Little Dot MK 9 - Has anyone tried it?
Feb 10, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #331 of 369
Well, another surprise with my LD MK9. I have a new set of planar's that I am playing with across the amp collection. These guys do like power, but are not power hogs like the HE6se V2's. Results have been up and down:

1) iFi Pro iCAN was good.

2) Violectric V220 was really good, until it became pretty horrible. Pretty warm amp with very dark headphones did not work out.

3) Went back to iFi and adjusted gain, bass boost and especially 3D effects to hit a new high in performance!

4) RebelAmp just does not have the juice for these. It cannot do them justice, IMO.

5) My last pairing was the Little Dot MK9 and I really wasn't expecting much. I switched the amp to high gain and it was still pretty underwhelming. But then I looked next to it and realized that I had forgotten that I had the Schiit Loki in this chain. So I flicked it on. Right away the higher gain is helping. And all four bands were already set at higher levels. Wow, the sound was now rocking. Volume stays between 5 and 6 on the dial. The bass is even stronger (which was already their strong point), the mids are pretty great and you can actually feel a bit of air up high. Very nice!

(Background)
The headphones are planar's called Bee's from a small one man company called Nectar Sound, down in Georgia. The owner makes each set by hand. They are Very dark. His specialty is electrostatic headphones. They were WAY too dark for me in the first couple of days, but have opened up since. Or my brain has made Major adjustments. Find out this weekend with I go back to A-B'ing the headphones against their competition.
(/Background)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that this amp is competing with my iFi Pro iCAN, with some EQ help, to make these cans sing. I Never saw this coming. Very nice surprise!

I am actually going back forth between the iFi and MK9 and they both sound great in different ways. iFi is cleaner, but the MK9 feels bassier/fuller, because of the EQ.

You can check out the headphones here: https://nectarsound.net/about-the-headphones/

They are 11 Ohm headphones and he recommends a minimum of 1.3W per channel, but says they will do better at 3-7W per channel. :smile:

Glad to hear the MK9 has at least partially redeemed itself :)
As always, there is synergy between components that is unanticipated, that surprises/pleases. Glad you found a complimentary pair.

Was a bit surprised to hear that yet another set of can was bought, @Shane D !!

:)

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #332 of 369
As always, there is synergy between components that is unanticipated, that surprises/pleases. Glad you found a complimentary pair.

I really had no plans to buy anymore headphones for a while, but then I read about these on another forum. They sounded kind of unique and pretty affordable. The two qualities in a headphone that always call my name. :relaxed:

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #333 of 369

By redeeming itself, are you referring to my SR2 trouble? If so, that was no fault of the amp, that was just my ignorance/amnesia about the Ohm rating.

I am listening to it right now going through John Coltrane's Blue Train. It sounds excellent.

Before that I had to start with Red Clay (alternate version). I really prefer the 2002 version from the 40th Anniversary Edition.

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #334 of 369
By redeeming itself, are you referring to my SR2 trouble? If so, that was no fault of the amp, that was just my ignorance/amnesia about the Ohm rating.

I am listening to it right now going through John Coltrane's Blue Train. It sounds excellent.

Before that I had to start with Red Clay (alternate version). I really prefer the 2002 version from the 40th Anniversary Edition.

I thought you had expressed disappointment with the MK9 and hum.

Mr Hubbard's Red Clay! Always been very interesting to me that on the main release, Joe Henderson plays his heart out on his Tenor Saxophone....but OMG, he is way way WAY out of tune! It's so bad that I have always had a hard time enjoying that track. Everybody else, is spot on, but poor Joe!
I am pretty sure my CD is the 2001 remaster. It has "Red Clay Live Alternate Version" as track 06 on it...which I should probably listen to and see how Joe did on that...

I also have a cover that I love by Randy Bernsen on his album is "Grace Notes" - a fantastic electric guitar-centric "Red Clay"...

...Just listened to Live Red Clay....the Sax is in tune! But guess what...the wiki says Stanley Turrentine played sax on that track? Looks like an all star lineup for the live version:

Track 6 (Live Red Clay) Additional Personnel

KAZOW!

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #335 of 369
The best Tenor player (that ya never heard of):

NDctNzQ3My5qcGVn.jpeg

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #336 of 369
I thought you had expressed disappointment with the MK9 and hum.

Mr Hubbard's Red Clay! Always been very interesting to me that on the main release, Joe Henderson plays his heart out on his Tenor Saxophone....but OMG, he is way way WAY out of tune! It's so bad that I have always had a hard time enjoying that track. Everybody else, is spot on, but poor Joe!
I am pretty sure my CD is the 2001 remaster. It has "Red Clay Live Alternate Version" as track 06 on it...which I should probably listen to and see how Joe did on that...

I also have a cover that I love by Randy Bernsen on his album is "Grace Notes" - a fantastic electric guitar-centric "Red Clay"...

...Just listened to Live Red Clay....the Sax is in tune! But guess what...the wiki says Stanley Turrentine played sax on that track? Looks like an all star lineup for the live version:

Track 6 (Live Red Clay) Additional Personnel

KAZOW!

A little disappointment with the hum, but It not unknown with tube amps. Not sure how it will work out long term. No problem at all with the Bee headphones. Dead quiet.

You missed one name on that list, Ron Carter.
I find that the alternate version is SO much livelier! The next album in my playlist is John Coltrane's Blue Train and it is a little anti-climatic after that piece.:smile:

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #337 of 369
A little disappointment with the hum, but It not unknown with tube amps. Not sure how it will work out long term. No problem at all with the Bee headphones. Dead quiet.

You missed one name on that list, Ron Carter.
I find that the alternate version is SO much livelier! The next album in my playlist is John Coltrane's Blue Train and it is a little anti-climatic after that piece.:smile:

Was hoping you would try the "top deck screw to power strip ground" deal...

:xf_cool:

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #338 of 369
Was hoping you would try the "top deck screw to power strip ground" deal...

:xf_cool:
I might try that yet, after all the comparo's are done. I want to do some fine tuning on the MK9, the iFi and the Cascades.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #340 of 369
IMG_6970.JPG

Jazzin' the ZMF's with the MK9

The RCA clear top 12SL7GT shown above has really proven to be a favorite. Really nice sounding driver. I can really get lost in the 'audio sauce'. Highly recommended.

Happiness :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #342 of 369
IMG_7095W.JPG

A normally microphonic NU 12SL7 in the MK9...piece of pool noodle foam keeps it listenable...

Was just listening to some Steve Grossman (Tenor Sax man) when I realized that the gear....tubes...amp...cans, had all disappeared!
I was there, man!

This NU is a fantastic sounding tubular device. Look at those beautiful copper rods :)

Happy Thursday, Y'all!

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #343 of 369
I was really enjoying this amp with my Grado Hemps. It was a Great combo.
Also enjoyed the Clears with it.20230314_154318.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #344 of 369
IMG_7095W.JPG

A normally microphonic NU 12SL7 in the MK9...piece of pool noodle foam keeps it listenable...

Was just listening to some Steve Grossman (Tenor Sax man) when I realized that the gear....tubes...amp...cans, had all disappeared!
I was there, man!

This NU is a fantastic sounding tubular device. Look at those beautiful copper rods :)

Happy Thursday, Y'all!
How about some Mexican music to go with the sombrero?

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #345 of 369
I was really enjoying this amp with my Grado Hemps. It was a Great combo.
Also enjoyed the Clears with it.20230314_154318.jpg
… was? … 🤔😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back