Looking for a pair of neutral/warm affordable low impedance dynamic headphones

Which headphones would be best for my use case?

• Philips SHP9600

• Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

• Sennheiser HD 559

• AKG K361

• Other (please specify in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 20, 2021 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dbull12

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using Hifiman HE5XXs for both computer use with an AudioQuest Dragonfly and also for playing guitar at home. Instead of a normal guitar amp I use a Walrus Audio ACS1 pedal, which simulates amp heads and cabinets, and I listen with my HE5XXs. However, I'm thinking about getting new headphones for guitar due to a couple issues. First of all, my pedal is supposed to be used with headphones that have an impedance under 100 ohms. The HE5XXs are 18 ohms, but from what I understand they're still very amp-dependent and are harder to drive since they're planar magnetic. They're also a bit too aggressive and the treble is a bit harsh when I'm playing, so I'd like something that will more accurately reproduce the sound of my guitar and pedals or even add a bit of warmth and be a fun listening experience that inspires me to play. I'm open to either open or closed back and I'm open to suggestions about which might be better for this use case.

The headphones I'm considering are the Philips SHP9600, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 559, and AKG K361. Is there a specific one of these that you all think would fit what I'm looking for the best, or one I've missed that you'd recommend? I'm hoping I can get something around $100 that won't be a real noticeable decrease in sound quality from the HE5XX and will also be more neutral. Also out of curiosity, if you could choose any headphone under $500 for this purpose, which do you think would be best?

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 3
I would be surprised if anything on your list would be better the the HE5XX headphones.
If you plug the headphones into a smartphone, how is the sound?
The Walrus Audio ACS1 petal's headphone jack might not be the best for driving 18-Ohm headphones (impedance issues).
A Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphone amplifier might be better for driving the HE5XX.

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 3
I agree,none of those will be better than the HiFiMan..As for spending $500.00,I have demo'd or owned Audeze LCD-2 Fazor & LCD-2Classic,Sennheiser 598 & 800s,Philips Fidelio2,HiFIMan HE400i & currently have the HFM Sundara.Just a few days ago bought a $500.00 pair of iBasso SR-1.OMG these cans are simply & without a doubt in my mind,SUPERB..They are easy to drive @ 22ohms/108 db.sensitivity,I plugged them into a tiny little Sangean emergency radio & was completely gobsmacked at the wonderful sound.They have such wonderful tone,like a Class A single ended EL34 midrange/treble & Class A Single Ended KT88 Bass!
I am willing to bet good $ that they would be exactly what you want..They are Limited Editions of only 500 units but they have a production version now the SR-2 that you can probably get for your budget..Read the threads here on the iBasso SR-1 & SR-2..
PS:I am a frugal sob who hates spending $ wants SUPERB value for $ spent,I have ZERO regrets about spending $500.00 on them & because they are selling out I actually bought 2 pair,1 new to stash away for my golden years & a gently used pair for everyday listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back