Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #453 of 491
I was told that this combination with the Aeolus would be harsh and the amp would be underpowered, but it's the exact opposite. I was shocked to find out how smooth, yet detailed and snappy the sound was, with great dynamics. It's totally my style, and different enough from my OTL and hybrid amps to justify owning it. I got it for 230€ used, and it seems like a massive bargain considering it's a couple months old, and it's Finland so taxes and all. I don't have use for the built-in dac for now, but it's nice to have the option for the future.

After reading the review at ASR, I'm left pretty damn confused. Why didn't they even try the balanced side? The difference is beyond massive, like a completely different amp. Whatever the case might be, I'm super glad my friend got me to try his, despite my preconceptions. It took me less than an hour to start looking for one to buy.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #454 of 491
So I've seen people rag on the LCX a lot, but now that I've heard one, I don't get why.

The review for the LCX on an external site (which I think was "moderated" away from this thread) says why: that "warmth" you are hearing is distortion. It's part of the Alex Cavalli signature sound. If you don't like that, then don't buy one. Personally, I like the sound, but then again I'm a tube guy so there you go.

The other site did their testing with SE and complained about lack of clean power. For me, I am running XLRs from my DAC to the amp, and balanced cables to my 'phones. Everyone acknowledges that this amp was designed around an end-to-end balanced topology, with SE connections for convenience.

For $200, I think people need to lighten up.

May 23, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #455 of 491
For any Canucks on the forum, just put my LCX up on CAM.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #456 of 491
I have couple of question regarding the LCX + SDAC
Im currently using the CTH with an unbalanced dac. Is it worth upgrading to LCX or should I upgrade to THX AAA 789? also I have heard that the sdac on the LCX is not that great and runs hot, if I were to get the LCX would it be better to pair off with a extermal dac (smsl su-8 for example) or the sdac is good enough?
Main can is hd6xx and some other iems (iem sounds great on the cth but I have hissing sound on them.)

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #457 of 491
@grooveriders I wouldn't call the LCX an upgrade to the CTH, both should have that "Cavalli" sound that most buy these amps for. I have the LCX w/SDAC and love that it is so versatile, the SDAC is stand alone USB powered so can be used w./other amps w/o powering on the LCX. I also have the SU-8 which can even be used in balanced mode if desired, but honestly I can tell little difference balanced or SE, and really hear little difference over the Grace SDAC as well. I bought the SU-8 to use with the 789 before realizing the 789 is not a truly balanced I/O amp; the 789 would definitely be a huge upgrade over the CTH power wise, but be prepared for a very sterile flat sound, nothing like the color the LCX adds. I use the x Airist Audio R-2R DAC most of the time with the 789 to add some tube like warmth to the audio chain.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #458 of 491
@grooveriders I wouldn't call the LCX an upgrade to the CTH, both should have that "Cavalli" sound that most buy these amps for. I have the LCX w/SDAC and love that it is so versatile, the SDAC is stand alone USB powered so can be used w./other amps w/o powering on the LCX. I also have the SU-8 which can even be used in balanced mode if desired, but honestly I can tell little difference balanced or SE, and really hear little difference over the Grace SDAC as well. I bought the SU-8 to use with the 789 before realizing the 789 is not a truly balanced I/O amp; the 789 would definitely be a huge upgrade over the CTH power wise, but be prepared for a very sterile flat sound, nothing like the color the LCX adds. I use the x Airist Audio R-2R DAC most of the time with the 789 to add some tube like warmth to the audio chain.

Thanks for the input, I really love the sound of the CTH but I feel like it lacks some power to fully drive the hd6xx, I have tried the hd650 at the local audio store and they sound much "fuller" on the larger amp (I have no idea which amp it was).
Another newbie question, Can I use the balanced xlr output with unbalanced signal input from dac, would it damage the amp?
Now Im leaning towards THX 789, using the same dac and save up some money for 2nd hand hd800s (around 900usd).

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #459 of 491
@grooveriders The 789 is easy to recommend and will effortlessly drive inefficient HPs; many describe it as an amplified wire desired by most purists. The balanced XLR inputs are joined and then split out again to balanced on the 789 so one would notice little difference using balanced or unbalanced (RCA). Most Drop amps have RCA pass through connections so it is easy to daisy chain a single unbalanced DAC. The LCX is balanced from input to output so some improvement may be noticed by using a balance DAC, but certainly not required as the model w/SDAC is an unbalance DAC. Both the LCX and the 789 provide both balanced and unbalanced output from an unbalanced source.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #460 of 491
@grooveriders The 789 is easy to recommend and will effortlessly drive inefficient HPs; many describe it as an amplified wire desired by most purists. The balanced XLR inputs are joined and then split out again to balanced on the 789 so one would notice little difference using balanced or unbalanced (RCA). Most Drop amps have RCA pass through connections so it is easy to daisy chain a single unbalanced DAC. The LCX is balanced from input to output so some improvement may be noticed by using a balance DAC, but certainly not required as the model w/SDAC is an unbalance DAC. Both the LCX and the 789 provide both balanced and unbalanced output from an unbalanced source.
Thanks again eeagle! I thought the sdac was a balanced dac. Now everything is clear to me. I have decided to upgrade to the 789 and keep the old dac!!
Thanks again for the help

