Looking to get first headphones
Mar 24, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 26
Ok so now it's between the dt770 and HFI. Im leaning slightly towards the dt770 just because of comfort and because bowei says the HFI needs more tuning (and i don't think i would know how to tune well). If one noticeably isolates more than the other, that might seal the deal for me.

Now, can anyone recommend a good amp to use with either of these?
Fiio E11 was mentioned before, will probably stick with that.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
If it helps at all I have the DT770/80's, I really enjoy them but i feel as though you would need an amp to get the best out of them because without one I have to put ipod at full volume just to get to a semi-high volume level. 

I'm pairing mine with the Fiio E17, I could have gone with the E7 but I figured why not get a step above. While listening to it you will notice it could be a tad bassy. With the E17 my settings look like(bass -4, Treble +4). Either way I believe its a great pick, just don't keep looking at this website because it makes you want more! 

I don't know if its just mine cause at first it clamped really hard but I tried another pair and it was perfect. Now mine is great and I'm enjoying really well at the moment. I can put more info but at the moment i have to go. 

Yea I asked you for help a couple times, if I remember correctly you had a bunch of baby pandas as your avatar haha. You were always answering my questions that I had. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 26
There is a lot to consider beyond just the headphones.  If you are running off an iPod with no amplification you many of the headphones listed here are going to be under driven.  Their also really big for a portable rig.  I listen to Ultrasones and own the ED 8's and Pro 650's.  The pro 650's were my first venture into higher end headphones.  

To go in a different direction I would strongly recommend exploring the B & W P5's.  They are highly portable and have a really high build quality. Their sound is very good for such a small pair of headphones and they are extremely durable.  I handed mine over to my wife when I bought the Ed 8's.  I put nearly 2,000 hours on them in 2 years and they held up extremely well.  They don't require great amplification, but do benefit from a little extra power.  They come with a great carrying case and seal very well.  And conveniently, you can try them out in any Apple store. I preferred these over the Ultrasone Pro 650's because they have nicer miss.  They are also extremely comfortable with glasses because of their supra aural design.  And the circumaural vs. supra is not as simple as it sounds in terms of sound quality.  Most Grados are supra and sound fantastic.  My go to headphones at home before I Was married were my 325i's.

But I have also owned Beyerdynamic's.  The two have a very different sound signature, so... The Beyer's also require greater amplification and I have seen many people who have damaged them because they don't travel super well.  Read about both and figure out which matches your desired sound.  I would take the Ultrasones for portability because they fold flat, and are pretty rugged with their plastic build.  I never had problems with these and my glasses.  The Beyer's I really like are the 70p, but these are quite a bit above your price range.  And they are not super portable.

For me portability is really important.  I cary my briefcase with me everywhere and even then the larger phones just don't travel super well.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #19 of 26
Good to know Apple :)

Yeah to play the wider range of music that the HFI can. You need to eq it a lot. I dont like software eqs and the only amp based eq i know of in the chep price range is the e17(maybe e7) like rock will sound a littlefar away so u need a treble boost. That sort of thin

Dgiles also makes a great point. You can get many cheaper products to deliver the sound signature or fun ness of these pro ones. However the only fault is that they arent acuirrte. Musically saying these headphones sound can be attained for $50 eith an xb500 and a eq. I can make my xb500 play everything well with the use of massive eq ing. That is just musically however when you are just listening an not caring. The moment you want to care and "hear" your music the ultrasones and beyers pull away and ahead of it all.

The hfis are deadly with glasses. I tried wearing them with my friends glasses to test an boy.... Oh boy. I would say beyers. They arent as agressive which is good for newbies. They are very light and comfortable and play a larger selection of music without needing to activeley eq.

Some peoples ears have been tainted by bad sound already. It may take 2 weeks to heal you so buy off amazon or in a store with a headphone return policy.. Amazon seems to be best. And listen to them for 2 weeks vefore making any judgements

Like they said previously.. Thr 770/80 do need just a bit more power than an ipod has sadly. If you dont listen too loud. Then its fine but if you end up finding that its not loud enough. The fiio e6 is a good cheap amp to make it louder an also gas some eqs on it which are popular. The e6 is $30

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #21 of 26
Hello, for out and about and at home, if I only had one, it would be HD25-1, with or without an amp (better with). Bigger cans out and about may struggle with isolation (even dt770-80 pro) and are unwieldy in practice - I have tried all mine out and about  :wink:  If I was in the market, I would also look at DT1350.

