Looking for Player Replacement
Apr 23, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 41
Well, it's now back to square one!

I liked using the HiBy Digital M300 mainly for its portability, accessibility with TalkBack, and general workflow. However, I've since found that its main weakness is in music playback and detail retrieval. I've tested back to back against my Sony Walkman that I still own, and the main problem I have with the HiBy is the limiting of the soundstage. When playing the same song, the Sony just has more left to right presence than the HiBy. You can listen to this track to get a test if interested:

A rough representation of what I hear on the HiBy can be found here:

Another thing is that fast forwarding can only be done when screen is unlocked, and there's no way of rewinding within a file. Also, though the HiBy can automatically skip to the next folder, it can't automatically go back to the previous folder. This is something my Sony Walkman can do without any problems. The only good thing the HiBy has over the Sony is the headphone jack, still being new, provides a steady connection. Now the Sony's 3.5MM headphone jack isn't really firm in holding a connection, so the connector rotates when I'm walking and the player's in my pocket, and sometimes might introduce some random noise.

Now that I've used it for a few more days, I conclude my comments about the HiBy this way:

Pros: Android 13, being able to run the latest version of TalkBack;

Good battery life, at least for now I haven't charged it in 5 or 6 days;

Gapless playback and lossless file format support;

Working with micro SD cards with a big storage.

Cons: Dac has limited capabilities, a narrow soundstage and everything sounds a bit close together;

Unable to hold the volume keys for quick adjustments when screen's off;

Unable to fast forward or rewind when screen's off;

Unable to rewind when screen's on;

Unable to skip back to the previous folder when navigating by files using the buttons.

I wanted to like the player very much. But if there are other players that work better than this, while having good accessbility and battery life, I'd opt for something different.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you!

David

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #32 of 41
If you like how the HiBy works, but you want to change the sound, we can explore the possibility of hanging an inexpensive dongle DAC/Amp with player controls off of its USB-C port. Something like the Tanchjim Space, for example. We'll have to check with Joe to see what player controls might work with a dongle like that.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #33 of 41
If you like how the HiBy works, but you want to change the sound, we can explore the possibility of hanging an inexpensive dongle DAC/Amp with player controls off of its USB-C port. Something like the Tanchjim Space, for example. We'll have to check with Joe to see what player controls might work with a dongle like that.
That's a good idea, but will this be just a bit more things to carry? Also, with the limited battery, I feel still the best way is to get a player that works natively. If this is a home setup, I wouldn't mind too much. But we're talking about portable on the road / trip situation.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #34 of 41
That's a good idea, but will this be just a bit more things to carry? Also, with the limited battery, I feel still the best way is to get a player that works natively. If this is a home setup, I wouldn't mind too much. But we're talking about portable on the road / trip situation.

Yeah, the battery!

Soundstage is a funny thing. Some IEMs and DAPs do it better than others. When I want it the way I like, I grab my Little Bear B4-X portable amplifier equipped with upgraded Burson V5i opamps and my 7Hz Timeless IEM. I run a line-out from my Tempotec Variations V6 DAP to the B4-X, mount the Timeless in my ears, and just wallow in the magnificent stage.

What some of us will due for it, eh? :ksc75smile:

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #35 of 41
Yeah, the battery!

Soundstage is a funny thing. Some IEMs and DAPs do it better than others. When I want it the way I like, I grab my Little Bear B4-X portable amplifier equipped with upgraded Burson V5i opamps and my 7Hz Timeless IEM. I run a line-out from my Tempotec Variations V6 DAP to the B4-X, mount the Timeless in my ears, and just wallow in the magnificent stage.

What some of us will due for it, eh? :ksc75smile:
True. :) I hope to have a simple, useful and enjoyable setup. I had it with the Sony Walkman, so I guess I'm just comparing directly to it. I can't help but doing it...

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #36 of 41
Well, it's now back to square one!

I liked using the HiBy Digital M300 mainly for its portability, accessibility with TalkBack, and general workflow. However, I've since found that its main weakness is in music playback and detail retrieval. I've tested back to back against my Sony Walkman that I still own, and the main problem I have with the HiBy is the limiting of the soundstage. When playing the same song, the Sony just has more left to right presence than the HiBy. You can listen to this track to get a test if interested:

A rough representation of what I hear on the HiBy can be found here:

Another thing is that fast forwarding can only be done when screen is unlocked, and there's no way of rewinding within a file. Also, though the HiBy can automatically skip to the next folder, it can't automatically go back to the previous folder. This is something my Sony Walkman can do without any problems. The only good thing the HiBy has over the Sony is the headphone jack, still being new, provides a steady connection. Now the Sony's 3.5MM headphone jack isn't really firm in holding a connection, so the connector rotates when I'm walking and the player's in my pocket, and sometimes might introduce some random noise.

Now that I've used it for a few more days, I conclude my comments about the HiBy this way:

Pros: Android 13, being able to run the latest version of TalkBack;

Good battery life, at least for now I haven't charged it in 5 or 6 days;

Gapless playback and lossless file format support;

Working with micro SD cards with a big storage.

Cons: Dac has limited capabilities, a narrow soundstage and everything sounds a bit close together;

Unable to hold the volume keys for quick adjustments when screen's off;

Unable to fast forward or rewind when screen's off;

Unable to rewind when screen's on;

Unable to skip back to the previous folder when navigating by files using the buttons.

I wanted to like the player very much. But if there are other players that work better than this, while having good accessbility and battery life, I'd opt for something different.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you!

David

Ouch :)

Since you are using the stock HiBy Music Player app, can I get you to try one thing regarding the sound?

Menu->Plugins->Sound Field

Test with settings between 1.0 and 2.0.

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #37 of 41
Ouch :)

Since you are using the stock HiBy Music Player app, can I get you to try one thing regarding the sound?

Menu->Plugins->Sound Field

Test with settings between 1.0 and 2.0.

Cheers,
Joe
You did it, man!!! I slide the slider to 60% and, what I want was beautifully achieved!!! Thank you!!!

Now one more question. I tried some other plugins just for fun, and I want to delete the plugins I don't want to use. Can I do that?

Thanks again!

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #38 of 41
You did it, man!!! I slide the slider to 60% and, what I want was beautifully achieved!!! Thank you!!!

Now one more question. I tried some other plugins just for fun, and I want to delete the plugins I don't want to use. Can I do that?

Thanks again!
Yes, just slide sideways on the lines you don't want

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #40 of 41
Unfortunately I can't swipe the other plugins away. I don't think it's possible with TalkBack. Still, thank you! :)
Oh... You might need to "clear data" on app info / app settings in android to reset the app, if going by yourself. To be fair other people sometimes have the same problem with the plugins being stuck in there too 😅

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #41 of 41
Oh... You might need to "clear data" on app info / app settings in android to reset the app, if going by yourself. To be fair other people sometimes have the same problem with the plugins being stuck in there too 😅
Great, thanks for letting me know. I'll do that, then!

Well, the plugins was a major point today, now I'm more willing to keep my player, especially knowing that other players might not be as TalkBack accessible as this (although it doesn't come with it by default). Thanks again for helping out!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back