Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #3,350 of 3,356
I personally prefer the single tube on top of my Lyr 3 over an adaptor with 2 6J5 and I'm able to resist any sonic advantages that may have for now. But I'm weak and always curious so I can also see this happening at some point lol.
..... [2 x 6J5] ---> 🤜😫 [1 x 6SN7] in Lyr 3 !! Especially if one uses Ken-Rad or GEC !!

May 21, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #3,351 of 3,356
TL;DR: Question, does anyone here know if Schiit fixes the sound cutoff at a certain hz region?

Longer version: Ive had this amp for years now, bought it here used, actually. At one point it killed my Aryas but luckily they were covered under Hifimans warranty. The original seller also gave me the info I needed to get the Lyr 3 fixed as well (They claimed it was a bad headphone jack that they replaced)

I had mentioned at the time about a sound cutoff issue when I went to RMA the unit and I think they said they were unable to reproduce it, so it was never addressed/fixed. I still have the issue, obviously. I recall some time ago somebody was able to pinpoint what sound it was that was making the unit shut off for 10-15 seconds and posted a DIY guide to fix it. A clear manufacturing defect if there was any, effected pretty much all Lyr 3 units I think?

I was looking into new gear but also saw Schiit updated their inside dac units. Both the new ones are actually solid things for the price..... You also get a warranty for 2 years for the unit when you get it. I would totally rather just get this, IF they'd be willing to fix this issue. Anyone have experience with this? Cause if the answer is no, I'll go back to researching new gear. If the answer is yes, I'd rather send it in, grab the upgrade & fix + call it a day.

Thank you!

Edit: The issue :)

May 21, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #3,352 of 3,356
I am now scared to use mine. Never had any issues though.

May 21, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #3,353 of 3,356
TL;DR: Question, does anyone here know if Schiit fixes the sound cutoff at a certain hz region?

Longer version: Ive had this amp for years now, bought it here used, actually. At one point it killed my Aryas but luckily they were covered under Hifimans warranty. The original seller also gave me the info I needed to get the Lyr 3 fixed as well (They claimed it was a bad headphone jack that they replaced)

I had mentioned at the time about a sound cutoff issue when I went to RMA the unit and I think they said they were unable to reproduce it, so it was never addressed/fixed. I still have the issue, obviously. I recall some time ago somebody was able to pinpoint what sound it was that was making the unit shut off for 10-15 seconds and posted a DIY guide to fix it. A clear manufacturing defect if there was any, effected pretty much all Lyr 3 units I think?

I was looking into new gear but also saw Schiit updated their inside dac units. Both the new ones are actually solid things for the price..... You also get a warranty for 2 years for the unit when you get it. I would totally rather just get this, IF they'd be willing to fix this issue. Anyone have experience with this? Cause if the answer is no, I'll go back to researching new gear. If the answer is yes, I'd rather send it in, grab the upgrade & fix + call it a day.

Thank you!

Edit: The issue :)

Is the trip out frequency a low frequency and it occurs at high volume? May be tripping on thermal overload, though it’s hard to imagine anyone could actually listen because of how loud that would be.

May 21, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #3,354 of 3,356
Is the trip out frequency a low frequency and it occurs at high volume? May be tripping on thermal overload, though it’s hard to imagine anyone could actually listen because of how loud that would be.
There was (is) an audio clip that someone posted here some time ago (quite a while) that tripped the DC protect circuit of some units. I tested it on both of my units at a moderate volume that I would normally listen to and it tripped one of them into DC protect and it came back after some 10 seconds or so.

I had a look at the clip in audacity and although it is a continuous audio clip, it stays consistently below the zero line for an extended time (several seconds, more than just a few as far as I can remember), and therefore it’s arguably correct that it does trip the protection as it genuinely has a DC component there. Not just a low frequency signal, but a signal including extended negative voltage. Now some may argue that the protection circuit is too sensitive, but other than that one clip I have never had it trip on any of my music nor watching tv/movies, so for me it is a non-issue, but YMMV of course.

May 22, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #3,356 of 3,356
Huh, I thought this was a universal thing. Either way, when this was finally figured out I remember a lot of people coming out in various places with this issue but if I had to guess most of them probably moved on from the Lyr 3 unlike me lol.

I have got this issue triggered in various songs, games & movies throughout the years. The worst being when I was deep into CS:GO with the older gun sound era, it would trigger often enough that I had to use onboard audio when I played any competitive games in case it triggered at the wrong time.

If there are units that don't have it, it's clearly fixable! Nobody here has had any experience with trying to get it fixed by Schiit though =/ I really don't want to send it back to them and them tell me "We couldn't reproduce the issue" again. The issue is real, whether they can reproduce it or not and frankly should be fixed for free to anyone who still has a unit with the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back