Looking for a Christmas upgrade
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Entropism

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I have a set of HD6XX, Dekoni Blue, and Takstar Pro82. I've been giving the Dekonis the most play over the past year, but I'd like something that was a bit more open. I was considering the Hifiman Deva Pros (or Sundaras) but I'm a bit wary of their QC and reliability.

Ideally I'd be looking for open, that can bring an appropriate amount of bass, without being fatiguing. I generally look for the warmer side as I'm a bit treble sensitive. These will be played at my computer, using a Loxjie A30 amp.

The Deva Pros are $160/200 now, and while I don't NEED bluetooth, I'd probably buy the wireless version just in case I ever want to use it. The Sundara is $300, but $200 for refurbs direct from Hifiman.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd be buying in the US.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 8
For open-back in that price range I am a relentless (and probably tiresome) advocate of the ATH-R70X.

They're Audio-Technica's attempt to outdo the Sennheiser HD650. They are comfortable to the point of antigravity -- which makes a huge, unexpected difference compared to my previous phones. Their bass response is fine un-EQd -- the way I use them -- and they claim to go down to 5hz so there's room to pump it up if you want to EQ. Clarity but no screechy treble, and instruments sound very natural.

I have had them for more than a year now, usually with hours of use each day. I would have expected to replace the soft pads and wings, but they are almost miraculously un-worn.

There are lots of reviews because they've been around a while. This one (not by me) pretty much sums up my experience with them.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

Best US price is at Thomann. They add shipping but it will still be $20-$30 less than the generally fixed price of $350, and there's a 30 day return policy if you're not as immediately smitten as I was. (Look at an unboxing video though...confusing outer package.)

https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

They do want power, but so would Sundaras (and so do HD6XX). I run them from a VE Megatron, which is all of $56 shipped to the USA, but you probably already have an amp with your existing rig.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

I did just add a cheap balanced cable from Lunashops on Aliexpress, and they seem to benefit from the balanced power boost, but I was quite happy already with SE.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 8
The Deva wired I had was a little softer, more refined version of the He5xx. Almost any headphone can be equalized 3db to bring out the bass without a problem. The he5xx I use daily really has some thump when you ask for it with an Autoeq profile. It's never harsh, has a nice soundstage, just really versatile. Also they fit better because the Sundara clamp is like a vice on large heads.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Right now I have a set of HD6XX, Dekoni Blue, and Takstar Pro82. I've been giving the Dekonis the most play over the past year, but I'd like something that was a bit more open. I was considering the Hifiman Deva Pros (or Sundaras) but I'm a bit wary of their QC and reliability.

Ideally I'd be looking for open, that can bring an appropriate amount of bass, without being fatiguing. I generally look for the warmer side as I'm a bit treble sensitive. These will be played at my computer, using a Loxjie A30 amp.

The Deva Pros are $160/200 now, and while I don't NEED bluetooth, I'd probably buy the wireless version just in case I ever want to use it. The Sundara is $300, but $200 for refurbs direct from Hifiman.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd be buying in the US.
How about the Fostex T60RP, although a semi-closed? You can even get it "Argonized," down the road if you want?

The R70X is a nice suggestion. Good headphone that is Super light.

You could also look at a HiFiman XS. Maybe an open box or a refurb?

You could also explore the Sivga or Sendy headphones.

And in new models there are the FT3's and maybe the FT5's, although a little pricey.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 8
If you've got time to wait, consider the SASH Tres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back