Good luck.

Best

James 

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 26
If the HFI is really that bad with glasses, then i'll just go with the 770s. These are my beginner phones and I can always upgrade in the future.
Question is now should i go with the e6 or e11 for an amp? Or something else?

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
If the HFI is really that bad with glasses, then i'll just go with the 770s. These are my beginner phones and I can always upgrade in the future.
Question is now should i go with the e6 or e11 for an amp? Or something else?

I found the DT770/80's like i have said above to be like ultrasone's but minus s-logic with a more passive sound signature that is better for newbies and people that like that signature. I wasn't able to test the beyers enough to know if they were more accurate  in sound and audio reproduction and all that fancy stuff. the highs that just fall off and start lurching and loose bass says otherwise.

with head fi..you will be upgrading in a few months :) i would say stay away but that is impossible :) only way to get a resitant cream or something against the upgradeitis bug..for a small time and to make the efects smaller (in the long run, in the short run it will make it larger) is to gain rank on this site.

I found my FiiO E17 to be fantastic with the Beyer. The beyer's are and as manyothers say are similar to the ultrasone's in sound signature and prone to bassy genre's so i would say the more bassy and universal FiiO would be better than something like a cmoy but hey. i don't know for sure. I would say that if someone has both an FiiO and a cmoy and the DT77/80 they should chime in and tell me which is better actually. But FiiO is more universal. The E11. definateley. It is arguably the most post about amp in the portable amp section of this forums(cheap price and newbs post in that part) (i don't mean any disrespect from newb, there isn't another easy to type and direct to meaning word other than that.)

I liked a bass boost with the Beyer's. so my E17 did the trick.. but again. if someone has both fiio and cmoy with DT770/80 and listens and likes the genre's that the OP does(this is also important) then chime in.

burn the DT770s in for a bit. the shrill highs(you won't hear it for most songs, it was fine until i played one of my songs with very hot vocals and highs that it was ....so noticeable and only at the upper regions. The looser bass than my HFI's was also noticeable. I didn't want to whip too much high or lows on those cans due to those problems i faced so i am not able to give you any more info)

very very comfortable though :) another user i had some posts with Hyogen also wears glasses and loves them :) i liked them too but they were too similar to my HFI's with sonic deficiencies so i couldn't have bought them. 

They are very light and feel..breakable at times(but don't..since they are german quality made :) ]  so be careful and don't just shove it into your backpack. the ultrasones..are a metal and hard plastic based headphone just light enough to be portable and just heavy enough to be a tank :)

I feel pretty good right now. In the bottom right corner of the screen on this post there is a thumbs up button. On Head-Fi it doesn't mean anything really but I feel like getting one right now. If you found my post helpful could I get one? :) I'm feeling good today.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
Haha i didn't even notice the thumbs up :)

So it's dt770+E11 for me.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me, it was very much appreciated

I didn't notice at first too :) heck back when i started I asked if head-fi could include a thumbs up feature as i wanted to give sooo many. And guess what.. I got trolled for being blind.

If it's possible please come back with impressions on how you find them. Allow for up to 2 weeks to clear your ears if you have many...mainstream and tainted ear problems many have(i had it too) Buy from a place that has easy returns in case something goes wrong or the sound signature was not to your liking or something(unlikely, Beyer's are very universal)

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 26

Quote:

I didn't notice at first too :) heck back when i started I asked if head-fi could include a thumbs up feature as i wanted to give sooo many. And guess what.. I got trolled for being blind.

If it's possible please come back with impressions on how you find them. Allow for up to 2 weeks to clear your ears if you have many...mainstream and tainted ear problems many have(i had it too) Buy from a place that has easy returns in case something goes wrong or the sound signature was not to your liking or something(unlikely, Beyer's are very universal)

Will do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back