MANDARINES foam ear tips...... perfection
May 8, 2016 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

yacobx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I few months back i stumbled upon a father and son team creating foam ear tips that claimed to not have the same problems that comply does with treble reduction. After extensive use on multiple IEM I can confirm that these do exactly what they claim. When using them it is so comfortable and the sound seems so unaffected and effortless, truly something everyone should try for the total cost of 3 bucks! I have never used a CIEM but I imagine this is what they sound like. The father is a member of head fi and I love to see passionate people create things that help us enjoy our music more. 

They have 2 different sizes. Here is the link to one of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Foam-Eartips-MANDARINES-4-5-Universals/121969552068?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3De6f1ea4efe5a469595f9ab89e3a7591d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D121969537690

*** I have no affiliation with these guys, I paid full price for these tips***

May 9, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 49
Nice! looks like a better and cheaper alternative compared to the comply's. How long have you been using it for? Does the foam like peel off or flake off due to sweat and oil...?

May 9, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 49
Nice! looks like a better and cheaper alternative compared to the comply's. How long have you been using it for? Does the foam like peel off or flake off due to sweat and oil...?

The haven't changed for the few months I've had them but I do take really good care of them. Ie I use my shirt to squeeze them down so I don't get extra oil on them. The foam is made by 3m do its high quality

May 9, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 49
The haven't changed for the few months I've had them but I do take really good care of them. Ie I use my shirt to squeeze them down so I don't get extra oil on them. The foam is made by 3m do its high quality

Thanks man! I will probably look into it in the not so near future haha!

May 26, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 49
I just ordered two pairs.  Had my eyes on these for a while. 

I've been fighting with getting a good fit on a few IEMs, I hope these will solve my problems.

--

I actually was talking to the maker of these and I'm pretty sure I mentioned your name as someone who needs to review them. Lol.

May 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 49
I actually was talking to the maker of these and I'm pretty sure I mentioned your name as someone who needs to review them. Lol.

Well thank you for the shout out.  I never heard from the owner, but I will post up my thoughts on the tips when I get them.  
cool.gif

--

May 26, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 49

Well thank you for the shout out.  I never heard from the owner, but I will post up my thoughts on the tips when I get them.  :cool:

--

I looked back through my notes, I forgot to mention you, I knew I was missing in of the active reviewers. My b.

May 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 49
I looked back through my notes, I forgot to mention you, I knew I was missing in of the active reviewers. My b.

No worries.  Ha.  I'll hopefully receive them in the next week or so, then I will post up some photos and my thoughts.  

May 26, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 49
I don't post much in here lately, thought I  would whip this off to give the thread a worthy bump.
A sort of train of thought thing not really edited aside from spelling.
Maybe it will help someone, at least it will add some impressions and be backed up in part by others later ( possibly :p )

Of course case-specific with these 2 iems.

Just got 8 sets in tonight ( 4 sets of each ) and got rather impressed after testing a couple of things out.
The envelope they came in was a really neat thing, sealed at the top with a small plug of the Mandarine foam.

A nice personal handwritten note enclosed! "Enjoy music! "

( ^ as member  [size=14px][b]duggeh[/b][/size] would say )

* I find I have to hold these in place slightly longer than the other foams here, but not really a big deal you'll know when they are seated. We're talking a few seonds really, figured it was worth a mention.
Their ebay pages state 15-30 seconds as well. Slower than say, Comply or possibly the Westones

So far I managed to try them out on 2 dynamic iems.
Effects stated below seem especially noticable to me.

One I specifically ordered from Japan through Rinkya before they were completely phased out. A reverse-firing 13.6 mm dynamic driver.
Due to the odd shape of the housing and cable entry setup they were almost impossible to get a proper fit without them gradually falling out
frown.gif
( and changing sound ) when using silicones.
Yes I use shirt clips.
Completely maddening!
Plus other foams were too much of a boom factor still.
At least 5 or 6 different tips tried previously- From Sony Hybrids all the way through various brands and to V-moda, plus the big name foam.
They stay in place now so there is no gradual low-end change as they used to have when the creepage factor of other tips was happening.
Not only do I get a great fit with these, but the sound is far improved.

I perceive the low end seems tightened up.
Bolder and more solidly  uhh... tight I suppose plus increased easily perceived note separation. Almost a non-sterile type of bold/tight, hard to describe. I want to say like a chunk of solid rubber, without too much of the overly springy bounce sound. But not "rubbery" per se = (LOL . I prefer to use other descriptors that might give people another interesting way to figure out sound as you can see. )
I don't hear this exactly from other foams with these iems.

Of course on top of that the mid and top end detail is now exposed and gloriously present.
No more being drowned out or overstepped/hazed up by the low end, plus the top end does present some more precision and clarity

Proximity to the ears with no extended-tip  bass channelling? Better seal? Better sonics from the particular foam type controlling the low end in my ear canals more?
It all adds up to =
Honestly who cares I love what I'm hearing.

So basically I have taken an excellent capable iem ( when at the few seconds sweet spot ) that sat lately on the rack for complete and total  lack of suitable fit and tips, and made them something to look forward to using.
 It's rather like owning a new iem the more I think about it.

The second IEM I am using them on now is another 13.6mm dynamic, with a dual bass chamber and same sort of goofy fit and seat in the ears.
I am getting similar results with this one, but I previously found these rather slightly dull, likely from some excess bloom and slight lack of low end control.
Likely similar reasons as the above.
Things have cleared right up.
Low end levels also have not decreased but the overall perception of the bass is easier to follow the individual notes now.

I don't see the point in mentioning volume levels, nor sources used etc etc etc since I am comparing the before and after on the same devices with the exact same few tracks, and it is a before vs after effect.

Love the fact that the smallest tweaks can give some of the greatest benefits.

Might send a few around to some other folks and see what they think also.

I'm sneaky that way.

See what I can hear on some other things here in the next little while.

~N

May 27, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 49
Twinqy = don't think you'll be disappointed.

The overall effect from these on the first IEM I spoke about in my previous post is blowing my mind to put it bluntly.
confused_face_2.gif

Earlier I mentioned something about the tonality of the low end and, well, all the rest of it ( that goofy solid-rubber-but-not-rubber allegory ).
 I couldn't find the correct words to describe it at the time, but am now fairly certain upon careful extended further listening that in addition to their physical dimensions not protruding past the nozzles along with the seal/fit, that these are imparting some sort of additional damping effect on the iem housings.

Basically what I couldn't place earlier was that they give results that approach what I have done with Sorbothane damping/treatment on a ton of fullsized headphones ( Sorbothane thread and Orthodynamic Roundup thread mainly ) There's definitely that "flavour" in these and unless someone has heard what it does... no amount of graphing etc can make you understand that sound.
Has to be heard.
So = Really good!

I'll be ordering more that's for sure.

May 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 49
Guys, these are orange foam earplugs which have been cut to size and a hole made with a hole punch...

Look at them closely.

But if you're enjoying them I'm not here to burst any bubbles (honestly)

Please enjoy them, however they can easily be purchased from any hardware store or chemist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back