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #461 of 491
I am jumping in here as the owner of a Cavalli Liquid Carbon from the first release back five years or so ago. I have underutilized my LC, I confess, partly because I don't have an entire audio system built around it that does it justice. What I would like to do atm is play music through my laptop (Dell XPS) and use the Liquid Carbon when I choose higher impedance headphones like my also underutilized Sennheiser HD600's. I tried this earlier today playing Tidal computer app output through an Audioengine D3 DAC/amp. I connected the laptop/DAC to the Cavalli using a 3.5mm to RCA connector cable. The Senns have a balanced cable to plug into the four pin XLR output from the Cavalli.

I have to say that the results were underwhelming. They were ok for quiet classical music, but when I went to vintage rock the sound seemed thin and distant. I suspect that what I am feeding the Cavalli is inappropriate somehow, what I have is badly matched equipment. When I use an XPS/Audioengine/Philips Fidelio X2 system the sound actually seems a bit better than what I was getting through the "better" system involving the Cavalli and the Senns.

Ok, I guess I am trying to get by here on the cheap and maybe that is not possible. I ask: what would I need in terms of upstream components to get the most out of the Cavalli. Do I need a better DAC? How much better? I suppose if worse comes to worst I can sell the Cavelli, but I would like to try to coax some performance out of it before giving up.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, CA

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #462 of 491
I am jumping in here as the owner of a Cavalli Liquid Carbon from the first release back five years or so ago. I have underutilized my LC, I confess, partly because I don't have an entire audio system built around it that does it justice. What I would like to do atm is play music through my laptop (Dell XPS) and use the Liquid Carbon when I choose higher impedance headphones like my also underutilized Sennheiser HD600's. I tried this earlier today playing Tidal computer app output through an Audioengine D3 DAC/amp. I connected the laptop/DAC to the Cavalli using a 3.5mm to RCA connector cable. The Senns have a balanced cable to plug into the four pin XLR output from the Cavalli.

I have to say that the results were underwhelming. They were ok for quiet classical music, but when I went to vintage rock the sound seemed thin and distant. I suspect that what I am feeding the Cavalli is inappropriate somehow, what I have is badly matched equipment. When I use an XPS/Audioengine/Philips Fidelio X2 system the sound actually seems a bit better than what I was getting through the "better" system involving the Cavalli and the Senns.

Ok, I guess I am trying to get by here on the cheap and maybe that is not possible. I ask: what would I need in terms of upstream components to get the most out of the Cavalli. Do I need a better DAC? How much better? I suppose if worse comes to worst I can sell the Cavelli, but I would like to try to coax some performance out of it before giving up.

I for one can not stand the HD-6XX’s with the Liquid Carbon (first run owner as well). While they do have different frequency response they do have the same tonality. My HD-800’s are very good with it but just don’t care for the 6XX’s at all with it. I also can see the X2’s not being that great as well. It has that just a touch of warmth Cavalli sound and for me it is my go to with my planars if I don’t have my Master 9 up and running.
It truly does a excellent job at running my Abyss.
I doubt that the dac would make a whole lot of difference as by specs it does do 2 volts which is the norm for a line output but have not heard it so can’t say for sure.
Well after reading your post a bit more thin and distant is not something I would attribute to the Liquid Carbon at all.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #463 of 491
I for one can not stand the HD-6XX’s with the Liquid Carbon (first run owner as well). While they do have different frequency response they do have the same tonality. My HD-800’s are very good with it but just don’t care for the 6XX’s at all with it. I also can see the X2’s not being that great as well. It has that just a touch of warmth Cavalli sound and for me it is my go to with my planars if I don’t have my Master 9 up and running.
It truly does a excellent job at running my Abyss.
I doubt that the dac would make a whole lot of difference as by specs it does do 2 volts which is the norm for a line output but have not heard it so can’t say for sure.
Well after reading your post a bit more thin and distant is not something I would attribute to the Liquid Carbon at all.

I think the "thin and distant" is the quality of the recordings. Even "remastered" tracks from the 1960s sometimes aren't very good.
DG

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #464 of 491

Make sure the volume on your computer/DAC is all the way up to make sure the signal is not attenuated and control the volume with the cavalli. If you want best of cavalli get a balanced DAC with XLR output to connect to the carbon. Schiit just released modius for 199.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #465 of 491
Have a Liquid Carbon that is attached to a A & K Kann Cube by the XLR cables supplied with the Cube. Just bought a Focal Arche with Focal Stelia Headphones. Is there any way I can attach the Liquid Carbon to the Arche?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back