Looking for a new "endgame" tube amp - thoughts?
May 15, 2023 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

OnlySoMany

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all. Looking for your thoughts on a new higher-end tube amp. Here is what I have narrowed it down to so far:

DNA Stellaris
Woo Audio WA23
Woo Audio WA33 Elite
Eddie Current Studio B
Decware // Reference ZMF OTL
Auris Audio Nirvana IV
Feliks Audio Envy

All cost a lot, hence looking for feedback.

Elite I have heard is very good, but good how? Some prefer WA23, some say WA33 is king. Also, is the Elite version worth it, or just do JPS wiring upgrade and call it a day?

DNA I already have a Stratus and love it, but that could also be due to what it's being fed by (ND555-Dave-BluMKll).

Lots of people rave about Eddie Current, but I have never heard one in person.

WA23 also has a lot of fans. Plus looks kinda epic.

Decware Reference ZMF OTL. Not heard much about this so far, but it's the cheapest of the bunch and will likely pair well with ZMF gear.

I will likely use PSVANE and RCA tubes as I like their sound signature together.

I use ZMF headphones most of the time but also have many others (see sig).

I have a lot of excellent solid-state amps already. Just looking for a more romantic, emotional, but still very clear sound.

Dac-wise, I will use the Dave, 552, or the NDX2. Also looking into a Mola Mola Tambaqui in the future.

Please help!

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 24
If you want a more "romantic" sound than Stratus, or at least at the same level of lushness, then DNA there is.
Last time I heard DNA was years ago but I still remember the sound sig as it was very impressive.

Basically nothing you list is quite as warm and lush as the Stratus, maybe the Decware but it is a sidegrade at best.
WA23 is not smooth like DNA, the sound is a bit more open and clearer while still maintain good some warmth. not as mid-centric.
WA33 is not as warm as WA23.
Eddie Current is very dependent on the tube you use, but not remotely close to warmth/thickness of DNA no matter what tube you use.

for DAC maybe you should look into MSB or PS Audio DSD for warmer sound signature.

May 15, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 24
May 15, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 24
May 17, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 24
EC contrast very nicely with DNA house sound. DNA stages more intimate and have a lush presentation with great detail retrieval where EC is more grand and dynamic in nature. But EC is pretty much gone these days it's probably best to strike this off.

The Stellaris will be the safer blind buy since you've already have a stratus. Assuming you do not plan to use this for planars, there really isn't anything out there I'd pick over the Stellaris as an endgame amp for ZMFs if not all dynamic driver headphones out there. What are you looking for in terms of upgrade over your Stratus?

May 18, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 24
Add ampsandsound to your review list, because I want to make the decision even harder :).

May 18, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 24
. . . and the Cayin HA300mk2 could (should) be on that list as well. :wink:

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 24
The Stellaris will be the safer blind buy since you've already have a stratus. Assuming you do not plan to use this for planars, there really isn't anything out there I'd pick over the Stellaris as an endgame amp for ZMFs if not all dynamic driver headphones out there. What are you looking for in terms of upgrade over your Stratus?
Not sure what I am looking for, it's one of those things that you don't know what you are missing until you hear it in an upgrade. Then you can't go back 😂

Also I will be keeping the Stratus, it's going to another listening station.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 24
I have started narrowing it down to a few choices.

DNA Stellaris is a super long wait, at over 18 months. I have full faith it would be amazing, but that is a very long wait time.

I am leaning in the direction of the Woo Audio WA33 (standard or with wiring upgrade) or Apex HiFi Pinnacle 2 Ultra. Does anyone have experience with both or either of these amps?

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 24
Another one I forgot to mention is the Viva Egoista 845. Looks pretty amazing. Price is pretty amazing as well, at $18,500 for a headphone amp.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 24
If you're looking into a Tambaqui in the future I can tell you that the WA23 Luna is an excellent match with it, but I've replaced the tubes with Takatsuki 2A3 and 274b rectifier which takes its sound to a magical level of refinement, warmth and resolution. Hard to make a recommendation without quite knowing what you'll be pairing it with. For very sensitive headphones you might get some humming with the WA23 so I may recommend something else.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 24
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 24
If you're looking into a Tambaqui in the future I can tell you that the WA23 Luna is an excellent match with it, but I've replaced the tubes with Takatsuki 2A3 and 274b rectifier which takes its sound to a magical level of refinement, warmth and resolution. Hard to make a recommendation without quite knowing what you'll be pairing it with. For very sensitive headphones you might get some humming with the WA23 so I may recommend something else.
DAC is probably my next step. I ended up going with a JPS wiring edition of the WA33, and then adorned it with some Takasuki/PSvane goodness. Sounds pretty great.

Right now I am running a Chord Dave/BLUII combo, and am looking at moving up to a Nagra HD DAC X or equivalent. Also looking at the Thrax Maximus https://www.thraxaudio.com/maximinus. Both look extremely promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back