low impedance headphones with tube amp
Sep 27, 2011 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

starNdust

100+ Head-Fier
would the denon d2000 or the little dot mk 3 matches if not what could happen if i use them together for long time , any damage can happen and what could i gain in term of sound 
thanx 

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 3
My D2000 has been A-ok so far after months of being amped from the MK2.  The Little Dot is a decent match with the Denon as well.  Brings the highs down a bit and reinforces the mids, but I don't doubt that there is a slight loss of dynamics when compared to a solid state.  Most people recommend a solid state for the D2000.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 3
You want a tube amp with a low output impedance. Typically, one with output transformers because tubes have a high output impedance. The only OTL with a low output impedance is the Zana Deux, because the 6C33C has a low output impedance.

If you use an amp with an output impedance higher than the headphone impedance, you lose the damping factor and control is poor.

Yes, it will "work," but your headphones won't sound anywhere as good as they could.

Solid state always has a low output impedance. It's always cheaper to buy a quality solid state amp than a quality tube amp with output transformers. The output transformers and high voltage power transformers are expensive. Probably $300-$400 for quality ones, not counting everything else. Solid state also costs less to manufacture (generally), so solid state is the best option on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back