't afford to 20% over budget 
mad.gif

Sorry did not realize the price had gone up. Paid just under £1100 for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back