Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #1,336 of 1,430
Just got my W4 and love it, but had a couple of questions.

Does anyone notice a popping noise when pressing play/pause with Tidal? It's not a big deal but a little annoying.

Also I noticed there's a NOS filter. Is this a delta sigma DAC? A bit confused since NOS is usually an R2R thing.

And finally, is it worth updating firmware? Any new features?

The popping noise play/pause may be down to the cable you use. The included one is not of high quality get a better if you can.
This is a sigma delta dac indeed, and the NOS filter is to give you a closer sound to a 2r2 dac. Updating the firmware it's a must imwill say. Very easy to do and latest firmware bring other iem profiles such as IE900 and the ability to play/decode native DSD512. And the changes are on the first page.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,337 of 1,430

Does anyone notice a popping noise when pressing play/pause with Tidal? It's not a big deal but a little annoying.

Also I noticed there's a NOS filter. Is this a delta sigma DAC? A bit confused since NOS is usually an R2R thing.

Are you using UAPP or Tidal direct. There were some reports on Tidal USB driver acting up recently, check BTR7 thread. And try UAPP if on Android.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #1,339 of 1,430
I will be receiving a W4 in the coming weeks. Excited to try it out. Hopefully the 4.4 female handles better with Pentaconn than the RU7.
Hope your new W4 solves your problems!
However, If your jack is slightly (not visibly) corroded, it can reduce contact quality and put extra stress on both the male and female connectors. Caig Deoxit G5 Gold, is one of the best products to remove minor oxidation, and provide a conductive lubricant. Might be a good idea to try this on your earphone jacks. For example: https://www.techni-tool.com/product/218CH054-G100L-2C Several folks sell it on eBay. These little tubes seem expensive, but you only use a tiny amount. It is available in spray cans, but you'll waste a lot trying to spray small jacks. And a cheap way to prevent damage to connectors on expensive gear.

If you want or need to do a better cleaning first, Caig Deoxit D5 is a great electronics cleaner. (Lots of guitar players use it to rejuvenate faders and eliminate scratching and poor internal contacts.) Battery contacts, automotive bulbs and other connectors, etc...

Some audiophiles use the Deoxit G5 Gold on all their audio connectors

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #1,340 of 1,430

Firmware update might also help the pop sound… Hope you’re enjoying your new W4!!

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #1,342 of 1,430
Finally bought one, getting sick of carrying around my Q7 and the DC04 Pro not always cutting it for me.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,344 of 1,430
For those who want to make the sound of our beloved W4 even more special, I would recommend listening to it with the Astell&Kern AKPA10 which gives the dongle a softer, richer, denser sound, leaving the rendering of details and the width of the soundstage unchanged, or rather increasing it. A truly excellent combination that makes the W4 even more complete and enjoyable from a sound point of view, allowing it to drive heavier loads with greater authority.

w4pa10.jpg

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #1,345 of 1,430
For those who want to make the sound of our beloved W4 even more special, I would recommend listening to it with the Astell&Kern AKPA10 which gives the dongle a softer, richer, denser sound, leaving the rendering of details and the width of the soundstage unchanged, or rather increasing it. A truly excellent combination that makes the W4 even more complete and enjoyable from a sound point of view, allowing it to drive heavier loads with greater authority.

Nice setup.

Here's another combination that works very well. W4 to Brise Tsuranagi. The Brise Accurate USB cable already enhances W4's soundstage, but coupled with the Tsuranagi is really amazing. No longer that portable though.
1000026886.jpg

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #1,346 of 1,430
Nice setup.

Here's another combination that works very well. W4 to Brise Tsuranagi. The Brise Accurate USB cable already enhances W4's soundstage, but coupled with the Tsuranagi is really amazing. No longer that portable though.
1000026886.jpg
What tips are those mounted on the IE900?

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #1,348 of 1,430
Btw, I've also tried the trick with the powered USB hub and I do feel it brings some improvement over the stock cable alone, but not over a good cable, like the Brise. I reckon some cables are better at separating the power lines from the signal ones, which is probably what the powered hub does for a fraction of the price. I can't remember who was the first one to mention the hub hack, but well done.

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #1,349 of 1,430
Btw, I've also tried the trick with the powered USB hub and I do feel it brings some improvement over the stock cable alone, but not over a good cable, like the Brise. I reckon some cables are better at separating the power lines from the signal ones, which is probably what the powered hub does for a fraction of the price. I can't remember who was the first one to mention the hub hack, but well done.
I was the one who did it and the USB hub is a PulWtop which, in addition to separating the signal, greatly increases the power of the dongle. :wink:

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #1,350 of 1,430
I was the one who did it and the USB hub is a PulWtop which, in addition to separating the signal, greatly increases the power of the dongle. :wink:
Thanks, then :)
I ended up getting an Aceele hub, on the basis of it being available immediately. I think most powered hubs do the trick. Anyway, from my experience, dongles are very likely to benefit from this hack, whereas self powered devices are mostly immune. The RU7 also shines when connected via Brise, the RME desktop DAC sounds the same with the stock cheap looking cable or a more advanced one.
I think I'l start designing a box to hold the hub and the battery in place, just to improve the ergonomics. Do you reckon a battery of 2600 mAh would be enough, or rather aim for a 10000mAh one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back