Looking for recommendations for balanced sounding IEMs with non-detachable cables
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

asri696

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have been a fan of the old Ostry KC06 and was using it until mine recently got spoilt due to age. I've been trying to find an alternative that is probably similar sounding but with non-detachable cables. I see that most IEMs these days are with detachable ones but generally I prefer non-detachable ones. I'd appreciate some recommendations and thanks much!

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 5
Hmm... what about just adding a tiny dab of glue to a detachable cable to make it more permanent?

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 5
I run my Timeless AE and my ER4SR balanced on my Qudelix 5K. At most, it may be 1-2% better sound quality.

My Timeless AE has a cable with swappable ends so I’ve always used the 2.5mm end with it.

My ER4SR I just recently put a balanced 2.5mm cable on and didn’t immediately notice any difference. If there is a difference it’s no more than a percent or two. The ER4SR likes a bit of power, but it’s still only an IEM.

I have a balanced cable that I tried on my Truthear Hexa as well, but I can’t say I noticed any difference there either. I pretty much only use the Hexa now just with an Apple dongle. It’s an IEM now that I’ll only use for noncritical listening when I want to just simply plug something into my phone or the jack on my laptop.

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 5
I run my Timeless AE and my ER4SR balanced on my Qudelix 5K. At most, it may be 1-2% better sound quality.

My Timeless AE has a cable with swappable ends so I’ve always used the 2.5mm end with it.

My ER4SR I just recently put a balanced 2.5mm cable on and didn’t immediately notice any difference. If there is a difference it’s no more than a percent or two. The ER4SR likes a bit of power, but it’s still only an IEM.

I have a balanced cable that I tried on my Truthear Hexa as well, but I can’t say I noticed any difference there either. I pretty much only use the Hexa now just with an Apple dongle. It’s an IEM now that I’ll only use for noncritical listening when I want to just simply plug something into my phone or the jack on my laptop.
I read it as non detachable on the iem side.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi there,

I have been a fan of the old Ostry KC06 and was using it until mine recently got spoilt due to age. I've been trying to find an alternative that is probably similar sounding but with non-detachable cables. I see that most IEMs these days are with detachable ones but generally I prefer non-detachable ones. I'd appreciate some recommendations and thanks much!

Why would u prefer non-detachable cables?

Cables which are not detachable may be a point of failure down the line, eg awkward yank damaging the cable can render the entire IEM a white elephant. Additionally, some might wanna use aftermarket cables with the IEM for balanced sources, or just for better haptics/less microphonics. Some may also want a detachable IEM to pair with Bluetooth adapters.

So there are many benefits to having a detachable cable, and majority of manufacturers are moving this way for these reasons. You can probably still find some ultra budget IEMs or niche Japanese IEMs that are non-detachable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back