Looking for my first headphone amp for use with my turntable.
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TomH52

New Head-Fier
Please forgive my ignorance as I'm new to all this.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 560S that I would like to use to exclusively listen to records. Unfortunately the headphone out on the front of my Hi-Fi receiver isn't really up to the job, so I would like to get a headphone amplifier that I can run through a splitter out of my phono stage, thereby giving me the option to use headphones and my speakers.

I would like to know whether I will be able to go out of my turntable into my phono stage (Rega Fono MM MK5), then out of the phono stage and into a budget tube amp/preamp (such as the Fosi P2). I was just concerned that effectively using two pre amps might be a problem with clipping or something else.

If it is possible, I'd also really appreciate any opinions on how you think this might sound; would a budget tube amp run the headphones well enough; or is there anything else I might consider--I'm open to any suggestions.

With many thanks in advance!

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Please forgive my ignorance as I'm new to all this.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 560S that I would like to use to exclusively listen to records. Unfortunately the headphone out on the front of my Hi-Fi receiver isn't really up to the job, so I would like to get a headphone amplifier that I can run through a splitter out of my phono stage, thereby giving me the option to use headphones and my speakers.

I would like to know whether I will be able to go out of my turntable into my phono stage (Rega Fono MM MK5), then out of the phono stage and into a budget tube amp/preamp (such as the Fosi P2). I was just concerned that effectively using two pre amps might be a problem with clipping or something else.

If it is possible, I'd also really appreciate any opinions on how you think this might sound; would a budget tube amp run the headphones well enough; or is there anything else I might consider--I'm open to any suggestions.

With many thanks in advance!
Tube amps would be fine, depending on the quality of course. I'd probably grab something from Schiit Audio if I were you - just contact hem for recommendations.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 7
A lot of smaller head amps will offer a pass thru RCA option so you don't double amp the signal on its way to your 2-channel system.

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm not sure this will end up working like you want. As you noted, you can't pull the phono output out of your receiver without it going through the pre-amp section. If you then connect one of the receiver's line outputs to your headphone amplifier, you're double-amping, with all its disadvantages.

You'd be better off finding a really nice phono pre-amp, then connecting it to a headphone amplifier. Forget using your receiver for this. The Hagerman Bugle phono pre-amp is still relatively inexpensive and can get you really good economical performance with a headphone amp. Be careful about other "audiophile" phono pre-amps, however. The Voodoo is very great with turntable cartridges and phono pre-amps. You can pay literally $thousands for a truly elementary circuit packaged in quadruple hand-rubbed padauk and not have it sound as good as the Hagerman Bugle.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm not sure this will end up working like you want. As you noted, you can't pull the phono output out of your receiver without it going through the pre-amp section. If you then connect one of the receiver's line outputs to your headphone amplifier, you're double-amping, with all its disadvantages.

You'd be better off finding a really nice phono pre-amp, then connecting it to a headphone amplifier. Forget using your receiver for this. The Hagerman Bugle phono pre-amp is still relatively inexpensive and can get you really good economical performance with a headphone amp. Be careful about other "audiophile" phono pre-amps, however. The Voodoo is very great with turntable cartridges and phono pre-amps. You can pay literally $thousands for a truly elementary circuit packaged in quadruple hand-rubbed padauk and not have it sound as good as the Hagerman Bugle.
Thank you for your response! I'll also bear this in mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back